The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

I'm sticking with Bo. If I didn't care I wouldn't criticize him so much. He's a regular working guy like most of us and I think that's what made us originally want to bring him in.

I suppose a debate will start over whether you want a regular guy like us or one of those mystical Jedi coaches like Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, or Urban Meyer....the kind of coaches who can get women to have sex with them WITH THEIR MIND or balance things on their nose. I think Saban is probably like Obi-wan Kenobi,.......Kelly would be Yoda.....and Urban Meyer is Anakin Skywalker before he went over to the dark side, I guess.

I'm curious what Scott Frost would say about coaching here? Guessing he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...but who knows, anyone ever ask Frosty about it?

Kirby Smart would be my pick. I don't want there to be any change at this point and I am still optimistic that Bo works it out. Too many great things happening off the field for me to support any type of knee-jerk decision at this point. I hate the rebuilding period of any program when expectations are very low. My expectation for this program would rival any of your's. I desperately want our current staff to figure this out.

Right now, I feel that the conference title is must win for Bo.

If Martinez is as lame as he was today in the running game, and we win 9-10 games with as young as we are, it will save him. I am not taking any side as to me wanting anyone fired, I feel it is reality as any boss would have to understand the circumstances. Your star senior QB gets hurt before conference play and isn't the same and you are playing the majority of freshman football players on defense. Any reasonable boss would have to understand.

No way NU wins 10 games. 9 at best. If you can't beat minny, there's very small chance we beat Michigan in the big house. Or MSU and there top 5 D at home. Heck even Iowa looks it could be tough now.

I'm saying NU wins 8 games this year.

Since a lot of NU fans enjoy using history as an argument for a lot of things to support their arguments, we had an absolutely embarassing loss to ISU in 09 and we rebounded to play for the conference title. It is not out of the question as I believe that there is only one undefeated team in league and we have them at home this year.

This game in no way looks or feels like that ISU game. To even suggest that is Bo homer ism at its peak. I seem to recall a record amount of turnovers in that game, not the inability to stop the same damn play (jet sweep action) that Wisconsin killed us on in LAST YEAR'S CCG.

You don't feel like we just lost to a team half as talented as us because we completely lost focus?

If we hire a man that's defensive scheme is literally as effective as me standing on train tracks, putting my hand up to signal it to stop, and trying to hold my ground; I will be very upset. Next.

Who should we hire, EZ-E? Or do we keep Bo?

We hire EZ-E for $100,000 per year, and give him $2 million per year for OC and $2 million per year for DC, along with fat paychecks for the rest of the assistants.

Miami barely won AT HOME against Wake Forest today. And they have been nearly exposed prior to that, this season.

Golden may be a great coach, and I know they are hobbled a little, but only a little, by self-imposed penalties. I'd like to see more out of Al Golden before he is in this conversation.

I know we don't have that luxury, but oh well.

What REALLY stinks is that we are likely looking for the best HC in the nation at the same time as (at least) USC, probably Texas, and who knows what other teams will be added to that list before the end of the year.

This could get really rough, and if our choices were to keep Bo for a year or two, or end up changing THIS year, but only get the fourth or fifth best HC in the nation, I would MUCH rather wait. And who knows, maybe Bo pulls it out finally, next year. There are a LOT of promising signs, in spite of the HUGE negatives that overshadow much of the good.

At the end of last season I wanted Bo to stay, but i wanted him to replace some coaches, especially the DC. Now it is too late. It is time for Bo to go.

Why is it too late now? What changed? Did you think that the defensive woes were attributed to somebody else earlier but that this changes things? I'm interested...I'm not making fun of the idea, I'm curious to the reasoning.

Part of it is the tape, and part of it is the passage of time. If Bo makes a change after last year it looks like he recognizes a problem and deals with it. Now it appears (to me anyway) that Bo is forced to make a change against his will just to save his job. He has stuck with the D scheme and the staff too long for me to believe he is a competent leader. Still, I dread the disruption a coaching change causes.

Scott Frost. I want someone who wants to be here. I don't care that he doesn't have HC experience.

I am glad then that you are not on the hiring committee. To not hire an experienced and proven, successful, head coach would be ridiculously foolish.

I think Frost could work. NU could get Frost for half the salary Pelini is paid, and use the money to get Frost, experienced and proven coordinators. Bo was inexperienced, and he compounded the problem by hiring an even less experienced staff.

• Fire 1

You don't feel like we just lost to a team half as talented as us because we completely lost focus?

That might be part of it, seems to be the one on field consistency we have under Pelini. We beat ourselves because we are undisciplined and consistently don't put our players in position to execute.

It was mostly that we were out coached today, again. By an interim coach. Using a game plan from a year ago that with equal talent beat us by 40. Which I am sure you blamed on not being focused. Your tired act has run its course, along with Pelini's tenure here. Sorry, I am not accepting this any longer.

It is irresponsible for Eichorst to not put feelers out there to see who would be interested in being the next head football coach of The University of Nebraska.

