Tommy Armstrong should start against SDSU or...

Martinez should start and only play 1 quarter. I love Martinez, but if the kid is not healthy he shouldn't need to play against South Dakota State. It's unnesesarry. It gives Armstrong much needed experience and Martinez time to get right. Not only that, but maybe it will light a fire under Taylor's ass. TO did it with Frazier and Berringer in the 90's. We're playing South Dakota Shhhtate and what better time. But that's just me.

Bo doesn't have the stones to do it. He'll never create drama on the team. That's part of the issue.

The QB battle is as much as a battle as Bo makes it. If X really is playing better than Taylor in practice, do you really think practice is going to give X more reps than Taylor? Nope, because that will create a rift in the system. I can't count how many times Taylor has proven to be completely ineffective - see my numerous posts about us not winning anything of significance with Taylor at the helm - against better competition. His inability to throw the ball coupled with his inability to now run the ball, puts us in a pretty sh**ty situation. Love it or hate it, I'm not so sure Beck wouldn't have put in a new QB at this juncture as Beck thinks Taylor is limited in the plays he can run in comparison to other QBs on the roster.

When was the last time Taylor was a running threat? Don't give me the injury crap, that is very recent. I'll wait.

When was the last time we ran a screen? Any deep route combinations that take time to develop?

Have you ever trusted Taylor throwing into tight spaces? Have you ever trusted him to win a game with his arm for us, picking apart a defense with his throws?

When was the last time you watched Taylor in the pocket and knew he wasn't going to make some boneheaded throw and just loft it up there? For me, every time he goes back there it is a guessing game as to what he may do. Lose 10 yards trying to avoid a sack instead of throwing it away? Making an errant throw and getting intercepted? Fumbling?

The sad reality is this. Taylor is no longer a viable QB for Nebraska. The other team plays pattycake waiting for Taylor to throw. They hardly even try to pressure him and force him to throw, because they don't thiink he can beat them with his arm. How many coaches or players have we heard say this?

I have a lot more beef with our offense than defense right now, as our offense was supposed to be our crutch this season. They are proving to be worse than our defense, and that is pathetic.

I believe in Bo, with the caveat that something is done about Taylor. We are too limited with him.

Wow. Here I go. Rant time. And it's not gonna be what you would normally expect from me.

First off, I was furious from the opening kickoff of our playcalling. What Beck did yesterday from start to finish is just mind boggling (well, maybe not mind boggling, becuase this kind of ridiculousness has become way too common). Trying to use Taylor as a pass first qb and all. I just didnt understand. And then the type of passes. Short dink and dunk. I thought we were watchin 2004 all over again. The only time it appeared effective is when Kenny Bell took matters into his own hands and turned a negative 2 yard route into a 15 yard gain time and time again. When we stretched the field (td passes to Enunwa and Bell) it was clearly obvious that UCLA did not have the personell to deal with our deep receiving core. But yet we refused to stretch the field whatsoever beyond the 21-3 lead, with agitated me greatly. Where were all the wrinkles? Where was the "turnin Taylor loose" that we expected. I would like to ask Bo and Beck first hand "guys, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE HOLDING BACK FOR". This was the BIG game we were preppin for. Who give's a f#*k about Michigan and so on. Let's play for now. I really believe this is a mentality within the staff. And it hurts. I just wish for once, we could play for today and just do what we do. I watched other games yesterday and last night, and saw teams appear to just run what they run, and follow their identity, regardless of the competition.

Which brings me to my point on Taylor Martinez. He's been a great player for us. I believe at times he's beein shorthanded from lack of defense, to lack of Oline and so on. Yesterday he was extremely handicapped due to lack of savy of an Offensive coordinator. The playcalling did not whatsoever play to the strengths that we as fans have easily identified of this unit the first two games. It also turned Taylor into something he's not, but into something he's not even close to competent in doing. If we're gonna play offense as we did yesterday, Ron Kellogg is a better choice at qb. And I dont know if it's even close it's so obvious. He throws a better ball, and if you watch his play in the spring game, he is constantly looking around and progressing through choices. He just has a better mental grasp in a multiple choice route combination. No mention of Tommy Armstrong yet. That's coming in a bit.

