The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

I still say Mark Richt. Maybe Georgia lets him go and we snag him

Love this.

Again, I ask why?

Richt, Petrino, Petersen, insert any other head coach with a ton of experience that can't get it done. Nebraska fans want championships. I don't think any of these guys can get them here either. And the coaches who are getting them aren't coming to Nebraska. I'm sorry, but I'd rather take a chance on a promising young coach in charge of one of the best offenses in college football over a coach with experience who I know can't get it done.

Richt is a proven HC who has appeared in more conference championships and won more at an SEC school than Pelini and Frost combined. Ideally, we should go after a proven winning HC at a program who would view the job at NU as a promotion with the prestige and tradition we offer.

I guess I see Richt as a winner. He is a great play caller, solid recruiter, and has shown he can hang with the rest of the best. Sure, he doesn't have a NC title, but none of the coaches mentioned here as well as Bo himself have that claim either. Why not go after a coach that has shown the ability to win games and recruit, year after year?

We do need a HC who is passionate about recruiting instead of leaving it all up to his assistants and assuming the title of a "Closer."

Exactly my point...

Love this.

Again, I ask why?

Richt, Petrino, Petersen, insert any other head coach with a ton of experience that can't get it done. Nebraska fans want championships. I don't think any of these guys can get them here either. And the coaches who are getting them aren't coming to Nebraska. I'm sorry, but I'd rather take a chance on a promising young coach in charge of one of the best offenses in college football over a coach with experience who I know can't get it done.

Richt is a proven HC who has appeared in more conference championships and won more at an SEC school than Pelini and Frost combined. Ideally, we should go after a proven winning HC at a program who would view the job at NU as a promotion with the prestige and tradition we offer.

I guess I see Richt as a winner. He is a great play caller, solid recruiter, and has shown he can hang with the rest of the best. Sure, he doesn't have a NC title, but none of the coaches mentioned here as well as Bo himself have that claim either. Why not go after a coach that has shown the ability to win games and recruit, year after year?

We do need a HC who is passionate about recruiting instead of leaving it all up to his assistants and assuming the title of a "Closer."

Head coaches can only have one in-home visit with each recruit. While asst. coaches get unlimited amount, I believe. That's why hes a closer, not because he doesn't care

Unbelievable. You don't think we were out coached today? I'm sorry but you have your head so far up Bo Pelini's ass your nose hair is tickling his tonsils.

I would agree with EZ-E's point. We were not out coached today. The number of tackle opportunities missed by Santos and Z Anderson today for example was staggering. And on offense, I have zero faith in our ability to convert a 3rd down with Martinez under center.

Well many sports reporters, former player, and former coaches on air and online disagree. Sam Mckewon, whom most respect his opinion, used those exact words in his video review.

As a coach I can say this...if you have to constantly blame the execution over and over again year after year, you're teaching methods are failing.

Many of the former players are talking about attitude, which I would agree with. Pelini has talked about that the past few weeks. I very much respect McKeown's opinion and quite often agree with him. As far as former coaches on air and online......there could be a reason why the word former preceeds the word coach when referring to many of them.

Richt would be an interesting hire, no doubt. He would need to finish 5-7 or 6-6 this year and would NU want to hire a coach that got fired for a record like that?

Two words

Andy Reid.

Sometimes it just takes a change of scenery.

Georgia's having an underwhelming year. Maybe Richt would be willing for a changeup and is a little burned out in Athens. I'd entertain the idea.

I'm a diehard Chiefs fan and what Reid has done is remarkable! But this isn't the NFL... I'm not saying Richt wouldn't be a bad hire but how many CFB programs have hired CFB HC's who the previous year had a losing record or didn't finish on a high note?

Me and you both pal.

But here's the deal. KC caugh lightening in a bottle with Reid, and Alex Smith for that matter. Two guys who definitely feel like they were wronged at their previous jobs. Reid had his gm responsibilities taken away, and was then handed a bunch of soft, finesse talent to work with that didnt fit his system. He began to struggle, and was ran out of town. Then Alex Smith. Finally gets a competent coach, leads his team to the NFC title game, then the next year, is having another good year, gets hurt, and never gets another look again. There's a lot of motivation bottled up here.

The point I'm making is, if Georgia lets Richt go becuase he had one bad year because he was trotting out a MASH unit every week, you can bet your ass the next team to buy his services will be getting a hell of a deal. And I'll take his well-established southeast recruiting connections anyday. Again, this option is entertainable if it comes to this. At least it's a logical choice instead of guys throwin out names like Chip Kelly and John Gruden.

