Afalava

mwj98

Quick question....I know it has been discussed quite a bit.....but, we blitzed a lot more on 3rd down, which was needed. But, I can't seem to figure out why Santos seem to be chasing quite a bit, I don't know if it's technique or what....I saw Banderas do it a few times. Thoughts?

Number 18 looked lost. Don't know who that is.

I do know that we are a little soft at the point of attack. Too busy trying to read. Just blow it up. Santos does that alot. Afalava didn't. He ran through some folks.

#18 is LeRoy Alexander. He's a redshirt frosh, getting his first significant playing time. He will look lost at times.

Quick question....I know it has been discussed quite a bit.....but, we blitzed a lot more on 3rd down, which was needed. But, I can't seem to figure out why Santos seem to be chasing quite a bit, I don't know if it's technique or what....I saw Banderas do it a few times. Thoughts?

I do know that we are a little soft at the point of attack. Too busy trying to read. Just blow it up. Santos does that alot. Afalava didn't. He ran through some folks.

#18 is Alexander.

Too your point on blitzing: I don't understand why we don't blitz the hell out of a QB when they prove play after play that they can't connect with a WR when we bring the house. If the opposing QB is struggling with the pressure, we should bring it more often until that QB burns us on it.

Afalava responded nicely, but our most impressive LB yesterday was Rose. That guy knows how to make a tackle.

Santos is a bit hesitant. When he does fill the hole he takes on the OL. Instead of avoiding them, he goes straight for them. Rose is more elusive and harder to block, so Santos is always chasing while Rose is pursuing. Rose reminded me of David yesterday. Hard to block because he gets skinny through holes and avoids blocks. Rose should be our MLB right now. He must have pre snap trouble getting everyone lined up. Only reason Santos is playing IMO. Banderas is a little slow and a bit over his head at the moment, but will be awesome in the future. We really have some talent. Want nothing more than Bo to be around to see them flourish. This is going to be a hell of a defense in a year or so, pretty good by the end of the year.

Santos is a bit hesitant. When he does fill the hole he takes on the OL. Instead of avoiding them, he goes straight for them. Rose is more elusive and harder to block, so Santos is always chasing while Rose is pursuing. Rose reminded me of David yesterday. Hard to block because he gets skinny through holes and avoids blocks. Rose should be our MLB right now. He must have pre snap trouble getting everyone lined up. Only reason Santos is playing IMO. Banderas is a little slow and a bit over his head at the moment, but will be awesome in the future. We really have some talent. Want nothing more than Bo to be around to see them flourish. This is going to be a hell of a defense in a year or so, pretty good by the end of the year.

I, too, think they should try to work in Mike Rose at MIKE rather than Rose. It is undoubtedly his natural position and a place where the staff wants him. Also, once Zaire gets healthy, I think having Rose and Zaire is better than Zaire (or Rose) and Santos.

I think Santos is playing way out of his natural position when he plays MIKE. Id like him either at Sam or Buck.

Agreed. But I'm afraid his lack of quickness will limit his play there to when we can play a true 4-3.

I think he is hesitant more than he is anything. That could be why he appears slow.

I think Santos is playing way out of his natural position when he plays MIKE. Id like him either at Sam or Buck.

Agreed. But I'm afraid his lack of quickness will limit his play there to when we can play a true 4-3.

I think he is hesitant more than he is anything. That could be why he appears slow.

Agree

Santos keeps biting on fakes that aren't his responsibility, taking bad angles because he gets behind, etc. Seems like he's just not sure where to go and as a result he was late getting to the ballcarrier on several plays, at least from what I could see in South Stadium.

Rose and Afalava I thought showed zero hesitation after they got their feet wet. I'd have to watch the replay again to say anything specific.

Just rewatched the game again and concentrated solely on the linebacker play. I think Santos is still thinking a little to much and not attacking the point of attack. He lets ball carriers of blockers come to him instead of meeting them in the hole. Thought Rose and Afalava did a little better job of this but at times looked like they were making incorrect read which is to be expected with their lack of experience. When Gerry gets everything figured out he will be a good one. He flies to the point of attack but is only making the correct read about half the time. Our future looks very bright, just hope the light comes on before northwestern.