*** What Did We Learn ***

4) Beck needs to ease up on throwing the ball around with a substantial lead

It was working. Running was alright, but blocking was sub-par and the fact Purdue was blitzing 90% of the time. I was hoping for a bit more play action to ease the defensive blitzing calls to allow for more runs.

Fumbles are continuing to be a problem.

Josh Mitchell has little business being on a D1 football field. Lacks the size, lacks the smarts, lacks the skills. He must have a recording of Bo or something..

Is this just because of his two penalties??

Nah, Josh has been exposed as a complete liability all season.

Just in my own casual observations this season, at least 3-4 times per game I think about how poorly he's playing based on what I see.

I learned that Purdue is the worst offense we've played. With the exception of Enunwa our receiver's talents have been greatly exaggerated. None of our qb's are great and Stanton has as good a shot of starting next year as anyone. Newby seems to be getting worse the longer he's here. Our linebackers are pretty good and should get better with experience. Gregory is a monster and always seems to be in on the big plays. Abdullah must be a cross-country runner because he doesn't appear to ever tire. Frazier looks like a potentially great back. Long is a great o-lineman and it sucks that he got injured in a scrimmage like this. Even at our best we may not be better than Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin , or Michigan State.

1. Purdue really does suck.

2. On that note, so does Notre Dame

3. Armstrong has work to do as a passer. Maybe he is only good in Memorial Stadium in Lincoln,

4. Cross still can be a really good HB, just has to make sure he holds onto the ball.

5. This defense does its' best when we make the other team guess what/where pressure is coming.

Josh Mitchell has little business being on a D1 football field. Lacks the size, lacks the smarts, lacks the skills. He must have a recording of Bo or something..

Is this just because of his two penalties??

Nah, Josh has been exposed as a complete liability all season.

Just in my own casual observations this season, at least 3-4 times per game I think about how poorly he's playing based on what I see.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I really though he had played well most of the time the last two years but the only plays he's "made" this year are when he's getting beat.

I learned this team is definitely missing Jake long at TE in the run game.

And today again proved there needs to be a change opposite VV

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

Ben Cotton's blocking? Really?

No.

Im trying to figure out what SJB could have done differently? Turn his left should in? Difficult to do in real time. Has anyone seen a situation where the receive maliciously turns into the defender to draw a targeting call? Im not saying that this happened here, but that would be smart play.

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

No.

He was good, much better than Reed anyway.

Im trying to figure out what SJB could have done differently? Turn his left should in? Difficult to do in real time. Has anyone seen a situation where the receive maliciously turns into the defender to draw a targeting call? Im not saying that this happened here, but that would be smart play.

He is 6' 3" or 6' 2" or whatever you want to call him. Of course he is going to come in high. He is much taller than the guy he hit!

No.

Ben Cotton was a really good run blocker. If you didnt see it, there's no hope.

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Its one thing to hate the rule, but it was an easy call.