Now the intriguing part in my eyes regarding Taylor Martinez. I really dont want to throw this kid under the bus. It's his senior season. He's put in obvious work and is a fantastic young man. But what I really noticed yesterday immediately, is he still cant handle the "moment" or the "spotlight". Over throwing his first few passes. He just appeared to be a little overwhelmed again by the pressure, the moment, and the weight of the game. Now, he did settle in much quicker than he used to, but over time, and especially when he was called on to make plays, he just couldnt get it done.

Now it takes a turn. He shows up at the post-game press conference with a boot on his foot. Now, I'm no doctor, but I've sprained and twisted ankley. I've broken toes and so on. And I'm assuming that the use of a boot means a pretty signifficant injury to the foot, even if it is "precautionary". Taylor publicly says it was from prior to the game. Now, if he's hurt going into the game and the coaches know it, and his #1 skill-running-is self-neutralized, why is he in the game? Or why didnt we lean on our stable of backs a bit more? Or, put in Tommy Armstrong and start getting him rolling? Or Ron Kellog to handle Beck's Watson attack? But I'm not the coach, so I dont really know. I dont see these guys in practice everyday.

Next point. Coaches didnt know about Taylor's foot (but Beck's playcalling suggests they did) which leads me to ask one gigantic question. What the hell is going on under the north stadium?

Lastly, this was a full team loss. From Bo, all the way to the waterboys/girls. But at this point, my disappointment in the offense is so severe, and so incredible that I just dont know where to go from here. My faith in this staff and Bo has been severly hurt. I'm not totally on the "fire Bo" wagon, becuase I cant get myself to stress over something that will no way in hell happen for another 3 months regardless what happens, so I just sit back quietly and worry about what's next. I'll read and entertain the ideas of new coaches, which I used to just ignore and not even acknowledge.

Honestly, I truely believe we're gonna win our 9-10 games per current status quo. But I'm not gonna allow myself to be sucked back into the kool-aid party as I was last year after the 6 straight wins, or like I was this fall camp. I require obvious and consistent improvement and progress in all areas. I will not be paying attention to the scoreboard. It will be details within the game. And i also require a solid win against Northwestern and at worst, and competitive and competent showing at Ann Arbor (if it is a loss) for me to get back on the faith train. The scary part is, after watching games yesterday and last night, Purdue and Illinois are not the givens we once thought they were. it's gonna be an interesting next month and half.

• Fire 5

Bo doesn't have the stones to do it. He'll never create drama on the team. That's part of the issue.

The QB battle is as much as a battle as Bo makes it. If X really is playing better than Taylor in practice, do you really think practice is going to give X more reps than Taylor? Nope, because that will create a rift in the system. I can't count how many times Taylor has proven to be completely ineffective - see my numerous posts about us not winning anything of significance with Taylor at the helm - against better competition. His inability to throw the ball coupled with his inability to now run the ball, puts us in a pretty sh**ty situation. Love it or hate it, I'm not so sure Beck wouldn't have put in a new QB at this juncture as Beck thinks Taylor is limited in the plays he can run in comparison to other QBs on the roster.

When was the last time Taylor was a running threat? Don't give me the injury crap, that is very recent. I'll wait.

When was the last time we ran a screen? Any deep route combinations that take time to develop?

Have you ever trusted Taylor throwing into tight spaces? Have you ever trusted him to win a game with his arm for us, picking apart a defense with his throws?

When was the last time you watched Taylor in the pocket and knew he wasn't going to make some boneheaded throw and just loft it up there? For me, every time he goes back there it is a guessing game as to what he may do. Lose 10 yards trying to avoid a sack instead of throwing it away? Making an errant throw and getting intercepted? Fumbling?

The sad reality is this. Taylor is no longer a viable QB for Nebraska. The other team plays pattycake waiting for Taylor to throw. They hardly even try to pressure him and force him to throw, because they don't thiink he can beat them with his arm. How many coaches or players have we heard say this?

I have a lot more beef with our offense than defense right now, as our offense was supposed to be our crutch this season. They are proving to be worse than our defense, and that is pathetic.

I believe in Bo, with the caveat that something is done about Taylor. We are too limited with him.

