Jack's chemo port has been removed

knapplc

@TeamJackHoffman

Jack is out of port surgery @ChildrensOmaha. Chemo port is out and he is in recovery. All smiles. 2day is also 2 year craniversary-10/10/11

Again, not a guarantee that everything will be OK forever, but this is a huge step forward. Oncologists aren't keen to remove chemo ports if they think there's a likelihood of them being used again.

Jack probably isn't totally out of the woods yet, but he's standing at the edge, looking a a bright, sunny field full of hope. It's a damned good place to be after what he's gone through.

• Fire 3

I don't know a whole lot about how cancer works, truthfully, but I remember on the ESPN segment his mom said he would never be cancer-free because his tumor was along his spinal column, or something to that effect?

Yes she did say that. At the very least this buys time for him to live his life like a normal kid.

It's a difficult question to answer, LL. Everyone has cancerous cells in their bodies right now. Most people's bodies take care of these cells as their immune system is designed to. People who "have cancer" have immune systems which aren't removing those cells. If Jack's immune system starts behaving toward those cells as they should, he could be free and clear from this. You just never know what's going to happen.

Great news Jack, keep fighting and good luck! My best friend's boy was diagnosed with, what's usually, a lethal brain tumor when he was 8 years old. Luckily his vision was blurry and his mom took him to the eye doctor. Things progressed from there to an MRI that found this tumor right at his brain stem. He had surgery, went through chemo and radiation and 7 years later he's still cancer free and a 15 year old kid, getting ready to turn 16 with his whole future in front of him. Miracles happen and he's living proof of that...................I have faith.

Congrats to Jack and his family! It is truly amazing what this young kid has overcome! I also think the generosity that so many people have shown by backing his family and their cause.

We have a young boy here in our town named Kayden. He was recently diagnosed with leukemia and he his fighting a very tough fight at the moment. And the community here has been extremely supportive and generous with helping his family out. The high school football team every year sell cards that have deals to local restaurants and places to earn money. We as a team earned over 4k. They then voted without us coaches knowing, to donate all of the money to his family to help pay for bills and expenses. It was truly a great thing.

With all the negative things we hear about in the world today it sure is awesome to see when people rally around these young people and support them in their fight against cancer. Kids like Jack and Kayden are truly people to admire for their courage and toughness