The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

here is a comparison between Dr Tom and Scott Frost's experience before being hired as head coach:

Tom Osborne's Coaching experience according to Huskers.com:

1967-1971 Assistant Football Coach (probably Offensive Coordinator) - Nebraska

1972 Assistant Head Football Coach (the only reason he was not HC in 1972 is because he talked Bob Devany into trying for 3rd straight NC) - Nebraska

Scott Frost's Coaching experience:

2007 Linbacker Coach - Northern Iowa University

2008 Co-Defensive Coordinator - Northern Iowa University

2009-2012 Wide Recievers Coach - Oregon

2013 Offensive Coordinator

Dr Tom had only 5 years of coaching experience before being hired as NU's HC and he turned out to be pretty damn good. People talk about taking Scott Frost's name off of his resume and there would be no way in hell that Scott would be hired as NU's HC.

Tom Osborne's resume in 1973 was less impressive but look at the results.

If Bo Pelini leaves at the end of the season, why not give the job to Frost?

Young up and coming coach with swagger, I honestly don't understand why people have such a big issue with Frost. People that have a problem with his attitude need to realize that some of the best coaches in the country come off as jerks *ahem Saban. And to boot he has Nebraska roots. He's my personal favorite for the position.

You are comparing a man that was an OC for 5 seasons and then learned as a "Head Coach in Waiting" for a year under a man that build this house from nothing to a guy who doesnt even have a year as a coordinator in a big time program???????? Come on man. You are better than that. I think.

Just give me a good football coach. One who will get the most out of his players and also someone who can recruit but also recruit based on the type of person he is. I'm not so much concerned with getting a 'well known' guy as I am getting someone who is an up and coming good coach or who already is one. Definitely a players coach. I definitely want that.

It's all up to the administration if they have the guts to get rid of Bo now (at season's end) but also if they have the wherewithal to actually find and get this program 'that guy'. The idea of them f'ing it up and getting the wrong guy is a scary one but if you're going to get better then you've got to take chances. It's time to take the leap.

I still am curious how good a fit Craig Bohl would be.

If we hire a guy who was inferior in every way to Bo Pelini back in 2001 I will be very unhappy. Next.

i want butch davis

You want a known cheater? I don't.

I would take him in a heart beat. He can build a program, recruit with the best of them, and win a championship

Where did he win a championship???????

Where did he build a program that he didn't cheat to build???

A cheater is something I don't want here. Sorry.

He won the Big East in 95, 96, and 01. Not to mention that the Canes from that '01 team formed that National Championship team that some think rivals the '95 skers.

Not to mention he was coaching on the Cowboys team that won a Super Bowl, and I believe he was DC is one of those Super Bowls.

The man is good, put some oversight on him he'll bring us a championship

Interesting? I thought Coker was the coach at Miami in '01 when Butch was with the Cleveland Browns.

my bad 2000 'canes

Kirby Smart would be my pick. I don't want there to be any change at this point and I am still optimistic that Bo works it out. Too many great things happening off the field for me to support any type of knee-jerk decision at this point. I hate the rebuilding period of any program when expectations are very low. My expectation for this program would rival any of your's. I desperately want our current staff to figure this out.

Right now, I feel that the conference title is must win for Bo.

If Martinez is as lame as he was today in the running game, and we win 9-10 games with as young as we are, it will save him. I am not taking any side as to me wanting anyone fired, I feel it is reality as any boss would have to understand the circumstances. Your star senior QB gets hurt before conference play and isn't the same and you are playing the majority of freshman football players on defense. Any reasonable boss would have to understand.

No way NU wins 10 games. 9 at best. If you can't beat minny, there's very small chance we beat Michigan in the big house. Or MSU and there top 5 D at home. Heck even Iowa looks it could be tough now.

I'm saying NU wins 8 games this year.

Whatever direction we go, whether we keep Bo or move on, I believe VERY strongly that we need to take a hard look at our strength and conditioning program.

Our guys looked just plain worn out, and were getting pounded back off the line--early in the game.

I know we were early pioneers in this field and in nutrition, and that parity is making things much closer, but it is obvious something is terribly wrong in those parts of our program. And has been obvious for several seasons.

Carry on with the important stuff. This was just a glaring issue that I wanted to mention.

This!!

Kirby Smart would be my pick. I don't want there to be any change at this point and I am still optimistic that Bo works it out. Too many great things happening off the field for me to support any type of knee-jerk decision at this point. I hate the rebuilding period of any program when expectations are very low. My expectation for this program would rival any of your's. I desperately want our current staff to figure this out.

If Martinez is as lame as he was today in the running game, and we win 9-10 games with as young as we are, it will save him. I am not taking any side as to me wanting anyone fired, I feel it is reality as any boss would have to understand the circumstances. Your star senior QB gets hurt before conference play and isn't the same and you are playing the majority of freshman football players on defense. Any reasonable boss would have to understand.