I completely disagree, with all of your points and your foundation. If anyone really believes Armstrong/Stanton/Kellogg would lead us to more wins this year than Martinez, that person is out of their mind. Taylor is not perfect, but a person has to take all of his good attributes (which far outweigh his bad attributes) for granted to believe he's "ineffective." And Taylor had one of his worst games yesterday? Give me a break, he had three touchdowns with no interceptions. I know he was not doing well in the second half, but that has more to do with Beck's play-calling than Martinez.

I thought Martinez had one of his worst games as a Husker. I think someone else should have at the very least, a shot to make Martinez understand he has to perform each and every time out.

This game is on the coaches. Most of Taylor's rushing yards are off the read option and we've almost completely abandoned it this season. It's not surprising that our big play ability is gone also.

I think Kellogg should start and see where the game takes us. Not sure if Armstrong is ready yet or if we want him to be ready for this offensive style.

I agree. Of the two backups, RKIII would be my choice.

Sorry but it should be Armstrong. We are probably going to win no matter who plays QB next game. Kellogg won't be around next year so give Tommy the playing time.

• Fire 1

I think Kellogg should start and see where the game takes us. Not sure if Armstrong is ready yet or if we want him to be ready for this offensive style.

I agree. Of the two backups, RKIII would be my choice

Sorry but it should be Armstrong. We are probably going to win no matter who plays QB next game. Kellogg won't be around next year so give Tommy the playing time.

Doesn't matter. I don't think this staff has the ability to identify problems and then correct them.

My point is we're playing SDSU next week. I want to play into Taylor's mind more than anything and even though he didn't play a bad game yesterday, he needs to step it up to the next level. If he's hurt (whatever that may be) it gives him some time as well. But it also allows our future QB to get some reps. I've heard stories regarding Armstrongs leadership. Lets see it on the field. Can he take over a game? It's SDSU. I would like to try it.

Wow. Here I go. Rant time. And it's not gonna be what you would normally expect from me.

First off, I was furious from the opening kickoff of our playcalling. What Beck did yesterday from start to finish is just mind boggling (well, maybe not mind boggling, becuase this kind of ridiculousness has become way too common). Trying to use Taylor as a pass first qb and all. I just didnt understand. And then the type of passes. Short dink and dunk. I thought we were watchin 2004 all over again. The only time it appeared effective is when Kenny Bell took matters into his own hands and turned a negative 2 yard route into a 15 yard gain time and time again. When we stretched the field (td passes to Enunwa and Bell) it was clearly obvious that UCLA did not have the personell to deal with our deep receiving core. But yet we refused to stretch the field whatsoever beyond the 21-3 lead, with agitated me greatly. Where were all the wrinkles? Where was the "turnin Taylor loose" that we expected. I would like to ask Bo and Beck first hand "guys, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE HOLDING BACK FOR". This was the BIG game we were preppin for. Who give's a f#*k about Michigan and so on. Let's play for now. I really believe this is a mentality within the staff. And it hurts. I just wish for once, we could play for today and just do what we do. I watched other games yesterday and last night, and saw teams appear to just run what they run, and follow their identity, regardless of the competition.

Which brings me to my point on Taylor Martinez. He's been a great player for us. I believe at times he's beein shorthanded from lack of defense, to lack of Oline and so on. Yesterday he was extremely handicapped due to lack of savy of an Offensive coordinator. The playcalling did not whatsoever play to the strengths that we as fans have easily identified of this unit the first two games. It also turned Taylor into something he's not, but into something he's not even close to competent in doing. If we're gonna play offense as we did yesterday, Ron Kellogg is a better choice at qb. And I dont know if it's even close it's so obvious. He throws a better ball, and if you watch his play in the spring game, he is constantly looking around and progressing through choices. He just has a better mental grasp in a multiple choice route combination. No mention of Tommy Armstrong yet. That's coming in a bit.

Now the intriguing part in my eyes regarding Taylor Martinez. I really dont want to throw this kid under the bus. It's his senior season. He's put in obvious work and is a fantastic young man. But what I really noticed yesterday immediately, is he still cant handle the "moment" or the "spotlight". Over throwing his first few passes. He just appeared to be a little overwhelmed again by the pressure, the moment, and the weight of the game. Now, he did settle in much quicker than he used to, but over time, and especially when he was called on to make plays, he just couldnt get it done.

