What Bo said to John Papuchis

Redux

Idk, looked to me like he was pretty dissaointed by what Bo said. If it were me, Id rather have Bo yell at me than say something calmly and cold blooded.

Worst feeling I ever got was when my Dad just calmly said he was disappointed with something I did.

Please explain to me how Papuchis's look on his face comes off as "so dissappointing" or whatever words are being thrown around.

Someone make a .gif of this please? My goodness, talk about trying make something out of nothing.

Geez it was just a casual observation. Never said Bo tried railing Paps wife while making him watch.

I'm sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way with my comments on your comment.

Did anybody else notice or wonder what Pelini was saying to Papuchis as the game was ending. Bo was walking towards midfield with John next to him. A look of disgust by Bo and a few words, John stopped and looked deflated and upset and Bo just kept walking.

This was your original post. Bo didnt appear to me to have a look of disgust , and John did not stop and, at least to me, did not look deflated and upset. Just appeared to me as two guys who shared a few words and know there's still a lot of work to do.

I'm sorry again. I just dont see the significance in it and pointed out as such.

What needs to happen is just to have Pap step down as DC and have him in charge of a defensive group again. Then either promote Kaz to DC, or really the best option is to bring in some new blood with some new ideas that is a highly regarded DC at another school.

If promoting from within is the best option, I'm all for it, but I would hope serious consideration and evaluation went into someone from outside the program. Loyalty and trust in your staff is important but not at the expense of game day performance.

Agree, that's why I really think bringing in new blood that is proven is the best option. Oh and in my biggest dreams, Narduzzi!!!!

Agree, that's why I really think bringing in new blood that is proven is the best option. Oh and in my biggest dreams, Narduzzi!!!!

Narduzzi is a great coach, I'll give you that and I wouldn't complain for a second if we could snag him from MSU...but w/ him we'd be going head-head with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and those other schools that pick the Ohio/Michigan recruiting grounds apart. That's where all of Narduzzi's connections are, and we're already covered there fairly well already. I'd leaning towards someone with a strong footprint in Florida, TX, or Cali.

Narduzzi is a great coach, I'll give you that and I wouldn't complain for a second if we could snag him from MSU...but w/ him we'd be going head-head with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and those other schools that pick the Ohio/Michigan recruiting grounds apart. That's where all of Narduzzi's connections are, and we're already covered there fairly well already. I'd leaning towards someone with a strong footprint in Florida, TX, or Cali.

Understand that, but I would MUCH rather have a great coach over a recruiter with better ties in FL, TX, and Cali. I actually think we have good connections in TX but just completely under recruit it paying too much attention to the entire U.S. Also, having great connections in Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania areas is always good as we will always have a better chance to get these kids to come to Nebraska being we are in B1G and kids parents will be able to see them play easily and the kids understand the culture of the North and weather.

• Fire 1

No offense taken. I dont know, it just looked like a moment that would normally be off camera. Papuchis just appeared to me to have taken something Bo said to heart. Like he was just given bad news. If the above posts are factual and Bo really did say that to him after the 1st quarter, this may have been Bo giving him the "axe" if you will, as far as play calling goes.

Or it was just a moment caught on tape with no significance, but after that meltdown at the beggining you have to wonder.

FYI I received a text from someone who is affiliated with the program that said, after the first quarter Bo had some interesting words for Pap. Saying "I can't believe I've been letting you call the plays for a ******* year". Then proceeded to grab his play sheet and called the plays the rest of the game while Papuchis just stood there for the rest of the game . I don't know if this is going to have any effect on our defense production, but I thought this was interesting to say the least.

He must have did it for UCLA, too.

skDLzpY.jpg

Pap signaling the plays Bo calls is a huge myth IMO. Paps doesn't have the title defensive coordinator to just signal plays.

Not a myth, at all.

From Sam McKewon at the beginning of this month ..

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130906/HUSKERS/130909016

NU spent much of Saturday night breaking in new communicators like David Santos, Josh Banderas and Corey Cooper. The relay of information from Pelini (who makes the call) to Papuchis (who signals it in) to the middle linebacker, to the safeties, and finally to the rest of the defense was a process that had to play itself out in front of a loud home crowd, which makes it harder to talk against a no-huddle offense.
  • Fire 1

Probably Pap does have more responsibility Sun-Fri, but his title of "defensive coordinator" is a bit generous. He didn't design the scheme. He doesn't call the plays. On gameday he's just another assistant. On offense you can usually see three guys signaling in plays.

When people blame Pap for things it has less to do with him in particular and more to do with the idea that when he was hired we could have opened the checkbook and gotten someone to counterbalance Bo's absolute control of the defense, which is currently at Cosgrovian levels.

Since the playsheet hangs from Pap's belt on a wire...was Pap forced to follow Bo around all game?

Pap signaling the plays Bo calls is a huge myth IMO. Paps doesn't have the title defensive coordinator to just signal plays.

Pelini had a call sheet from the first play of the game against SDSU. Paps had a sheet hung around his waist but he wasn't looking at it while the defense was out on the field as far as you can tell when the're on camera. Both sheets were still in their respective possessions at several different points that I spot-checked throughout the game.

Hmmm....when was the last time an FCS school was picked to beat bama....yes we've fallen a lot...I highly doubt someone just threw that pick out there thinking there was no chance...

When was the last time a FCS school hosted ESPN College Gameday and their biggest rival was playing Alabama? Probably the same answer to your question.

I still don't buy that they picked SDSU to beat Nebraska just to hype another FCS school. The turmoil we went through this last week and the way our defense has been getting shredded made this pick a possibility.

I'm not taking a side in the discussion but can provide some information (which can be manipulated as you please!): The guy you're talking about is Phil Hansen, the NDSU radio color-commentary guy. Hansen was an outstanding player for NDSU and then for the Buffalo Bills. Here's the intro paragraph on Hansen's page on Wikipedia:

Phillip Allen Hansen (born May 20, 1968) is a former American football defensive end in the National Football League for the Buffalo Bills, drafted in the second round, making the 1991 all-rookie team, and playing on three Super Bowl teams. He played college football at North Dakota State University, setting records with 41 regular-season sacks and 32 pass breakups, and started on Division II national championship teams in 1988 and 1990. He accumulated 61.5 sacks for the Bills and was inducted onto the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame on September 18, 2011.

Saturday morning, Hansen was asked for his upset pick and he picked the Jackrabbits over Nebraska. When Hansen played for the Bison, he was a dominating player on a dominating team. NDSU took SDSU apart during each of the four years Hansen played.

On the subject of Saturday's game...I just watched the first quarter again. Damn. Neither team played much defense. SDSU's defense, pre-season, was being talked about but our defensive coordinator left the program and the new guy (a former Nebraska player) is putting in some new stuff. So far, well, you saw what happened. We hope those guys get it together and play like they are capable of playing and if they do, by the end of the season there may have earned more respect in Lincoln.

Our big game is Saturday. NDSU comes to Brookings. NDSU's team hasn't been challenged yet this year and we'll see if the Jackrabbits show up to challenge them Saturday. NDSU is capable of playing textbook, mistake-free football.

• Fire 3