Listen to this....

True2tRA

Listen to the open field tackling podcast. WTF is going on here? This whole segment is confusing and troubling. Papuchis is hard to listen to, and he even sounds confused describing his own system. Bo and Compton describe the defense in completely different ways. This whole thing is twenty minutes long at most, but it makes me question almost everything. For f#*k's sake what are we doing here?

http://theticketfm.com/index.php/podcasts/drop-the-mike?layout=feed&feedname=8&limit=0&filter_order=a.publish_up&filter_order_Dir=desc&format=html

Here's a short transcript of the conversation followed by quotes and thoughtful analysis of the defense by the radio guys.

Blah Blah Blah...... Blah Blah Blah, said Bo Pelini. Blah Blah Blah, said JP. See, the Blah, Blah, plus the Blah Blah doesn't make sense.

Bottom line, the defense isn't going well, so none of what the coaches say right now is going to make them look smart. It could make them look defensive. It could make them look as though they are in denial. It could make them look inept. Maybe it will make them appear to be a combination of those things.

I get it. People are frustrated and want to figure out what's going wrong. Maybe some of what is said in the Husker fan sound box has merit, but it's all B.S. in the end.

If the coaches figure it out and get this turned around, we will all forget about this episode. If they don't, probably new coaches are going to be walking through the door sometime in late December or early January.

• Fire 1

I find it interesting that Eric Crouch said he was coached not to go out of bounds and to take a hit in order to gain a few extra yards.

When I look at 2013 Nebraska, I'm reminded of just how much is missing from this team even in comparison to the early 2000 teams. We always did things differently here - different offense, different culture and a different way of looking at the game of football. It was always blue collar. Now, you could slap different jerseys on these guys and I wouldn't be able to pick them out as Huskers.

Times changed, football changed. But, I always hoped Nebraska would hang onto a sliver of what made them unique and special, and that feeling is just gone.

• Fire 4

I find it interesting that Eric Crouch said he was coached not to go out of bounds and to take a hit in order to gain a few extra yards.

When I look at 2013 Nebraska, I'm reminded of just how much is missing from this team even in comparison to the early 2000 teams. We always did things differently here - different offense, different culture and a different way of looking at the game of football. It was always blue collar. Now, you could slap different jerseys on these guys and I wouldn't be able to pick them out as Huskers.

Times changed, football changed. But, I always hoped Nebraska would hang onto a sliver of what made them unique and special, and that feeling is just gone.

Spot on in my opinion...J. Peter always brings up the " back in the day " arguement and I think he is correct on his assessments when it comes to how things are done in this day and age. Everything from the practices to the mentality of the players is just different then what they were in the 90's and early 2000's. Like you said, everything that made Nebraska a little different has seemed to disappear.

Honestly I think there are NCAA regulations regarding amount of live tackling can be done, and it is not a huge amount. They were talking about it on XM the other day. I did not catch all of it, but there are only so many minutes, not hours that they can have total contact. Could be wrong on the total amount of time, but it seemed unusually short.

Bottom line, the defense isn't going well, so none of what the coaches say right now is going to make them look smart. It could make them look defensive. It could make them look as though they are in denial. It could make them look inept. Maybe it will make them appear to be a combination of those things.

I get it. People are frustrated and want to figure out what's going wrong. Maybe some of what is said in the Husker fan sound box has merit, but it's all B.S. in the end.

Yeah! This.

I'd feel a lot more in agreement with this podcast if it wasn't evident that the guy who spliced these bits of audio together, Daily Show-style, knows nothing about football. Which is true of most of us, but this guy doesn't realize it.

So coaches are trying to explain some things, he doesn't really get it, and starts picking apart soundbites. He does make a lot of fairly reasonable points, but I think the entire attempt to paint the scheme as hopelessly conflicted (as well as something that should be essentially explained in well under a minute) was a swing and a miss.

They do make the good point, if it's accurate, that most schools do either one or two days of live tackling per week (the NCAA limit being 2), and Nebraska does 0. Except on this occasion of the bye week. I guess it's fair to wonder, why?

The first part talking about not tackling live in practice is mind blowing. I thought that concern was over and done with when Pelini was hired. The second part where he is talking scheme is pretty poor journalism. It is such a stereotype that you would think that most "journalists" would not make that mistake, but talk about taking sound bites and manipulating them to make your argument. If you start with an agenda your answer in the end is likely going to support your agenda.