The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

np husker does have a valid point! It will come down to money in the end and nobody has money like Texas, but Texas doesn't have the tradition Nebraska does either. USC you can say has Tradition like Nebraska so is this a valid reason to keep Bo another year and let the coaching landscape play out and see what options are out there 18 months from now?

I haven't read this entire thread (it's getting rather long), so this might have been mentioned earlier, but with USC looking for a coach and Texas possibly looking for a coach, NU won't look all that exciting to the big names out there in coaching land.

That's all, carry on.

I totally agree with you, which actually supports the case to fire Bo sooner than later (possibly after the last regular season game) so the new coach can be selected. In these days most top coaches would likely choose Texas or USC over Nebraska in my opinion.

For those saying Scott Frost is too inexperienced, so was Kliff at Texas Tech and Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern.

Here is Fitz's resume before he became their head coach:

1998 - Maryland (LB)

1999 - Colorado (LB)

2000 - Idaho (LB)

2001–2005 - Northwestern (LB)

2006–present - Northwestern (HC)

Here's Kliff's:

2008–2009 - Houston (assistant)

2010–2011 - Houston (co-OC/QB)

2012 - Texas A&M (OC/QB)

2013–present - Texas Tech (HC)

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you all are making it. Ultimately, we want someone with all the right qualities to be a successful HC here. I think Frost has those. He knows the program, can recruit, is loved by his players, shows passion and yet control.

As I stated in another thread:

You just compared a coaching search at NU to that of NW and Texas Tech. Huge differences are the resources at NU and the fact that the expectations at NU aren't even in the same ball park as either of those schools. Fitz is 0-3??? In league and nobody is calling for his head.

Bingo. Corncraze is right, you could have zero resume and walk in if you happen to have the right HC qualities, and indeed, Scott Frost might have that. You could make such a nebulous "HC qualities" appraisal about hundreds of other guys in the country, though, most of whom just didn't happen to be a former Husker starting QB (Zac Taylor is one exception).

Texas Tech and Northwestern can afford a total swing for the fences. Nebraska, after presumably getting rid of a coach who routinely wins 10 games and appears in the CCG? I don't think so.

Also the problem is most people are looking at Frost as not a "swing for the fences" candidate who might pan out in his first HC gig, but as a guy who is simply going to bring Oregon's offense here on his own.

I haven't read this entire thread (it's getting rather long), so this might have been mentioned earlier, but with USC looking for a coach and Texas possibly looking for a coach, NU won't look all that exciting to the big names out there in coaching land.

That's all, carry on.

I totally agree with you, which actually supports the case to fire Bo sooner than later (possibly after the last regular season game) so the new coach can be selected. In these days most top coaches would likely choose Texas or USC over Nebraska in my opinion.

The search is on at USC and the admins at UT are already doing their search if they have decided to make a change using search firms and NDS forms.

Monte Kiffin - If you fire Bo and hire Monte, you have the exact same defensive scheme pretty much with that Tampa Two Monte runs. Someone more X's and O's knowledgable can correct me there if I am wrong about the similarities between the two schemes.

Craig Bohl - Tressel did come from a D1-AA, but I'd rather hire a coordinator that knows big time recruiting than a D1-AA guy.