Bye Week Observations

I am going to be livid in Roby is not ejected....he launched into the Iowa receiver.

He gone.

GIF: Ohio State All-American CB Bradley Roby ejected for targeting

By Adam Jacobi@Adam_Jacobi on Oct 19 2013, 4:22p 19

osutarg1.0_standard_709.0.jpg

ABC/ESPN

Roby launched himself at Iowa TE C.J. Fiedorowicz on a helmet-to-helmet hit, but it was still a complicated call to make.

Tweet Share on Twitter (23)Share Share on Facebook (78) Share 19 Comments

Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby delivered a high hit, and the Buckeyes' secondary took a huge hit as a result.

Roby was called for targeting after hitting Iowa tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz on a helmet-to-helmet hit, and though the crowd showered officials with boos, the call was confirmed upon review, resulting in an ejection for the All-American junior:

OSUtarget_medium.gif

(GIF via ABC/ESPN)

It's a difficult call to make, because while Roby is clearly seen launching himself at Fiedorowicz's upper body, Fiedorowicz is 6'7", so trying to make contact with the Iowa TE where he was catching the ball would necessarily involve going high for Roby. Additionally, Roby is clearly not interested in wrapping up, but he leads with his shoulder; without helmets, the two players' heads likely wouldn't have made any contact.

But this is a sport with helmets and a newly vested interest in brain safety, so Roby's play necessitated an ejection, and he probably doesn't have much of a gripe after he injured Iowa RB Damon Bullock on an uncalled (and likely unintentional, but still obvious) helmet-to-helmet hit on the prior play. So it goes.

I don't think he was targetting the ball. Dude was head hunting.

Two things in this Iowa/Ohio State game:

First: How was that "running into the kicker" on the Iowa punt to end the first half? How can you have more than full body contact with the kicker? Was the defender pushed into the kicker and I missed it? If that's not roughing the kicker, I don't know what is. Full contact with the kicker's leg in the air (the "vulnerable position" they're supposed to be protecting the kicker for), and knocked the kicker to the ground. But it was a five-yard penalty only.

Second: On that Carlos Hyde TD, how was that not reviewed? That was by no means an obvious TD. He may have broken the plane but if so, it was by one hair's breadth. I'm not saying that wasn't a TD, but to let them kick the extra point without stopping for a review is crazy.

Ohio State is the Big 10's bellcow, that's how.

Ohio State=Texas. Michigan=Oklahoma. Nebraska=Nebraska

Changing conferences didn't really change things all that much did it?

At least we already have our one win against OSU :hookerhorns

Florida State is an outstanding team. They've absolutely killed two ranked teams in the past two weeks, including a Clemson team at home that was ranked #3 in the country. Winston is the best freshman QB I've ever seen and they have a ton of weapons on both sides of the ball. Their defensive speed is incredible and their secondary has been very impressive. So they're worth keepng an eye on as well.

Florida State is an outstanding team. They've absolutely killed two ranked teams in the past two weeks, including a Clemson team at home that was ranked #3 in the country. Winston is the best freshman QB I've ever seen and they have a ton of weapons on both sides of the ball. Their defensive speed is incredible and their secondary has been very impressive. So they're worth keepng an eye on as well.

I disagree. Love him or hate him, what Johnny Manziel did last year was unprecedented.

I disagree. Love him or hate him, what Johnny Manziel did last year was unprecedented.

Winston's doing better on pretty much every stat compared to where Manziel was at this point last year.

Let's move to a place where the excuses flow like Wine, where the espn talking heads instinctively flock like the mosquitoes of Tuscaloosa.....I'm talking about a little place called aSECpn.

Ahh nice. And appropriate that the movie was titled 'Dumb and Dumber' :D

Winston's doing better on pretty much every stat compared to where Manziel was at this point last year.

Yeah, they showed the stats after the game. Johnny Hypesman is a great college QB, but I'd take Winston over him and wouldn't even think twice about it. Winston also manages not to be a complete douchebag...something that has eluded Manziel.