Do we still like the Big 10?

Whatever. All im saying is the whole slow crap with strength doesnt work anymore. We need speed. Just a little tipsy dont get all worked up. The point is if ur going to beef up players and lose the speed, the football team isnt going to go far. The Big Ten as a whole does not have the speed to compete with other conferences.

None of this is a problem for Nebraska. There's plenty of speed and strength on this team. You need to concentrate on the real issue w/ Nebraska - and that's "effort". For whatever reason it is lacking. It wasn't lacking on the Wyoming team we played, it wasn't lacking w/ UCLA or SDState. We look slow because we show no effort. We look weak because we show no effort. There's are brief bursts of effort where you see they possess the tools needed to play with anyone, then there are long lulls where it's hard to distinguish the team from a mid-major. And it's not an opinion, it's backed up by the scoreboard time after time.

Honestly, I think it might be conditioning that's the real issue. Our guys had no issues in the first half of UCLA...awesome intensity, great effort. Playing the best football we've seen this year. Then suddenly, they get pushed around the entire second half. It wasn't because they suddenly lost speed or strength...it might be because they lack conditioning and were just gassed.

In my opinion, it's not being a well conditioned team that is causing issues late in our games...and this is why we can't put the game away in the second half.

Sorry davnet I remember when we owned the 4th Qtr. Just watch Ozzie's first NC. The Huskers wore out Miami on both sides of the ball.

Its a shame most people watching the game, dont know enough about it to know they are getting poor information.

Lots of the play by play guys and announcers have never played or coached a game in their lives.

To say something that is patently 100% wrong like "THE SEC is known for speed not physicallity" is silly- I guess if the people you are asking are 25 year old girl flag football players and 12 year old boys, not people that actually watch real games and have a minimal understanding of the game.

I can see why Bo gets frustrated with all the advice he gets from the uninformed fans or why Bill Callahan would say something in an interview like 'Thats too technical for you" LOL

Totally agree. Guys like these, below, who never played a down in the NFL, don't know much about the game.

John Madden

Joe Gibbs

Howard Cosell

Al Michaels

Paul Brown

Bill Belincek

Vince Lombardi

Bill Walsh

I was watching everyones favorite network ESPN the other night. They brought up the question about whether college athletes should be paid. Then they showed a quote from the B1G commissioner coming out heavily against it. He said those who want to be paid should be allowed to just go from high school to the pros.

If this situation came to pass, I think we would see a lot of dead/maimed rookies.

I will start by saying that I have been a longhorns fan my entire life. That said, I will say that I very much miss you guys being in the conference. It is sad to see the conference degraded to what it currently is because of the actions of a bunch of old administrators who choose to bicker with each other about money. I used to get up on Saturdays to watch Nebraska play Kansas State and the like because it was exciting and familiar. However, the B1G might as well be another country to me. It appears to me that Nebraska is a fringe University in the B1G footprint and the recruiting is suffering because of this. Likewise, Texas athletes probably do not relate to playing against teams in Indiana, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. Given that, the current state of the Big 12 has suffered because of the loss of universities such as yours. I thought the Big 12 was exciting because I considered the member universities as fellow plains-centric partners. I cannot say that I miss tamu that much, and I think TCU is a good fit being in the DFW metroplex. I had always hoped that Arkansas might be lured into the fold eventually. However, I cannot emphasize enough that there lacks a certain something with the losses of CU, NU, and Mizzou. I certainly miss hearing "There is no place like Nebraska" on the tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RudxjzBMwg

• Fire 1

Dude, very cool to hear a Texas fans ay they miss us. Because if I had my choice between playing OU and UT I would take the Horns. I teuly feel we missed ths boat on what couldve been a spdcial series had it been played yearly.

And yes my spelling sucked but blame my droid, Dos Equis and my lazi ess.

