*** What Did We Learn ***

I learned this team is definitely missing Jake long at TE in the run game.

And today again proved there needs to be a change opposite VV

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

blocker

Ben Cotton's blocking? Really?

No.

Ben Cotton was a really good run blocker. If you didnt see it, there's no hope.

Run blocker, I hear you, but he was a terrible pass blocker. Completely unreliable at helping out on blitz packages. He was decent, but isn't missed. He should be replaceable.

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Its one thing to hate the rule, but it was an easy call.

Penalties are fine. My beef is with the ejections. A guy that is 6'3, 6'4 trying to tackle a guy that is 6 feet at the very most by making for damn sure that his head is below the other one's is too much to ask for. The consistency of the rules is a crock of sh#t in itself. How can you try to intepret his intentions on such a play, and then punish him and the team even more by taking him out of the game. The ejection part of the rule is bullsh#t, and on this play especially was not warranted.

Now, I ask another question. If Stanley wraps up with his arms but his head and shoulders are still making contact in the same place, not only does he not get ejected, it's probably not even a penalty. This is the bs double standard with these rules. Call 'em all, or dont call it at all.

• Fire 1

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

blocker

No.

Run blocker, I hear you, but he was a terrible pass blocker. Completely unreliable at helping out on blitz packages. He was decent, but isn't missed. He should be replaceable.

He was a tight end. Usually, on a pass play, he was probably out for passes and NOT blocking. Just a hunch.

I dunno where to put this, and I hate to be this guy, but TA's running motion reminds me a little bit of Tommie Frazier. Just the way his shoulders rock and match up with his stride. I learned I might be brave enough this week to say it in public.

Pretty sure youre not the first to say it. Youre fine. :lol:

Phew.

blocker

No.

He was a tight end. Usually, on a pass play, he was probably out for passes and NOT blocking. Just a hunch.

All I remember is when we did ask him to stay and block he did a terrible job of it. He was a bigger guy at TE who should be expected to do that throughout a game and just didn't preform well at it. He did run block and was a decent pass catcher, but he sometimes didn't even touch anyone on blitzes and left Martinez out to dry. He should be anyone who we miss at a program such as Nebraska.

I dunno where to put this, and I hate to be this guy, but TA's running motion reminds me a little bit of Tommie Frazier. Just the way his shoulders rock and match up with his stride. I learned I might be brave enough this week to say it in public.

We've been noticing a similar decision-making ability running the option for a while. Maybe TA needs to stop the long bombs and start throwing bullet passes like Tommie?

We've been noticing a similar decision-making ability running the option for a while. Maybe TA needs to stop the long bombs and start throwing bullet passes like Tommie?

You know, I am of the opinion that he needs to play within himself and do whatever he and the coaches feel comfortable with. I don't even know how his accuracy is with the bullet. I am pleased that we recruited a natural qb though. He is pretty good for a freshman. I've loved having Taylor play for us, but this time we might skip two season of ad-lib shovel passes.

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Seeing the replay it was like SJB was doing a demonstration for the rule. What he should've done was tackle in a way that didn't involve a head butt and then not act cocky afterwards. It would've been a really boneheaded move in a close game against a top team....kind of like getting a 15 for pushing the qb after the pass is gone. If you don't like the rule then take it up with the NCAA and be sure to mention all the other ones I don't like, but don't lose the game over it.

Seeing the replay it was like SJB was doing a demonstration for the rule. What he should've done was tackle in a way that didn't involve a head butt and then not act cocky afterwards. It would've been a really boneheaded move in a close game against a top team....kind of like getting a 15 for pushing the qb after the pass is gone. If you don't like the rule then take it up with the NCAA and be sure to mention all the other ones I don't like, but don't lose the game over it.

I thought Purdue got away with a helmet to helmet on Burtch. I could be mistaken though. It's such a potentially devastating call that's very easy to miss or call incorrectly. I don't like how much power it gives officials over the game. With player safety I see it as a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean I always agree with the execution.

Yup, when you slow it down it was technically the right call. This rule sucks any aggressiveness and instinct out of the playmakers.

I thought Purdue got away with a helmet to helmet on Burtch. I could be mistaken though. It's such a potentially devastating call that's very easy to miss or call incorrectly. I don't like how much power it gives officials over the game. With player safety I see it as a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean I always agree with the execution.

Hence, Bo's postgame comments.

Hence, Bo's postgame comments.

Would you be so kind as to give me the cliff's notes?