No way NU wins 10 games. 9 at best. If you can't beat minny, there's very small chance we beat Michigan in the big house. Or MSU and there top 5 D at home. Heck even Iowa looks it could be tough now.

Since a lot of NU fans enjoy using history as an argument for a lot of things to support their arguments, we had an absolutely embarassing loss to ISU in 09 and we rebounded to play for the conference title. It is not out of the question as I believe that there is only one undefeated team in league and we have them at home this year.

Today was the first time I felt calm and convicted concerning the notion that Pelini needs to he gone. No anger or hostility. Just acceptance. Our kids look confused out there on defense. And when things start going bad...they instantly seem to get worse. This IMO reflects the staff. There are a million different people who could tell you schematically what the issues are...but I'll just keep it simple and say this...Minnesota's game plan was not to score 30+. They linede up in the Maryland I or 3 TE power sets all day and all but announced what they were going to do. And we couldn't stop it. Santos looks like he has no idea where he's supposed to be on any given play. I'm not angry. Just disappointed and realize its time to fold em and re deal.

Good news is that we're not debating firing coaches amid an ugly scandal or an ethics clause. Just simple non performance.

I know the tendency is to go the complete opposite way with the next hire....first time-defensive minded head coach...then lets get an experienced offensive minded guy in here

I like Frost. The guy is an up and comer and while Bo was a 'Nebraska type of guy'...Frost IS a Nebraska guy. He needs to hire an experienced staff to help him be successful, but that's the best option IMO

• Fire 2

here is a comparison between Dr Tom and Scott Frost's experience before being hired as head coach:

1972 Assistant Head Football Coach (the only reason he was not HC in 1972 is because he talked Bob Devany into trying for 3rd straight NC) - Nebraska

Dr Tom had only 5 years of coaching experience before being hired as NU's HC and he turned out to be pretty damn good. People talk about taking Scott Frost's name off of his resume and there would be no way in hell that Scott would be hired as NU's HC.

Young up and coming coach with swagger, I honestly don't understand why people have such a big issue with Frost. People that have a problem with his attitude need to realize that some of the best coaches in the country come off as jerks *ahem Saban. And to boot he has Nebraska roots. He's my personal favorite for the position.

You are comparing a man that was an OC for 5 seasons and then learned as a "Head Coach in Waiting" for a year under a man that build this house from nothing to a guy who doesnt even have a year as a coordinator in a big time program???????? Come on man. You are better than that. I think.

I'm not on the Frost bandwagon, but I'm also not quite ready to go out and say absolutely not. Just going to point out a few tidbits that might make it not the worst idea.

The coaches he has played, or coached under is amazing. TO, Parcells, Bill Walsh, Bill Snyder, to lesser extent Chip Kelly.

He has now been both a OC and a Co-DC, which gives one hell of a perspective.

The success (so far) of Kingsbury at TT, with almost even less of a resume.

I'm not saying he's 'the guy' I'm also not saying he might not be. There are much, much worse ideas being tossed in this thread

Since a lot of NU fans enjoy using history as an argument for a lot of things to support their arguments, we had an absolutely embarassing loss to ISU in 09 and we rebounded to play for the conference title. It is not out of the question as I believe that there is only one undefeated team in league and we have them at home this year.

ISU in 09 and this loss to Minn are not the same. VS ISU we had 8 turnovers, and lost without giving up a TD. Minn pushed us around like a bunch of scrubs.

This game in no way looks or feels like that ISU game. To even suggest that is Bo homer ism at its peak. I seem to recall a record amount of turnovers in that game, not the inability to stop the same damn play (jet sweep action) that Wisconsin killed us on in LAST YEAR'S CCG.

I'm not on the Frost bandwagon, but I'm also not quite ready to go out and say absolutely not. Just going to point out a few tidbits that might make it not the worst idea.

The coaches he has played, or coached under is amazing. TO, Parcells, Bill Walsh, Bill Snyder, to lesser extent Chip Kelly.

He has now been both a OC and a Co-DC, which gives one hell of a perspective.

The success (so far) of Kingsbury at TT, with almost even less of a resume.

I'm not saying he's 'the guy' I'm also not saying he might not be. There are much, much worse ideas being tossed in this thread

The low expectations at TT gives Kingsbury quite the long rope.

Frost was a DC at Northern Iowa. Who cares??

Bo has just as good a coaches that he either "played for" or "coached under." I don't see the arugment.

If a change is made and we hire Frost he wins 9 games his first year and there are no "growing pains" excuses. If he doesn't do that and win 9 or more games through 5 years he was a bad idea and worse than what we have now.