Illinois

I personally think it's the safeties our staff doesn't trust in space.

I would agree. Hopefully CJax can respond well next to Coop.

I really think our safties are - overall - our weak spot. I think that was probably even our weak spot last year, which is saying a lot. Yes, we were fairly bad on the line - especially after Stein got hurt - and our LBs were spotty at best. But I think average safety play would have cut the number of big plays in half over the last year-plus.

Also, I'm really not sold on Cooper, either. Yeah, he at least makes some plays - which HJax really hasn't so far - but he's looked like the second coming of Damian Stafford so far: for every one good play there are two or three where he takes a terrible angle and doesn't even touch the ball carrier.

With Cooper I can't tell if he's trying to do everybody else's job while trying to do his too or he's just not making the right reads in run support.

With Cooper I can't tell if he's trying to do everybody else's job while trying to do his too or he's just not making the right reads in run support.

This could also be true but I'm talking about times where he comes up in run support and doesn't even lay a finger on the ball carrier, as has happened several times already this year. The runner gives a little hesitation move and then cuts hard and Cooper doesn't even get close.

This could also be true but I'm talking about times where he comes up in run support and doesn't even lay a finger on the ball carrier, as has happened several times already this year. The runner gives a little hesitation move and then cuts hard and Cooper doesn't even get close.

I think some of theses "whiff" tackles also go back to how much space we are giving opponents. Again, putting guys on islands. These safeties and DB end up in a lot of one on one scenarios and lets face it, one on one vs. anyone is never good. They have the advantage of knowing what their next move is. You don't. Bring these safeties up close. Give them a chance to take an aggressive pursuit angle down the line of scrimmage, or blow through gaps with your DL and LB right there to help you out. Seems better than flying in from thirty yards off the ball straight north and south.

One other Pelini nugget from today:

Pelini was asked for his thoughts on two coaches — USC’s Lane Kiffin and UConn’s Paul Pasqualoni — being fired over the weekend after just a handful of games.

“I’m glad there weren’t three,” he joked. “I’m glad I wasn’t one of them.”

OWH Article

the smoke monster from Lost is coming to get Bo...

freaking-out-baby.gif

I think some of theses "whiff" tackles also go back to how much space we are giving opponents. Again, putting guys on islands. These safeties and DB end up in a lot of one on one scenarios and lets face it, one on one vs. anyone is never good. They have the advantage of knowing what their next move is. You don't. Bring these safeties up close. Give them a chance to take an aggressive pursuit angle down the line of scrimmage, or blow through gaps with your DL and LB right there to help you out. Seems better than flying in from thirty yards off the ball straight north and south.

While I do agree with what you said in regards to space, I think a lot of it comes down to aggressive decision making by the safeties. IIRC O'Hanlon(as a Sr.) and Asante were very aggressive in run support. They read run and would bolt up from their safety position and meet the ball carrier no more than a few yards from the los(if not at it). They made the first move instead of getting flat footed and waiting for the offensive player to make a move. They were also good at tackling head up. I do realize they got beat in coverage a lot, but as far as the run goes they were the best safeties Pelini has had.

One other Pelini nugget from today:

Pelini was asked for his thoughts on two coaches — USC’s Lane Kiffin and UConn’s Paul Pasqualoni — being fired over the weekend after just a handful of games.

“I’m glad there weren’t three,” he joked. “I’m glad I wasn’t one of them.”

OWH Article

What a dumb question to ask. But I do like the sense of humor in his response.

• Fire 1

Martinez basically hasn't practiced since UCLA. If he doesn't practice tomorrow, I would think his chances for Saturday would be slim. Martinez should talk to the media tomorrow so maybe we'll find out a little more.

Heard a little bit of Pelini's press conference today and he said TM is close to being 100%, but he's not quite there yet. Given my knowledge of turf toe and how people who've had it talk about it, I'd be surprised if TM overcomes it without sitting out for several weeks. If there's any possibility that TM could truthfully be 100% by sitting out the next couple of weeks, I'd sit him, but it's up to the coaches to decide whether a close-to-being healthy Martinez is better than TA/RKIII.

I think this kid is such a warrior he will be on the field. I do not think the staff takes into consideration the severity of the injury and have proven that for four years with Taylor. But that again is the kid, as he never quits, no matter how bad he is hurting.

In our offense it is imperative when the receivers are covered that the Qb can tuck the ball and get positive yardage so as not to put us in 3rd and long. We have made a few 3rd and longs this year but I hate seeing us have to punt and put our tired D back on the field. If TM isn't able to run effectively this offense is handicapped from the start.