The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

ive been reading this thread for the last few days and ive come away kinda confused....

what i gather is for whatever reason or another nebraska could never find a (top notch) coach from the pro's, college, Division III etc.... that would be willing to come here and turn things around...... whats with this??

At least part of the problem is you're not asking a coach to come in here and turn things around. He should be able to come in and win 10 games his first year and not look back from there.

ive been reading this thread for the last few days and ive come away kinda confused....

what i gather is for whatever reason or another nebraska could never find a (top notch) coach from the pro's, college, Division III etc.... that would be willing to come here and turn things around...... whats with this??

At least part of the problem is you're not asking a coach to come in here and turn things around. He should be able to come in and win 10 games his first year and not look back from there.

We'd be happy with four close losses in the reg season to good teams if the team showed heart and didn't get pushed all over the field. Also, as long as those four losses didn't come with a hefty side of snide contempt for the fans and media.

^ Bingo.

We'd be happy with four close losses in the reg season to good teams if the team showed heart and didn't get pushed all over the field. Also, as long as those four losses didn't come with a hefty side of snide contempt for the fans and media.

I don't disagree. I also don't think there's many potential coaches excited about that in the job description at Nebraska when they can make the same coin elsewhere.

I call BS

If you wanna hit the reset button, we need to start by scrapping the notion that we need a Nebraska guy. This whole thing started with someone who was NOT a Nebraska guy-Bob Devaney. We need to find the next Devaney. That already-head-coach-at-a-lower-school-ready-to-move-up.

This. If we change coaches I think it will be an up-and-coming HC from outside the power conferences and I'd probably prefer that to a coordinator, even one with name recognition.

A lot of the names in this thread are pretty ridiculous but we're not on the search committee. Apparently no one here has read wish-list threads on other boards.

If you were the AD in 2007 and knew ahead of time what Bo would do here, would you pick him? Would you settle for "pretty good with the occasional soul-crushing defeat" for a chance with another coach?

Bo is circling failure in a rapidly decaying orbit. I hope the team shocks us and makes it to the Rose Bowl. But, if not, I hope Bo crashes and burns (or, you know, exits on amicable terms). What I fear is that we will limp to 8-4 and Bo will get another year to show what he has proven to be unable to do. Sometimes people plateau and more time isn't going to help.

Some people think that the program can't sustain another HC change. The only thing remaining from Osborne's tenure by the time Bo got here was the fan base and some residuary good will. There wouldn't be much of a continuity loss this time around. What the program can't sustain is the loss of interest that's been going on for the last couple years. Bo's record would be good enough at most schools but Nebraska *still* isn't most schools. It's not good enough keep people excited about where we're headed and ultimately won't be good enough to keep people in the seats.

I call BS

As do I

A new coach would have to turn things around. In case no one noticed, the defense is always out on the field, giving up tons of yards and big plays and touchdowns and points. They miss a lot of one arm tackles. The DLine does not put pressure on the QB. The defense does not look difficult to move the ball against. They do not play physical, aggressive and fast. They are stuck on their assignments and get pushed around. Meanwhile the offense goes through several ruts and fails to move the ball against equal opponents. Throw in the high amount of penalties, fumbles, interceptions. Even the punt returner has to fair catch the punt instead of trying to make a play. This team plays below average on the road. This team has often been challenged at home. And the coaching staff look chaotic on the sidelines when they are shouting and arguing with each other and the refs. Even at the players sometimes. So look no further than at the head coach. 5 out of 6 years. This team is 54-22 under Pelini. 71% winning, nearly 30% losing. 10 wins you say? Heck 6-7 wins a year are basically automatic with the talent and the cream puff scheduling. When the teams we play are equal or better, we lose more than we win. So toss out that 9 win bench mark because it's not the case the past 10 years including Callahan. Unless there are 13 to 14 games, sure 10 wins isn't too much to ask. Unless you want a fan base to enjoy their Saturday's antiquing instead of Husker football. :-)

I call BS

As do I

If people still bitch after wins, what makes him think people will be okay with four close loses? Some people won't be happy unless every game is perfectly played and we win by a considerable amount. No penalties, no turnovers, less than 200 yards given up, etc. And then there are people like Hunter94 who would probably find something to bitch at even if we won a MNC.

around and around we go......... i dont know about you guys but im getting dizzy.....

sooo..... what if Bo wins all the remaining games and then wins a bowl (or loses? does it matter)?? keeps his job only for the same thing to happen again next year....

i think whom ever comes in (if Bo gets fired) will know the score... nebraska fans, boosters, Clarence Thomas, gabrielle union, the guys from 311 and everyone else are pissed! i wouldnt expect miracles though

around and around we go......... i dont know about you guys but im getting dizzy.....

sooo..... what if Bo wins all the remaining games and then wins a bowl (or loses? does it matter)?? keeps his job only for the same thing to happen again next year....

i think whom ever comes in (if Bo gets fired) will know the score... nebraska fans, boosters, Clarence Thomas, gabrielle union, the guys from 311 and everyone else are pissed! i wouldnt expect miracles though

The guys from 311 haven't been the same since the "Blue" album...

The guys from 311 haven't been the same since the "Blue" album...

i never thought about it but i know they are from omaha... do they get a lot of love in nebraska??