The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

Bronco Mendenhall deserves a serious look right now. He can coach. He favors a running offense and an attacking D. Just look at his record at BYU. You know what? It's not every guys dream to coach at their alma mater when their alma mater can't match dollar for dollar against a program like Nebraska.

Will not come to NU.

Show me a link or source that says he wouldn't because last time I checked, money talks.

Whatever direction we go, whether we keep Bo or move on, I believe VERY strongly that we need to take a hard look at our strength and conditioning program.

Our guys looked just plain worn out, and were getting pounded back off the line--early in the game.

I know we were early pioneers in this field and in nutrition, and that parity is making things much closer, but it is obvious something is terribly wrong in those parts of our program. And has been obvious for several seasons.

Carry on with the important stuff. This was just a glaring issue that I wanted to mention.

QFT!

Bronco Mendenhall deserves a serious look right now. He can coach. He favors a running offense and an attacking D. Just look at his record at BYU. You know what? It's not every guys dream to coach at their alma mater when their alma mater can't match dollar for dollar against a program like Nebraska.

Will not come to NU.

Oh. Well that's it then. No need or any reasons.

Will not come to NU.

Show me a link or source that says he wouldn't because last time I checked, money talks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronco_Mendenhall

You can find it starting at "Bronco Mendenhall is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints....."

BYU is his dream job and it is a job that comes without the pressures of a place like Nebraska. He isn't going anywhere.

Will not come to NU.

http://en.wikipedia....onco_Mendenhall

You can find it starting at "Bronco Mendenhall is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints....."

BYU is his dream job and it is a job that comes without the pressures of a place like Nebraska. He isn't going anywhere.

Is that a clause in his contract? Cause if so, then I'll agree with you.

post-340-12201768611.jpg

I have no clue who the next coach should or would be ... I just know that I am officially off the "Bo Bandwagon". I will not use the rest of the season or this board to make the point again and again. I'm just done with what I know is true verses what I'm told is true both by this coach and this board.

EZ-E is almost certainly correct. BYU is the Notre Dame of the Mormons. It is the most prestigious job a Mormon football coach could want.

And make no mistake. The Mormons ARE very wealthy. Incredibly so, as a church. First, no LDS coach (that I can imagine) would ever dare put their church in a bidding war over their coaching position. It would be an absolute outrage and insult to every other Mormon. Part of the job is taking a lesser (perhaps) salary than you might command elsewhere. The benefit is stability and the long, long leash.

Even if NU (or any school) went after Mendenhall, and BYU got wind of it or wanted to keep him, they would strike first with a raise and extension that would make it impossible.

I've known many LDS members, and they are just not like many other groups. They take loyalty to their church incredibly seriously, and I cannot imagine a scenario that leads to Bronco leaving unless it was mutual by both the coach and church. Or if the church made the decision, due to performance issues. But to imagine an LDS coach leaving for higher pay? Highly unlikely.

Will not come to NU.

http://en.wikipedia....onco_Mendenhall

Is that a clause in his contract? Cause if so, then I'll agree with you.

See Flood's post.

I will also say that I know countless Mormons. In fact I was just up in SLC two falls ago visiting friends and watching HS soccer.

EZ-E is almost certainly correct. BYU is the Notre Dame of the Mormons. It is the most prestigious job a Mormon football coach could want.

And make no mistake. The Mormons ARE very wealthy. Incredibly so, as a church. First, no LDS coach (that I can imagine) would ever dare put their church in a bidding war over their coaching position. It would be an absolute outrage and insult to every other Mormon. Part of the job is taking a lesser (perhaps) salary than you might command elsewhere. The benefit is stability and the long, long leash.

Even if NU (or any school) went after Mendenhall, and BYU got wind of it or wanted to keep him, they would strike first with a raise and extension that would make it impossible.

I've known many LDS members, and they are just not like many other groups. They take loyalty to their church incredibly seriously, and I cannot imagine a scenario that leads to Bronco leaving unless it was mutual by both the coach and church. Or if the church made the decision, due to performance issues. But to imagine an LDS coach leaving for higher pay? Highly unlikely.

Filthy rich more like it. They could out bid any school.

I'm sticking with Bo. If I didn't care I wouldn't criticize him so much. He's a regular working guy like most of us and I think that's what made us originally want to bring him in.

I suppose a debate will start over whether you want a regular guy like us or one of those mystical Jedi coaches like Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, or Urban Meyer....the kind of coaches who can get women to have sex with them WITH THEIR MIND or balance things on their nose. I think Saban is probably like Obi-wan Kenobi,.......Kelly would be Yoda.....and Urban Meyer is Anakin Skywalker before he went over to the dark side, I guess.

I'm curious what Scott Frost would say about coaching here? Guessing he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...but who knows, anyone ever ask Frosty about it?

Except he makes 8K a day in his job. Not exactly my definition of regular working guy.

Well yeah, he started out as one..... but besides the millions, I think he's still one of us.....more like Devaney than one of those mystical 3-dimensional-chess playing guys.