Bronco Mendenhall deserves a serious look right now. He can coach. He favors a running offense and an attacking D. Just look at his record at BYU. You know what? It's not every guys dream to coach at their alma mater when their alma mater can't match dollar for dollar against a program like Nebraska.

Will not come to NU.

Show me a link or source that says he wouldn't because last time I checked, money talks.

http://en.wikipedia....onco_Mendenhall

You can find it starting at "Bronco Mendenhall is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints....."

BYU is his dream job and it is a job that comes without the pressures of a place like Nebraska. He isn't going anywhere.

Is that a clause in his contract? Cause if so, then I'll agree with you.

See Flood's post.

I will also say that I know countless Mormons. In fact I was just up in SLC two falls ago visiting friends and watching HS soccer.

I didn't know you guys were official spokesmen for Mormons that is pretty cool.

We just apply basic logic. Which is something you are incapable of.

In the case of Richt...it's going to be a lot easier to recruit kids from the south who want to play in the SEC near their family and against other kids from the south. It doesn't necessarily mean his recruiting ties are going to start filling the roster up with SEC caliber recruits from the south in Lincoln. I remember everyone thought Pelini would use his ties from his days at LSU and it hasn't quite worked out like that.

Love this.

Again, I ask why?

Head coaches can only have one in-home visit with each recruit. While asst. coaches get unlimited amount, I believe. That's why hes a closer, not because he doesn't care

He doesn't enjoy recruiting though. That isn't a secret.

i would think that as an a.d., any a.d., would want to hire someone that he is comfortable with and has had a previous relationship with.

eichorst has hired al golden at miami and worked with paul chyrst at pitt right now. both have roots in the big 10.

i would think that each of them would be getting a call if it goes that far.

one thing that i have been wondering about is not so much if bo gets fired but i would not be surprised if bo is not

actively looking for another job.

Who would hire Bo? Every ESPN game is a joke. Never had a season without 4 losses. Curses at the fan base.

Bronco Mendenhall deserves a serious look right now. He can coach. He favors a running offense and an attacking D. Just look at his record at BYU. You know what? It's not every guys dream to coach at their alma mater when their alma mater can't match dollar for dollar against a program like Nebraska.

Will not come to NU.

Show me a link or source that says he wouldn't because last time I checked, money talks.

http://en.wikipedia....onco_Mendenhall

You can find it starting at "Bronco Mendenhall is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints....."

BYU is his dream job and it is a job that comes without the pressures of a place like Nebraska. He isn't going anywhere.

Is that a clause in his contract? Cause if so, then I'll agree with you.

See Flood's post.

I will also say that I know countless Mormons. In fact I was just up in SLC two falls ago visiting friends and watching HS soccer.

I didn't know you guys were official spokesmen for Mormons that is pretty cool.

We just apply basic logic. Which is something you are incapable of.

So you speak for mormons and know what I am capable of, too. Incredible :)

i would think that as an a.d., any a.d., would want to hire someone that he is comfortable with and has had a previous relationship with.

eichorst has hired al golden at miami and worked with paul chyrst at pitt right now. both have roots in the big 10.

one thing that i have been wondering about is not so much if bo gets fired but i would not be surprised if bo is not

Who would hire Bo? Every ESPN game is a joke. Never had a season without 4 losses. Curses at the fan base.

There's always the NFL. He could go back to coaching LB's...

An NFL team would love to have him as a position coach I am sure. Where he always has talent and can lose 4 a year and still be in it he could be great.

Unbelievable. You don't think we were out coached today? I'm sorry but you have your head so far up Bo Pelini's ass your nose hair is tickling his tonsils.

I would agree with EZ-E's point. We were not out coached today. The number of tackle opportunities missed by Santos and Z Anderson today for example was staggering. And on offense, I have zero faith in our ability to convert a 3rd down with Martinez under center.

Well many sports reporters, former player, and former coaches on air and online disagree. Sam Mckewon, whom most respect his opinion, used those exact words in his video review.

As a coach I can say this...if you have to constantly blame the execution over and over again year after year, you're teaching methods are failing.

:clap

There's always the NFL. He could go back to coaching LB's...

Good point. But maybe they wouldn't want him after watching the LBs at NU?

If it comes to this, my guess is that Lembo and Frost would bear watching. It's hard to say at this point. I seriously doubt Harvey would be on board with bringing in one of the coaches with well known baggage. And a lot of the other names being thrown around range between unlikely and just silly.