The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

The thing about Scott Frost is I believe he would be here for the long term. Anyone else... They will use this as a stepping stone and they are gone.

Another name that I think would stay for the long haul is Jim Tressell. Obviously he messed up at OSU, but he paid the price. I would have no problem with hiring him.

• Fire 1

Frost, although has no HC experience would make the most sense in terms of hiring someone for the long term. Just look at what former alum Kingsbury has done for TT. I think Frost would bring a wealth of knowledge from UO and would be able to recruit the right players for his offensive system. I like how UO can run/pass in any situation, any game they are in. It's really difficult to prepare for their offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing us have an offense that can win games 63-21, 59-14, 49-20, etc. He would just need to find a good defensive coordinator! So, the more I think about SF, the more it makes sense to me.

I posted this in another thread as well, but I think it's relevant here:

I think Frost would be fine here. He has better qualifications than people think... He has pretty good experience on both sides of the ball. He was also raised by a family of coaches.

Obviously he won a NC as a starting QB with us, so he knows how our championship teams operated. His collegiate accomplishments will also command the respect of his players. Then he played 7 years in the NFL on defense and ST. After which apparently his leadership skills were noticeable that Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris encouraged him to get into coaching.

Here is his coaching career:

2002 - Nebraska (GA)

2006 - Kansas St. (GA)

2007 -N. Iowa (LB)

2008 - N. Iowa (Co-DC)

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 - Oregon (WR)

2013-present - Oregon (OC) (QB)

He has also worked with some incredible coaches:

Tom Osborne

Bille Walsh

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Mike Tomlin

Chip Kelly

Furthermore, he's is from Nebraska and says he will always see Nebraska as his home. I don't he'd ever leave for another job, because genuinely want to here. He also understands our culture, which is a major plus. He knows what type of exceptions our fans have and he would know how to talk to our media.

Frost also is a great recruiter with connections to California and Arizona. He's also shown ability to recruit in other places around the nation (which is essential for us) in places like Texas and Ohio. He has a great energy (not overly aggressive), but very enthusiastic. Players love to play for him.

• Fire 1

Any NFL coaches that might want to get back to the college level out there? I know Saban tried out the NFL and didn't like it and quickly moved back to college. Not sure if Chip Kelly or somebody else is out there that may want to get back in the college game. I know Chip is having a bad time at Philly, but that doesn't mean he would not be successful again at the collegiate level.

I haven't read the entire thread and I know it's another "who knows" hire, but what's the feeling about Pat Narduzzi? The Michigan State defensive coordinator................is he the genius behind their stellar defenses or is that on D'Antonio?

Best suggestion I've heard so far...

I know he's only a "coordinator", but a hell of a lot more realistic than the standard and overheard "Fitzgerald" or "Petersen" responses...

Any NFL coaches that might want to get back to the college level out there? I know Saban tried out the NFL and didn't like it and quickly moved back to college. Not sure if Chip Kelly or somebody else is out there that may want to get back in the college game. I know Chip is having a bad time at Philly, but that doesn't mean he would not be successful again at the collegiate level.

I don't think we would be able to afford Chip Kelly and I don't think he would be here for the long-term and would jump ship at either the first sign of trouble or the next big offer. Regardless. he was a great offensive mind/coach in college though.

The guy for the job is Al Golden. Now, getting him to leave a more lucrative position is going to take savvy and money, but he's the right move. He can recruit and that's a major issue, imo. I saw him do him do great things with Temple and if could get kids to come to North Philadelphia, he will be able to get them to Lincoln.

For the people wanting Scott Frost, he is no longer calling plays for Oregon. Scott is in the same shoes as JP, glorified puppet.

Link? Because I've read several that say otherwise. Helfrich has stated Frost calls the plays...

No link...Just a friend that lives up there and is a ticket holder. He said the Scott got it taken away a couple games ago.

Here's a thought and he could bring his coordinators: Head Coach George O'Leary

"I challenged the kids all week to stay hungry and get after the game. I thought we went out there and really did a good job in the first half. We were productive on offense and on defense; it was a good overall game. I challenged them to think of it as six championship games. Today was one, now you have five left. Each week you have to treat it like a championship game. Attack it, stay with your accountability and responsibility, regardless. I thought it was a good game, a productive game. I thought the difference on the field was speed. I thought we were very good in space. We got both quarterbacks out there. I thought Blake (Bortles) had a very productive day. The young kid (Justin Holman) -- obviously you can see the talent level he has. He just needs more reps and with more reps he is going to be a very good player." Only thing is how do you leave Florida for Nebraska? T_O_B

A few weeks ago, I was against the idea of Frost. Now I am starting the lean towards him. I agree with others that believe Frost would be a long term coach, but would we be willing to give him time? <joke> Would he hire his mom as DC? </joke>

We need to get over the "we can get anyone" thought simply because we can't. We are not going to throw $5+ million at anyone, and that is not a bad thing.

Here's an idea and the guy will be looking for a job and has great college credentials: g_schiano_120301_65x90.jpg

Greg Schiano

Schiano, as the head coach of Rutgers University, where he served 11 years, transforming the Scarlet Knights from an unknown into a consistently competitive, winning and respected program.

Prior to heading up the Rutgers program, Schiano served two seasons (1999-00) as defensive coordinator with the Miami Hurricanes.

Schiano served three seasons in the NFL as a defensive assistant (1996-97) and later defensive backfield coach for the Chicago Bears (1998) and also spent six seasons under the late Joe Paterno at Penn State as a graduate assistant (1990) and defensive backfield coach (1991-95).

Schiano -is a 1988 graduate of Bucknell University, where he was a three-year letterman at linebacker.