Illinois

I absolutely do not have the football knowledge that most of you have. I do not follow the team as closely as you do. Not as close to the information sources, so all I get is what you tell us.

Some on here felt very confident about this season going in. Felt we would win every game to this point and do it handily. For those, has the team performed as you expected. Does the progress fit into the mold you had thought or predicted? Do you truly see improvement, at the level you expected and are satisfied with? Or are you being a fan, seeing positives in everything, blinded to what might not be right.

I felt we would have defensive problems this year, due to the youth, coaching errors on redshirting and recruiting. I really did not expect the offensive shortage. Be it Taylor hurt or just bad game plans, it is not what I expected on that side. I am not counting the last game as a correction of the offense. Tommy and Ron played a great game, but really how good of defense did they compete against.

Do you truly feel it is a wait and see, develop the youth and we will be okay, or do you see shortfalls in what we put on the field, in motivation, aggressiveness and the will to win. Is/was there a reason that some were not rated/ranked higher due to effort and team work. Do any of them have a history of this mentality, or is it the normal feeling for today's player. If it is, how do coaches at Bama, LSU, Stanford, Georgia and LSU change that mentality, or is it just a totally different talent level. Stanford is the on that really amazes me. They play old Nebraska football, and have much higher academic standards than most of the country, yet they find them. Mean/nasty type DL and OL. Why can't we find them or develop them?

So Texas St beats WYO, so we must suck worse than we think? Do you not account for the other games that WYO won? They had a flat game, for once in 5 games. People read into things way too much.

I personally think we are much better than we are, just need to fix the common problems with this defense. I won't hold my breathe on it happening, but we aren't far from a "decent" defense. Fix tackling issues, we fix our biggest problem. Fix our Safety issue, we fix the 2nd weakest part, IMO, that is fixed by starting C Jax.

All but 1 game has been flat or worse than flat. Bo has been explaining what needs to be fixed for two years, and things continue on a downward trend. This defense is an embarrassment. NU's D is ranked 106th while playing the 98th ranked schedule in the nation.

Washington is looking to be the real deal. Illinois played them well. If that doesn't lend you some concern you haven't been paying attention to the last few years. The Bo-bots that use the excuses "Well, if we take out those three bad quarters, the 600 yards of offense against us and the fumbles in the red zone, we've played solid ball" are mind-less fools. We need to follow USC's lead and lock the guy out of his office if he doesn't turn things around fast.

• Fire 3

We will have a brand new gameplan for Illinois. Papuchis is going to have no influence the rest of the season. I think we'll easily win the next 3 games, but not sure what will happen after that.

The thing that fears me most is that we start martinez saturday without him being 100%. He is useless at 75%.

Paps was just a figurehead anyways probably won't be much change.

We will have a brand new gameplan for Illinois. Papuchis is going to have no influence the rest of the season. I think we'll easily win the next 3 games, but not sure what will happen after that.

The thing that fears me most is that we start martinez saturday without him being 100%. He is useless at 75%.

Well, we started him at 40% against UCLA, or so they say..........

Looked pretty useless to me either way.

This concerns me as much as the defense. For TM to be effective he needs to be explosive.