Do we still like the Big 10?

I hate the Big 10. Sorry, but a lot of it is really lame.

Start with the idea that the Big 12 hated Nebraska or that Texas and Oklahoma got all the pub and the glory. I just don't see that argument at all. I was quite happy as a Husker fan. And I didn't see anything happening to Nebraska that the Huskers weren't doing to themselves. Nebraska was seen as one of th etop three in the league based on its historic significance to the league alongside Oklahoma and Texas. We were thought of as being the only team of significance in the North Division. The other North teams had their moments, but it we were always seen as the top team, even if we seemed to be "hibernating" at different points.

Nebraska is not seen as one of the Big 3 in the Big 10. We are fourth and with current results, dropping FAST. Ohio State is the King. Michigan is second. Penn State is seen by many as "hibernating" and Wisky is trying to take our position as the fourth best, along with Northwestern, which will definately be the favorite to beat Nebraska in Lincoln this year. Think about that for a while. Nebraska's tradition and historic significance can't be honored in this new league and even when they try to honor Nebraska in those ways, it comes off weird. Tom Osborne is not an iconic Big 10 coach. I am wondering how many Penn State and Michigan fans flip off their TV sets when TO appears on the talk box. Plenty is my guess. After all, Michigan fans believe they would have beat Frost and Penn State fans are under the dilusion that they could have beaten Tommy and Brook.

We have non-drivable games filling up the slate. That sucks too.

Maybe this all comes down to the fact that my team isn't winning right now. And I am sure that sentence will be bolded in someone's response post. But overall, I have no connection or care for the Big 10. I want the Huskers to win, but I don't feel like Illinois this week is all that exciting. And I can't say that I am looking forward to Nebraska going to Michigan's place more than I would have been if we were headed down to Norman to face the Sooners.

Agree, tOSU is really the only one in this conference that will sniff the top 5 or National Championship in the foreseeable future and because they play in a weak conference the chances they will get decimated in a BCS National Championship Game is pretty good. This has been the case for a long while except for Tressels tOSU over a decade ago now. Even Carrs 97 Championship had an * and we all know what that outcome would have been had #1 and #2 met. Add in PSUs * in 1994 and basically you have one team in decades that can clearly state they were in the national elite, 2002 tOSU. The Big 10 has always been looked at as bowl time losers. Being a 50 year Husker fan I can relate to being exposed come bowl time except instead of a single team, the B1G is an entire conference of not being able to hang with the "Big Boys" of College Football. We are now in the middle of this and puts an exclamation point on just how far we have fallen and how irrelevant we now are. Last years CCG was pretty much proof of just how far we are from the National Powerhouses and the recruits / coaching that come with that territory. Urban can give some legitimacy to the conference but other than that......weak sauce

• Fire 2

Jeebus. Lose one game. One frickin game and a couple defensive sh**ty performances and we start questioning literally EVERYTHING. Holy cow, let me guess. Next we're gonna question the reality of Chimney Rock and sweet corn.

Hilarious, where have you been the last decade, I've seen dozens of crapfest losses as well as dozens of beyond sh**ty defensive/offensive performances and now we are in a conference thats always exposed come bowl time. Life is good! Everybody cheer up!

Wisky is trying to take our position as the fourth best.

Since when is NU fourth in the B1G pecking order and UW on the outside? History doesn't mean a dang thing in this conference as Illinois and Minnesota prove. Recently it's been OSU and UW at the top. Need I bring up who won the conference last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that? Wisconsin did.

The average recruit is what? 16/17 years old? He doesn't remember NU being a power and he'll see plenty of schools with dusty trophies in the case.

If anything NU is trying to take UW's position.

Since when is NU fourth in the B1G pecking order and UW on the outside? History doesn't mean a dang thing in this conference as Illinois and Minnesota prove. Recently it's been OSU and UW at the top. Need I bring up who won the conference last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that? Wisconsin did.

The average recruit is what? 16/17 years old? He doesn't remember NU being a power and he'll see plenty of schools with dusty trophies in the case.

Agree and throw Whisky in the SEC and let them fight amongst the bottom dwellers there or maybe the PAC 12 and let them scurry around with the Beavers & Cougars for lower mid level of conference and they put a whooping on us in the CCG at barely .500

Love the B1G whoopee!

