*** What Did We Learn ***

What I learned:

Offense:

1. QE is a man, sure he had a drop or two (1 in my book). But he had a good day. As did Westerkamp in his first extended action, two big 3rd down catches.

2. AA is by far our best back. Cross just couldn't get it going today, Purdue's DT's were pretty good.

3. Tommy struggled today, learning/growing pain day. I said his throws were off last week but gave him the benefit of doubt due to the wind, not today. I truly believe he will be our future, but a healthy Taylor is our present. No doubt in my mind.

4. We will miss Long if he missed extended time. He was an All-American for a reason.

5. Cethan Carter is improving every week in blocking.

6. Beck still leaves me confused sometimes.

Defense:

1. We played FAST. I know it was Purdue, but you can see the confidence and attitude building. They are starting to gain that swagger back that they need.

2. Green and Leroy are holding down the other safety position well. HJax made a couple nice plays today, but is still 3rd in my book...still want some CJax...

3. Nathan Gerry played night and day better than he has the last couple games in run D today. Heckuva ball game by this kid.

4. Ciante found his groove. Mitchell is still looking for one. Davie played better than Rose in limited reps. Seisay played good in limited reps also, good to see.

5. Beating a dead horse....VV, Curry and Collins are all playing better than Thad. VV guarding that RB screen today was a thing of beauty. Curry and Collins are VERY athletic.

3. Nathan Gerry played night and day better than he has the last couple games in run D today. Heckuva ball game by this kid.

Also a great job by Gerry sniffing out the fake punt and forcing the bad throw. When he see something, he closes the gap in a hurry.

Yes, second time he has done that on trick plays. It also shows when he is covers WR screens and passes to RB's in the flat. He really can close.

And as far as SJB's hit, I was very close to the field on that end and it sure as heck looked like first contact was made with I

his shoulder and the helmet to helmet was incidental and really minor compared to what I've seen.

With the advantage of watching it on TV, this is also what I thought in real time. When you break it down in slow mo, he does make contact with his helmet. The refs were pretty spot on.

When 2 players approximately the same height are both in athletic stances and a tackle is made, the helmets will hit more times than not. People need to stop acting like it's such a big deal. A helmet is the most sophisticated piece of equipment on a player's body. A little contact there won't do much.

I didn't articulate what I meant very well. When I saw the play happen, I thought that in no way did SJB hit with the guy with any part of his helmet. I thought that he hit him with his shoulder pad, in fact I would have bet $100 that there was no head to head contact. I would have lost because in slo mo his helmet did make contact with the other player's helmet. I was trying to say that I was impressed that the ref saw the actual helmet/helmet contact full speed, that is the part I thought was "spot on."

However, is it targeting? No, I don't think so and it should have been overturned. I'm more pissed with the booth review crew then the field referee. Here is a copied and pasted interpretation of the rule, and I would think it would be very obvious to the booth crew that is reviewing it that SJB did not lead with his crown.

The targeting rule is as follows:

• No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.

• No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.

The automatic ejection is the new part. A 15-yard penalty is one thing, an ejection is huge, especially if it happens in the second half of a game — because it carries over to the first half of the next game.

Here's a screen grab. A little blurry but you can pretty easily see the top of SJB's helmet hits the facemask.

maybe so, the camera angle might distort it, but it looks visually affirming from this shot.

If you watch the replay, you can see the Purdue player's helmet move pretty good when SJB hits it.

I learned that Purdue is the worst offense we've played. With the exception of Enunwa our receiver's talents have been greatly exaggerated. None of our qb's are great and Stanton has as good a shot of starting next year as anyone. Newby seems to be getting worse the longer he's here. Our linebackers are pretty good and should get better with experience. Gregory is a monster and always seems to be in on the big plays. Abdullah must be a cross-country runner because he doesn't appear to ever tire. Frazier looks like a potentially great back. Long is a great o-lineman and it sucks that he got injured in a scrimmage like this. Even at our best we may not be better than Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin , or Michigan State.

You sir are delusional if you really believe this. You really think Bell's talents are exaggerated? So Turner dropped a pass that would been a touchdown, Irving Fryer dropped a touchdown pass in the 1984 Orange Bowl, it happens. Westercamp is starting to come on, and they have said all along from practice reports he has the best hand on team. Then their is athletic freak Alonzo Moore, who will be getting more chances . Guess you are the type that if a couple of guys don't play as well as the normally do, you go all negative nancy and say they suck. Could be the best receiving corps in the country. Top 10 for sure

And more delusional thinking. That was by far Newbys best game

1. We learned that Kellogg should not be automatically dismissed in any theoretical starting quarterback discussions.

2. Cross is good enough to start on at least 90 other teams, but he happens to play on a team that has Abdullah. They both deserve the ball on every snap.

3. Offensive players will soon learn how to manipulate the "targeting of a defensive player" rule, and we will have more wide receivers flopping in any one game than a whole season of World Cup Soccer.

4. Our defense hasn't achieved greatness as of yet, but they have rediscovered a thing called "the sack" and they are starting to play on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

I learned this team is definitely missing Jake long at TE in the run game.

And today again proved there needs to be a change opposite VV

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

That is the Barney effect. OL gets better, the TE's start to suck.