The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

So what is he doing to take us to the next level and when is that going to start?

I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but two of them start on the defensive line now. We have seen improvement, but there will be inconsistency due to youth. Because of injuries and redshirt decisions, we had a very undersized DL last season......which was a contributing factor to the blowout losses. We needed to get more athletic at defensive end. We have done so. I also think having more consistency at quarterback vs high risk/high reward is going to be beneficial next season.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

What personnel changes is he making to take the program to the "next level"? What makes you think the program's trend line over the last 3 years isn't flat or a little down?

It is flat or down. In another thread there was a lengthy discussion about this. Conference change played a part in how we had to change recruiting. Our DL is not longer as undersized as it was. We have speed at LB now. But in both instances, and others, the talent needs time to both mature and gel.

Candidates to interview:

David Shaw

Chris Petersen

Pep Hamilton

Gary Patterson

Charlie Strong

Mark Richt

Greg Roman

Scott Frost

Kirby Smart

Bronco Mendenhall

Art Briles

Steve Sarkesian

Darkhorse Plan B if all else fails (Jim Tressel)

I personally don't think Al Golden or James Franklin are the answer.

Candidates to interview:

David Shaw

Chris Petersen

Pep Hamilton

Gary Patterson

Charlie Strong

Mark Richt

Greg Roman

Scott Frost

Kirby Smart

Bronco Mendenhall

Art Briles

Steve Sarkesian

Darkhorse Plan B if all else fails (Jim Tressel)

I personally don't think Al Golden or James Franklin are the answer.

Got it.

Now, where did I leave my Rolodex?

We were a laughing stock then, and we're still a laughing stock. On a national level, Bo has never shed his label of being a hothead who can't win the big game.

Pelini being a hot head is simply ESPN trying to get you to stay on their channel. Pelini's passion was one of the key reasons he was hired and he has matured well in that area. Perhaps we haven't shed the laughing stock label but if it started with the coaching changes from ten years ago it's not on Pelini.

If I could FORCE one change, like if I had the actual power to do so, I would hire a new, accomplished D coordinator (with real autonomy) and revamp the strength, conditioning and nutrition programs. ASAP.

I love you, but I believe that's two changes.

I'm old. I get a little room for error, senior moments and all, you know!

I think Bo will keep his job, that said no one has said Mike Riley would be an upgrade for him but can we get him away from Corvallis.

I like EZ's suggestion of Kirby Smart or maybe Jim Tressel

Oh please no. As a lifelong Charger fan I didn't want to hear that name. I know he is doing good things up at Oregon St. but this guy will fold when the bright lights are on him. He's a good fit at a school like Oregon St.

It's hard for me to engage in this conversation. And equally hard NOT to.

Osborne was nearly run out of town in 79', and blah blah, you know the rest.

"Osborne has done OKAY-----BUT he is certainly NO Devaney . . . "

I don't want that mistake to happen, as it very clearly could have back then. I, too, want to see our team doing better, especially with the blowouts. We played terrible today, too.

BUT, I am still of the mind to give Bo two more years. I like what I see coming up in our young guys. If he can't get it done with Armstrong, Cross, and the other VERY talented young guys by the time they are hitting their junior or senior years, I am all for moving on.

I long for the days of old, when a coach, if promising and winning MOST of the games, got the better part of ten years or a tad longer to really show some serious progress. Maybe I have rainbow colored glasses and a poor memory, though.

The timeline for Pelini keeps changing. This year, 2013, has been the one circled as The Year since the schedule was announced. Soft crossover games, and only 2 road trips that moved the needle at all, Mich and PSU, and one being crippled by sanctions. Fourth year starter at QB, deepest receiving corps ever at the school. No, no more time.

This is not like 1979. This is not a coach who cant get past one nemesis who just happened to be a football superpower. Its continual embarrassments on national TV. Losing to Minnesota, and getting pushed around the the process. This is about a team using a plan devised from one of the worst failures in program history, and the 'defensive guru' not having an answer to the question. A question that you would think he wouldnt be able to stop thinking about. This is about having at least one game a year where the team looks completely unprepared and unfocused. This is about a coach who looks lost and confused during postgames,one who has no answers. One who needs to be shown the door.

I don't think TO was ever ranked outside the top 20 at the end of the year, and he made the top 10 a couple of times.

Osborne took over a team that had won back to back national championships.

Out of context. I was replying to a post about people wanting to run TO out of town. My post distinguished an important difference between Bo and TO.

Doesn't Tressel still have the no-approach clause?

Would have to be worked through. We could hire Frost for a 3 year contract and if it doesn't work out then Tressel and others would be available in 2017. I would make Shaw a $4-$5 million dollar man. I think his salary is currently $2.5 million. I like what Stanford does on the OL, TE's, and running game...sound defense too. Who would do this deal? Shaw for $4-$5 milliion? Peterson is at $1.7 million. I would offer him $4 million. We need to pull a serious hire showing we are here to win championships.

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

So what is he doing to take us to the next level and when is that going to start?

He sat VV today in favor of TR. He also play a QB with broken toes when two healthy backups were available. :bang

Doesn't Tressel still have the no-approach clause?

Would have to be worked through. We could hire Frost for a 3 year contract and if it doesn't work out then Tressel and others would be available in 2017. I would make Shaw a $4-$5 million dollar man. I think his salary is currently $2.5 million. I like what Stanford does on the OL, TE's, and running game...sound defense too. Who would do this deal? Shaw for $4-$5 milliion? Peterson is at $1.7 million. I would offer him $4 million. We need to pull a serious hire showing we are here to win championships.

I agree that we need to spend to get results. For the Frost backers. What about a base of $1 million with a $1 million bonus for a Conference Championship (or BCS bowl) and a $1 million bonus for a BCS bowl victory. Provide at least $1 million for each coordinator. IMHO, Frost would benefit greatly from experienced coordinators.