Agree and throw Whisky in the SEC and let them fight amongst the bottom dwellers there or maybe the PAC 12 and let them scurry around with the Beavers & Cougars for lower mid level of conference and they put a whooping on us in the CCG at barely .500

Love the B1G whoopee!

Well, in defense of the Big Ten its looking much better than the Big 12 at the moment.

yeah,

Wisconsin can't compete with the top of the Pac-12. They got smoked against Oregon and Stanford. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this irritates me...either I can't read your sarcasm or I'm just really frustrated at losing four close games to Pac-12 opponents the last two years.

yeah,

Wisconsin can't compete with the top of the Pac-12. They got smoked against Oregon and Stanford. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this irritates me...either I can't read your sarcasm or I'm just really frustrated at losing four close games to Pac-12 opponents the last two years.

Based off the emoticon and the fact Wisconsin kept it within a one possession game with two teams that were heavily favored I'd say he was being sarcastic

Agree, tOSU is really the only one in this conference that will sniff the top 5 or National Championship in the foreseeable future and because they play in a weak conference the chances they will get decimated in a BCS National Championship Game is pretty good. This has been the case for a long while except for Tressels tOSU over a decade ago now. Even Carrs 97 Championship had an * and we all know what that outcome would have been had #1 and #2 met. Add in PSUs * in 1994 and basically you have one team in decades that can clearly state they were in the national elite, 2002 tOSU. The Big 10 has always been looked at as bowl time losers. Being a 50 year Husker fan I can relate to being exposed come bowl time except instead of a single team, the B1G is an entire conference of not being able to hang with the "Big Boys" of College Football. We are now in the middle of this and puts an exclamation point on just how far we have fallen and how irrelevant we now are. Last years CCG was pretty much proof of just how far we are from the National Powerhouses and the recruits / coaching that come with that territory. Urban can give some legitimacy to the conference but other than that......weak sauce

Hilarious, where have you been the last decade, I've seen dozens of crapfest losses as well as dozens of beyond sh**ty defensive/offensive performances and now we are in a conference thats always exposed come bowl time. Life is good! Everybody cheer up!

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Exactly! Thats exactly how I feel every time I watch a Pelini coached product and then watch Texas A&M and Missou sitting down in a real conference while we're stuck in the lowly B1G

The move to the B1G was definitely best for the program. I truly believe that the difference in physicality between the Big XII and B1G is a big thing that set our defense back more than some people are willing to acknowledge. With that said, the defense should never look as poor as it has the last couple seasons.

The B1G is just such a great fit culturally for Nebraska, and you're kidding yourself if you think that the Big XII is a better football (or any athletics) conference than the B1G. The only sport that I can think of that is higher quality in the Big XII is baseball... And maybe women's basketball. Other than that, the B1G is superior in every way. Not to mention, the extra money that we get from the conference is a huge plus that opens lots of doors for the University.

All the KC area fans that don't like the move? Tough crap! You can get to Lincoln at a much cheaper cost than me. Lincoln, NE has not moved with the conference change. I love the move.

Some of us follow/talk football on more than just Saturday mornings. It has nothing to do w/ where Lincoln is, and everything to do with the local fans - they're B12. No one gives 2 sh!ts about the B1G south of NE. When was the last time you saw a Minnesota fan in OK? I saw my first one this weekend in KC at the bar...he was there for an alumni gathering to watching the game. The alumni gathering produced....1 person. That's pretty representative of the B1G south of NE/IA.

Ok say Nebraska declined the Big Ten. Colorado was already gone at this point. Notre Dame already declined which is why we got the nod, next on the list. Mizzou had practically thrown themselves at the league so they likely wouldbe been invited and joined. Now were still in a 10 team little 12. Benefit? OU every year. Disadvantage? Expansion would have been immediate. TCU gets the invite and were back at 11. A&M sees the dominoes and still fullfills its SEC dream. Back to 10. Now what? Would Nebraska have OKd the WVU addition? I dont think WVU even gets discussed in this scenario. I think at this point the raiding of the ACC would begin. FSU, miami, Clemson and G tech maybe. Thoughts?