Now it takes a turn. He shows up at the post-game press conference with a boot on his foot. Now, I'm no doctor, but I've sprained and twisted ankley. I've broken toes and so on. And I'm assuming that the use of a boot means a pretty signifficant injury to the foot, even if it is "precautionary". Taylor publicly says it was from prior to the game. Now, if he's hurt going into the game and the coaches know it, and his #1 skill-running-is self-neutralized, why is he in the game? Or why didnt we lean on our stable of backs a bit more? Or, put in Tommy Armstrong and start getting him rolling? Or Ron Kellog to handle Beck's Watson attack? But I'm not the coach, so I dont really know. I dont see these guys in practice everyday.

Next point. Coaches didnt know about Taylor's foot (but Beck's playcalling suggests they did) which leads me to ask one gigantic question. What the hell is going on under the north stadium?

Lastly, this was a full team loss. From Bo, all the way to the waterboys/girls. But at this point, my disappointment in the offense is so severe, and so incredible that I just dont know where to go from here. My faith in this staff and Bo has been severly hurt. I'm not totally on the "fire Bo" wagon, becuase I cant get myself to stress over something that will no way in hell happen for another 3 months regardless what happens, so I just sit back quietly and worry about what's next. I'll read and entertain the ideas of new coaches, which I used to just ignore and not even acknowledge.

Honestly, I truely believe we're gonna win our 9-10 games per current status quo. But I'm not gonna allow myself to be sucked back into the kool-aid party as I was last year after the 6 straight wins, or like I was this fall camp. I require obvious and consistent improvement and progress in all areas. I will not be paying attention to the scoreboard. It will be details within the game. And i also require a solid win against Northwestern and at worst, and competitive and competent showing at Ann Arbor (if it is a loss) for me to get back on the faith train. The scary part is, after watching games yesterday and last night, Purdue and Illinois are not the givens we once thought they were. it's gonna be an interesting next month and half.

Great stuff. Agree across the board. It was like our first game in 2011 against Wisky. Beck goes all crazy and makes Martinez sock back in the pocket time and time again to throw like 3 picks in a row. If he is hurt, sit him.

Beck completely blew it. Even said he went ot conservative late in the 2nd. Duh YA THINK. Martinez is not and will never be a passing threat. his threat, is the ability to hit a crease and be gone. He has looked slow all season. He played yesterday tentative and "scared". Beck has no idea what system we have or he wants. It is a mixed bag of sh!t with no part that we excel at. The lack of Cross was baffling.

Even if Bo wanted to sit the D down and switch on the fly, the crappy play calling and inability to sustain a drive loner than 10 yrds the entire 2nd half afforded him no time and the D couldn't catch their breath.

It is like the O goes in with a plan and the D be damned and same with the D. Neither complements the other. 1st half we grind out a 17 play drive and then can not produce zip the 2nd. Give the keys to Brown until the end of the season. Hell promote Ganz, he can't be any worse than the excuse filled, crappy OC we have.

I thought Martinez had one of his worst games as a Husker. I think someone else should have at the very least, a shot to make Martinez understand he has to perform each and every time out.

20/34 with 3td's no picks= worst outing ever? The offense as a whole was anemic yesterday, not just him. I know for a fact Beck is trying to make him a pure pocket qb and limiting runs and scrambles. The zone read is gone when it has been one of our most effective plays, and that's on Beck. We did nothing but bubble screens and streaks in the second half so that's playcalling again not Taylor. And when Beck won't TRY out Cross to break the hold the D had on Abdullah? It all starts at the top... Yeah Taylor could have went hogwild running but if that's not what you're told to do, what do you do?

My point is we're playing SDSU next week. I want to play into Taylor's mind more than anything and even though he didn't play a bad game yesterday, he needs to step it up to the next level. If he's hurt (whatever that may be) it gives him some time as well. But it also allows our future QB to get some reps. I've heard stories regarding Armstrongs leadership. Lets see it on the field. Can he take over a game? It's SDSU. I would like to try it.

I completely disagree with toying with Taylor. He's a good man and he did the best he could , but you saw the same games I did. I'd let the next guys in the position have a shot. Of course I expect Bo to go down with the ship like we're the enemy and making a coaching decision to play a different guy is some kind of mutiny. Whatever...I'm serious, not trying to mess with a player's head.