If Tatgate hurt tOSU you really think Urban Meyer would be there and miles ahead of every other B1G program, so they don't get to play in the title game a couple years but they haven't skipped a beat and will remain an annual top 5 team. I'm pretty sure tOSU fans/administration are licking their chops at where they stand in the future big picture

Ohio State definitely came out the least scathed of the three. But at the beginning of your first year in the B10, it wasn't clear who would be hired to replace interim coach Fickell. Before that, during the 2009 bowl season, the top 4 B10 teams won their bowl games and went 2-0 in season BCS games (Ohio State vs Oregon, Iowa vs Ga Tech, Penn State vs LSU, Wisconsin vs Miami) and then in 2010 the B10 went 1-1 in BCS games with Ohio State beating a sooper dominant SEC team in New Orleans and Wisconsin losing the Rose Bowl on a failed two-point conversion. Michigan did win the Sugar Bowl the next year (slipping past a frankly mediocre Va Tech team), but that team looked half as strong as many of Lloyd Carr's. The B10's other two elite programs, Ohio State and Penn State, were in turmoil.

In short, I think the unprecedented situation of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State being in various stages of disarray added to an already low perception of the B10 nationwide, which we're still recovering from (with the public, media, recruits, etc). Here's hoping Nebraska can help right that ship. :wasted

kchusker_chris knocking it out of the park in the last few minutes. Effort is the key, all the way.

Less-talented teams playing at 100% can compete with more-talented teams giving 80%. We keep proving that over and over.

But why? Excuses can be made for every other game this year except UCLA. They were a team we should have beat last year. They came into our house. We had our foot on their throat. I just can't fathom the reason anyone on the team giving anything less than 100%. However, they did. It's not just this year either. When Texas came into town a few years back, it was the exact same situation. You don't drop that many passes when giving 100%. Unfortunately, this isn't something new.

This is amusing...i will say that I do believe there is an agenda to prop up the SEC...been that way for years. I remember being plastered by all the "best conference in football" talk back in 2000 when Big12 teams were playing for NTs and bama was a joke. I take everything the announcers and analysts say with a grain of salt. Especially those employed by the networks that make a profit from their prime time SEC games.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, tOSU is really the only one in this conference that will sniff the top 5 or National Championship in the foreseeable future and because they play in a weak conference the chances they will get decimated in a BCS National Championship Game is pretty good. This has been the case for a long while except for Tressels tOSU over a decade ago now. Even Carrs 97 Championship had an * and we all know what that outcome would have been had #1 and #2 met. Add in PSUs * in 1994 and basically you have one team in decades that can clearly state they were in the national elite, 2002 tOSU. The Big 10 has always been looked at as bowl time losers. Being a 50 year Husker fan I can relate to being exposed come bowl time except instead of a single team, the B1G is an entire conference of not being able to hang with the "Big Boys" of College Football. We are now in the middle of this and puts an exclamation point on just how far we have fallen and how irrelevant we now are. Last years CCG was pretty much proof of just how far we are from the National Powerhouses and the recruits / coaching that come with that territory. Urban can give some legitimacy to the conference but other than that......weak sauce

I know this is going to be considered heresy, but I don’t think the BIG is as bad as people say. It just plays a different kind of football – smash mouth – that people might not "get" anymore.

Remember, Nick Saban didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Michigan State, and Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa all gave wunderkind Urban Meyer a game. That tells me the BIG may not be so bad after all.

Seems like tons of Illinois and Ohio kids are heading to the SEC and elsewhere outside the B10 this year in football.

Outside of kids heading to Notre Dame, and a few to Kentucky and Tennessee, most of the top talent in Ohio will stay in the B1G. Ohio State and Michigan will have most of the talent along with Michigan State.

I was going to say. Ohio State gets most of the Ohio kids it wants, Michigan and Penn State get a few. The rest of the BIG or MAC school get the rest of the solid players. The only Ohio kids going south I can think of are the recruits that went with Butch Davis to Tennessee, but Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan probably didn't want them in the first place.