Kirby Smart would be my pick. I don't want there to be any change at this point and I am still optimistic that Bo works it out. Too many great things happening off the field for me to support any type of knee-jerk decision at this point. I hate the rebuilding period of any program when expectations are very low. My expectation for this program would rival any of your's. I desperately want our current staff to figure this out.

Right now, I feel that the conference title is must win for Bo.

If Martinez is as lame as he was today in the running game, and we win 9-10 games with as young as we are, it will save him. I am not taking any side as to me wanting anyone fired, I feel it is reality as any boss would have to understand the circumstances. Your star senior QB gets hurt before conference play and isn't the same and you are playing the majority of freshman football players on defense. Any reasonable boss would have to understand.

No way NU wins 10 games. 9 at best. If you can't beat minny, there's very small chance we beat Michigan in the big house. Or MSU and there top 5 D at home. Heck even Iowa looks it could be tough now.

I'm saying NU wins 8 games this year.

Since a lot of NU fans enjoy using history as an argument for a lot of things to support their arguments, we had an absolutely embarassing loss to ISU in 09 and we rebounded to play for the conference title. It is not out of the question as I believe that there is only one undefeated team in league and we have them at home this year.

Today was different. NU had 9 turnovers against ISU and barely lost. Our D was embarrassed today by a coach who refused to make adjustments.

Today was the first time I felt calm and convicted concerning the notion that Pelini needs to he gone. No anger or hostility. Just acceptance. Our kids look confused out there on defense. And when things start going bad...they instantly seem to get worse. This IMO reflects the staff. There are a million different people who could tell you schematically what the issues are...but I'll just keep it simple and say this...Minnesota's game plan was not to score 30+. They linede up in the Maryland I or 3 TE power sets all day and all but announced what they were going to do. And we couldn't stop it. Santos looks like he has no idea where he's supposed to be on any given play. I'm not angry. Just disappointed and realize its time to fold em and re deal.

Good news is that we're not debating firing coaches amid an ugly scandal or an ethics clause. Just simple non performance.

I know the tendency is to go the complete opposite way with the next hire....first time-defensive minded head coach...then lets get an experienced offensive minded guy in here

I like Frost. The guy is an up and comer and while Bo was a 'Nebraska type of guy'...Frost IS a Nebraska guy. He needs to hire an experienced staff to help him be successful, but that's the best option IMO

+1

I'm sticking with Bo. If I didn't care I wouldn't criticize him so much. He's a regular working guy like most of us and I think that's what made us originally want to bring him in.

I suppose a debate will start over whether you want a regular guy like us or one of those mystical Jedi coaches like Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, or Urban Meyer....the kind of coaches who can get women to have sex with them WITH THEIR MIND or balance things on their nose. I think Saban is probably like Obi-wan Kenobi,.......Kelly would be Yoda.....and Urban Meyer is Anakin Skywalker before he went over to the dark side, I guess.

I'm curious what Scott Frost would say about coaching here? Guessing he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...but who knows, anyone ever ask Frosty about it?

Except he makes 8K a day in his job. Not exactly my definition of regular working guy.

That might be part of it, seems to be the one on field consistency we have under Pelini. We beat ourselves because we are undisciplined and consistently don't put our players in position to execute.

It was mostly that we were out coached today, again. By an interim coach. Using a game plan from a year ago that with equal talent beat us by 40. Which I am sure you blamed on not being focused. Your tired act has run its course, along with Pelini's tenure here. Sorry, I am not accepting this any longer.

It is irresponsible for Eichorst to not put feelers out there to see who would be interested in being the next head football coach of The University of Nebraska.

I believe that you can go back to the previous two weeks of me saying that this is an offense to watch and it traditionally give us trouble.

I will absolutely disagree with you about being "out-coached." Too may times is the answer to every single loss in Husker history that we need to: 1) Fire the Head Coach

2) Bench our QB 3) Play-Calling sucked 4) We are sh**ty at recruiting.

While I saw many things on offense and defense that alarmed me today more than anything, I also saw players 1) Drop balls in the endzone 2) Fumble the football on our side of the 50 3) Miss their run fit assignment 4) Get out-ran by a TE 5) A specific DT get his d*** knocked

Yes, we lost focus. I didn't specifically put that on one person other than the ones that were utterly dreadful today. There isn't a single person associated with Husker football that should be proud of what happened today.

The answer to every loss isnt the things listed above. We forget a lot of times that we are dealing with kids between 18-23. While I am not blaming the players specifically, there is only so much that coaches can do. Vis versa. There are only certain things that players can do. Like Beck calling three straight passing plays in the 3rd quarter because he panicked. One of many examples.

Bronco Mendenhall deserves a serious look right now. He can coach. He favors a running offense and an attacking D. Just look at his record at BYU. You know what? It's not every guys dream to coach at their alma mater when their alma mater can't match dollar for dollar against a program like Nebraska.

Will not come to NU.