The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

i would think that as an a.d., any a.d., would want to hire someone that he is comfortable with and has had a previous relationship with.

eichorst has hired al golden at miami and worked with paul chyrst at pitt right now. both have roots in the big 10.

i would think that each of them would be getting a call if it goes that far.

one thing that i have been wondering about is not so much if bo gets fired but i would not be surprised if bo is not

actively looking for another job.

I'm wondering the same thing. By the way, there's an interesting discussion going on in another thread that fits this one (Colorado Avalanch thread) EZ I hope you join that discussion. I would like to hear your take on what would it be like to have a Husker Legends Football coaching system if or when Bo leaves? (I'm not totally sold on him leaving-I think he's done really good things not only for the football program but in the community as well. Nebraska is a tough place to coach. Our fans (me included) are so spoiled that we still expect the '90's results from any and every team that is recruited here. I can still hear the NU fans chanting 'We want Bo! We want Bo! when Solich was fired. Well, we got Bo. I'm just as disappointed as the next person that we lost to Minnesota but I knew that if we went into that game thinking we would just go in and beat the crap out of them that we would lose. I not only think we lost our focus, I don't think we prepared well to play those kids. JMO)

Doesn't Tressel still have the no-approach clause?

Would have to be worked through. We could hire Frost for a 3 year contract and if it doesn't work out then Tressel and others would be available in 2017. I would make Shaw a $4-$5 million dollar man. I think his salary is currently $2.5 million. I like what Stanford does on the OL, TE's, and running game...sound defense too. Who would do this deal? Shaw for $4-$5 milliion? Peterson is at $1.7 million. I would offer him $4 million. We need to pull a serious hire showing we are here to win championships.

Oh, I agree that no doubt, we need an established name and proven winner and need to be willing to open the pocketbook. I really like Richt, especially since he knows the type of athletes needed to compete against the SEC, along with his Nebraska roots. I just still think Eichorst will attempt to get Golden first, due to his connection w/ him.

Nick Saban has been brought up a few times but im curious as to more why not from others. Do you think it would be that hard to get him from alabama. From what ive read he has no ties to the program other than the 3 to maybe 4 NC hes produced. This is a hire we would need to bring us in the next level. Hell maybe he would like alittle more of a challange. Maybe he woudl want to square away with urban on a regular basis. Does nebraska have deep enough pockets to turn him away and give him a new challange. Think of all the sec talent that would come from that hire alone. I tell you what i do know is something needs to be done because Nebraska is going to be a footnote in the football history books sooner than latter.

Nick Saban has been brought up a few times but im curious as to more why not from others. Do you think it would be that hard to get him from alabama. From what ive read he has no ties to the program other than the 3 to maybe 4 NC hes produced. This is a hire we would need to bring us in the next level. Hell maybe he would like alittle more of a challange. Maybe he woudl want to square away with urban on a regular basis. Does nebraska have deep enough pockets to turn him away and give him a new challange. Think of all the sec talent that would come from that hire alone. I tell you what i do know is something needs to be done because Nebraska is going to be a footnote in the football history books sooner than latter.

oh I am sure he would love to bolt out of Tuscaloosa to Lincoln. Seems like a great career move to me.

If read another Nick Saban comment I'll puke. Jeebus guys. Be reasonable. This place would be too much a threat to his legacy. Not to mention, we bitch about Bo's demeanor, we would fry Saban his first loss. We as a fanbase cant handle Nick Saban. Plain and simple. Move on.

It would either be a proven coordinator at a major school like Bo was, or the next Tressel/Meyer/Saban/Kelly-hopeful up-and-comer from a non-bcs program. I'd prefer this one. Someone's who's already made their hey, made their mistakes as a HEAD COACH. Enough with the learning-on-the-job experiments. It doesnt work that way on pride and such anymore. Show the money, get who we need. But it has to be reasonable.

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

There is a world of difference between now and 2003. First off is in 2003 the perception was the program was on the rebound with the new assistants. The 'laughing stock' came from the national media being in disbelief that we would fire a guy who had 9 wins and was 2 years removed from playing for a National Title. This year those same national media guys are on the fire Bo bandwagon.

Secondly, the firing of Solich caused a massive rift in the fan base. I do not believe for one second the attitudes are the same this year with Pelini. Bo backers are pretty damned few and far between. When many of the former greats are openly calling for changes on social media....