*** What Did We Learn ***

Thoughts:

1) Our defense has improved incredibly.

2) Admittedly, however, this was Purdue. Not an offensive powerhouse.

3) Gregory is a bad, bad man, and is definitely going to be the anchor of this defense. He wears the #44 well.

4) Armstrong is a freshman that had a freshman-like game, which is okay. He has plenty to learn.

5) That being said, Martinez shall be the starter once he returns.

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Its one thing to hate the rule, but it was an easy call.

No..... Just no.

His head was to the side and he led with his shoulder. I'm not sure how else a defender is supposed to make that play.

Having seen the replay a few dozen times, I'm just not sure how anyone is concluding that the crown of SJB's helmet didn't make contact with this kids chin?

Here is what they are trying to eliminate with this rule, and I repeat hating the rule is fine, I hate the way they are pussifying football just like everyone else hates it. I am simply interpreting the rule as it is. What they are trying to eliminate is guys leading in with the top of their head, or spearing. In other words, what they are asking of players is what coaches teach as fundamental tacking and one of those fundamentals is keeping your head up. Head up, facemask up, facing the opponent. Had SJB had his face up looking at the opponent, this call would never have been made. I don't understand how somebody can watch the same replay and not clearly see the fact that SJB led with the top of his helmet into the Purdue player. I also don't understand why guys want to tackle like this. I made a hit very similar to this on an opponent in high school and I swear I still get headaches as a result of the neck jam I got when I did it. It hurt me as much as it hurt him.

Here's a screen grab. A little blurry but you can pretty easily see the top of SJB's helmet hits the facemask.

maybe so, the camera angle might distort it, but it looks visually affirming from this shot.

If you watch the replay, you can see the Purdue player's helmet move pretty good when SJB hits it.

If two players moving that fast collide, their heads will move. Head rests were put into cars to prevent whiplash for the same reason. The ball went flying about 5 yards on contact, so it is obvious that SJB targeted the ball. I don't see how a player is supposed to have that much control. If they did, they would never miss tackles.

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

No..... Just no.

His head was to the side and he led with his shoulder. I'm not sure how else a defender is supposed to make that play.

Having seen the replay a few dozen times, I'm just not sure how anyone is concluding that the crown of SJB's helmet didn't make contact with this kids chin?

Here is what they are trying to eliminate with this rule, and I repeat hating the rule is fine, I hate the way they are pussifying football just like everyone else hates it. I am simply interpreting the rule as it is. What they are trying to eliminate is guys leading in with the top of their head, or spearing. In other words, what they are asking of players is what coaches teach as fundamental tacking and one of those fundamentals is keeping your head up. Head up, facemask up, facing the opponent. Had SJB had his face up looking at the opponent, this call would never have been made. I don't understand how somebody can watch the same replay and not clearly see the fact that SJB led with the top of his helmet into the Purdue player. I also don't understand why guys want to tackle like this. I made a hit very similar to this on an opponent in high school and I swear I still get headaches as a result of the neck jam I got when I did it. It hurt me as much as it hurt him.

But how is a guy as tall as SJB supposed to get his shoulder into the mid-section of a player without bending forward? All defenders will be J. Mitchell size in a few years.

No..... Just no.

But how is a guy as tall as SJB supposed to get his shoulder into the mid-section of a player without bending forward? All defenders will be J. Mitchell size in a few years.

I didn't say anything about his shoulder. Also his height has nothing to do with it.

If his head is up, facing forward, this call is not made. PERIOD. They do not want guys trying to tackle like this. They don't want "spearing".

Again, all other arguments are useless. HEAD UP, NO CALL.

No..... Just no.

I didn't say anything about his shoulder. Also his height has nothing to do with it.

If his head is up, facing forward, this call is not made. PERIOD. They do not want guys trying to tackle like this. They don't want "spearing".

Again, all other arguments are useless. HEAD UP, NO CALL.

My point is that you must bend over at the waist to hit someone with the top of the shoulder. And if you are tall, you must bend over a lot. This means you need a near 90 degree bend at the neck to keep the face mask forward. The players should take off the shoulder pads and just run into opposing players with their chest. Football is dying a little every year as more BS rules are added.