The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

I think you'd have to start an offer to Frost substantially higher than 1 mil. I believe Oregon would pay more than that just to keep him.

That said, I am not sure he's ready anyway.

I do agree though. We need top-flight coordinators, and we need to lead the way in the B1G paying coordinators better money to keep them around.

I think you'd have to start an offer to Frost substantially higher than 1 mil. I believe Oregon would pay more than that just to keep him.

That said, I am not sure he's ready anyway.

I do agree though. We need top-flight coordinators, and we need to lead the way in the B1G paying coordinators better money to keep them around.

$1 million would probably get a counter offer from Oregon. Frost is making $367,584 now, so $1 million is a nice raise, along with a nice promotion.

I still say Mark Richt. Maybe Georgia lets him go and we snag him

I love how I mentioned this after the UCLA debacle, and certain posters thought I was snorting heroin off of Baby Jesus' back or something. Not you, HFT...but it's amusing how many folks now think this will work now, as opposed to right after the UCLA game. ;)

BTW, Richt is Nebraska's best option, IMO, that would satisfy the Blue Hairs and Boosters that need a 'Nebraska man', as Richt is an Omaha native and has openly admitted to being a fan of the program. And Richt is a proven quality coach in a bad situation in Georgia right now--like Reid, he may want a change of scenery...and a simpler route to a BCS bowl and conference titles wouldn't hurt, either. And looking at what Richt runs, I believe he could come in, day one, and utilize most of our talent w/o any problems or transition concerns.

If Bo is gone, we should go after Richt--we have the cash, we have the facilities and program, and we can build a recruiting staff to help overcome the difficulties he may see versus recruiting in and for Georgia. Not saying it will be easy or overcome all obstacles, but we could surmount a majority of the ones brought up time and again re: Nebraska recruiting, and Richt could be very successful at DoNU.

• Fire 2

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

So what is he doing to take us to the next level and when is that going to start?

He sat VV today in favor of TR. He also play a QB with broken toes when two healthy backups were available. :bang

Curry started instead of Valentine today. I completely agree about the quarterback position. My point is Pelini is recruiting kids with better physical abilities for their positions.

If I could FORCE one change, like if I had the actual power to do so, I would hire a new, accomplished D coordinator (with real autonomy) and revamp the strength, conditioning and nutrition programs. ASAP.

You mean, someone like..... Bo Pelini maybe? Maybe we can get him as a D coordinator. That would be sweet. He's won championships.

Here's the bottom line.

Nebraska will *never* get an upper echelon coach that is available. There isn't even any around. And even if they were available they would *never* come to a program that fires coaches with winning records. Sorry, just isn't happening. I'm not supporting Bo. Far from it, I saw a view on the sideline on TV that basically showed me that no one on this coaching staff has one damn clue as to what the hell is going on. But time to face the facts...Nebraska will either have to hire an upper-tier lower conference team coach, or a successful assistant at a top-notch program. Regardless, it's about 3-4 more years of rebuilding. I'm guessing it's going to happen, but man...if this is what it's coming down to...it's going to be a worse mess than what we saw in Minneapolis.

Not really big on taking Georgia's cast-off.

Shaw is Stanford to the bone, he isn't going anywhere

Don't see Peterson leaving Boise at least as long as his kid's health is an issue. Plus I'm not sure if really cares about climbing the coaching ladder.

Smart is worth a look. Might be waiting for Saban to leave though. Out of coordinators he's probably the most qualified and he likely has very good recruiting ties.

I like Frost's energy and he understands the offense type we've been trying to run. He also bleeds husker red. But he inherited a well-tuned machine and has offensive input from Helfrich. Big difference between that and taking over a whole program on your own. He should get a look but doesn't top my list

Even if not for other issues Tressel is approaching retirement age. I'd prefer a guy seen as a long term solution.

With Miami having a good year and the NCAA letting them off with a slap on the wrist I don't see Golden leaving the canes

I don't really follow pro ball much anymore but with the way salaries are going up I think a fair amount of coordinators would considera a college HC job.

I say go for Tim DeRuyter from Fresno.

Here's the bottom line.

Nebraska will *never* get an upper echelon coach that is available. There isn't even any around. And even if they were available they would *never* come to a program that fires coaches with winning records. Sorry, just isn't happening. I'm not supporting Bo. Far from it, I saw a view on the sideline on TV that basically showed me that no one on this coaching staff has one damn clue as to what the hell is going on. But time to face the facts...Nebraska will either have to hire an upper-tier lower conference team coach, or a successful assistant at a top-notch program. Regardless, it's about 3-4 more years of rebuilding. I'm guessing it's going to happen, but man...if this is what it's coming down to...it's going to be a worse mess than what we saw in Minneapolis.

I am not so sure it would take 3-4 years with the right staff. I think we have athletes. They are just not being coached up. As for "only" being able to get an upper tier/lower conference coach, there have been a lot of successful coaches that have come from those ranks....currently, Gary Pinkel is having fantastic success at Misery. I have to say, I am pretty intrigued by the Frost love. Only one year as coordinator, but I believe the Ducks are the only team ever to open a season scoring at least 45 points in it's first 6 games (think I heard that on TV on Sportscenter). I would say he is doing a pretty good job, and at least worthy of a long look.

We're obviously not going to get any better with him as our HC so its time to move on. Bunch of you dummies kept defending him for reasons I cant explain, its time to cut ties and try something new because this is obviously not working.

We've been doing that every 6 years since Osborne's retirement. How's that working for us?

Quit letting Osborne pick bad coaches?

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

Performing in the W/L column? When you list the teams directly under the W's and L's, it becomes scary at just how bad this staff is. Antone that listened to Pelini @ half and his Presser and still want him as a coach................. wow