OK sure, I'll be the first....

NUpolo8

The TM supporters here mention the word "hate" far more than any TM doubter I've ever seen.

Me, I want the guy that gives this HUSKER TEAM the best chance to win. It's not about one person, good or bad. The offense sure looked fun to watch Saturday. Not sure what to make of it yet. Hoping to get more evidence on who the best man for the job is. One thing is for sure. That man doesn't necessarily have to be the incumbent four year starting senior.

When you dislike some of someones actions- but say very nice things about them as a person- you still get labeled a "hater". pure sillyness

Its very common these days and comes from the political left, when they have no ammo and want to put someone on their heels instead of debating facts

And many that make comparisons to players in previous eras- NEVER saw those players play, maybe a few highlights, maybe even a single taped game or 2, but never every snap of every season etc Stats dont tell it all you have to have been there in real life to really compare them fairly. .

tumblr_lhv6rwj5Ol1qay81po1_500.gif

The TM supporters here mention the word "hate" far more than any TM doubter I've ever seen.

Me, I want the guy that gives this HUSKER TEAM the best chance to win. It's not about one person, good or bad. The offense sure looked fun to watch Saturday. Not sure what to make of it yet. Hoping to get more evidence on who the best man for the job is. One thing is for sure. That man doesn't necessarily have to be the incumbent four year starting senior.

That's what everybody wants, TTTRA.

I could care less who our starting quarterback as long as he's the person that gives us the best chance to win on Saturdays. If that's TM, TA or RKIII, then I'm all for it. I, like every single other person on this board, just want to see the Huskers win. My opining for TM start comes purely from a place of logic (though... admittedly... my logic may be different from many others). I view TM as a guy who has made great plays for us, while truthfully making many mistakes, but also having great playmaking abilities. But, he's got four years starting experience (significantly more than any other QB on our roster), and with that knowledge comes an asset that RKIII and TA simply don't possess. TA is the shiny new toy and as well as RKIII played, I think many are patting him on the back while still staring at TA. Count myself in that group.

Point is - there's a lot of upside to Martinez in my opinion, even if there is some downside, and the only thing that's questionable in my mind right now is that injury. If TM were 100% this wouldn't even be a debate, but then again, we wouldn't have seen TA and RKIII to that level.

I think it's important everybody keep things in perspective. If TM is close to being 100%, he is the most logical choice to lead Nebraska to victory. TA is largely an unknown right now despite a lot of potential. You risk a lot taking him over TM, if TM is near healthy. I don't know if that's a risk worth taking unless injury necessitates it.

Reasonable

The net is with TURF TOE, you never get 100% healthy. Most of the guys here never played, never had the injury and dont understand how it affects the player. Ive had the injury. While it sounds minor it is not. Even when you get to the point where you can bear the pain, you are always "stubbing" your toe on the grass. Field turf makes it worse since field turf kind of grabs your feet. ":Stubbing" your toe just sets you back and is extremely painful. Unless youve actually had it and done just that, you dont have a clue about the injury. So what happens is it affects how you run. You try not to stub your toe, so you limit your running and change how you run. While many will think, hey it's just a big toe, well theyve never had the injury. This isnt something you just say buck up and play through it. LISTEN to guys like Damon Benning talk about the injury, he was out with it for awhile as well.

Weve seen what Martinez can do when he isnt much of a run threat, not very effective as a pocket passer. He ISNT a playmaker when he has turf toe or even the "lingering" effects of it. That takes away the biggest asset he has, his legs, the big plays everyone loves him for. With him only being able to consistently hit short passes, fumbilitis, poor pocket presence, lack of lateral movement, cant run speed option, meltdowns in big games, poor decision making etc, combined with the turf toe injury lead me to believe at THIS juncture there is enough there to give another player a chance. It doesnt mean I hate Taylor, hes a great kid with great heart, it just means at this juncture how he plays and the injury leads me to beleive there is another player who makes the offense more complete, helps the team score more points and helps the team win more games. Are there other problems with this team, goodness yes. But we all know this offense with all it's weapons and potential is not playing anywhere close to consistent and optimal. With the defense we have, we need consistency, not turnovers, short fields for the defense and 3 and outs.

Bo is loyal to a fault. See how he handled "firing" Watson and Gilmore, see him keeping the scholarship commitment to a player who probably will never play again. We love that about Bo, he has the back of his friends, has the back of those who have had his back. Hopefully this fierce loyalty and stubbornness doesnt cloud his decision making on this one.

As to risk- we are in the least demanding portion of a very weak schedule. The timing couldnt be better for putting in a player who excelled at the highest level of HS competition and who those in the know say has the "it" factor. AND in limited play whether it's against a 1AA team or even air, had the looks of a true QB.

Edited by zoogies
quote trimmed.