The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

I never once said "We are Nebraska we can get anybody". I gave you reasons why he would come. So keep going back to your straw man argument.

And if he did come, the last thing on my list would be to go to some message board to taunt an anonymous little defeatist.

I think we should totally shoot for the stars, I just wish I could share some folks enthusiasm for landing such stars....

Agreed and this is my stance. We don't have two camps here and there is the feeling that we want the best possible candidate. The problem is that this job isn't as shiny as it once was. I think we should shoot for the stars, but I feel that we will fall very short and it will bring a lot of people down to reality.

We have been very spoiled and we've caught lightening in a bottle twice. That same thing is going to be very hard to do with how much CFB has changed in every aspect.

I concur, this is why, even though he's not a marquee name, Pat Hill is a solid football coach. I honestly don't think he'll ever leave Fresno, but I think he could have a shot...

I think we should totally shoot for the stars, I just wish I could share some folks enthusiasm for landing such stars....

Agreed and this is my stance. We don't have two camps here and there is the feeling that we want the best possible candidate. The problem is that this job isn't as shiny as it once was. I think we should shoot for the stars, but I feel that we will fall very short and it will bring a lot of people down to reality.

We have been very spoiled and we've caught lightening in a bottle twice. That same thing is going to be very hard to do with how much CFB has changed in every aspect.

I concur, this is why, even though he's not a marquee name, Pat Hill is a solid football coach. I honestly don't think he'll ever leave Fresno, but I think he could have a shot...

He's already left Fresno.

He's the OL coach for Atlanta.

He's already left Fresno.

He's the OL coach for Atlanta.

shows you what i know...

squadoosh...

Hill got canned after the '11 season. His successor Tim DeRuyter would be my top reasonable/likely candidate for the job.

I think Petersen would have more interest coming to Lincoln now than prior to the end of Callahan days. I don't know this, but I'm sure as a competitive coach that he would enjoy the thought of going up against Urban Meyer for CCG every year. I think he would understand the Huskers have been hovering the bottom half of the top 25 pretty much for the past 10 years and he could be the guy to get us closer to the 8-14 range each year. A rose bowl reward or possible BCS game most years would be a lot to think about as well. He has the experience and like some said, he may have reached his peak with what he can expect to do at Boise. And it's not like when USC ruled the Pac 10, bc now it's Oregon and Stanford and several others, so that's out. The Big 12 is the Texas Conference. The SEC beat up each other. The ACC doesn't do much if you're not already Clemson, FSU, VaTech or Miami. Which leaves the Big 10 open. And he is just the experienced type of winning Coach to take over this division as the Huskers HC. He's respectable and he's been there in big games. I'm crossing my fingers for him just like I did when Cally got the axe.

I never once said "We are Nebraska we can get anybody". I gave you reasons why he would come. So keep going back to your straw man argument.

And if he did come, the last thing on my list would be to go to some message board to taunt an anonymous little defeatist.

And I gave you reasons why he wouldn't based on the fact that he has turned down multiple jobs in the past. One being UCLA which is perceived by everybody outside of the state of Nebraska as a better job than a cold Midwestern school with maybe 30 BCS level recruits within 4-5 hours to go around between about 7 schools and only 3 kids in your state worth an offer.

There is a huge difference between being a defeatist and a realist. Realistically, Eichorst would be a man worthy of a hefty raise if he got anyone comparable to the HuskerBoard shortlist.

So you are okay engaging in petty arguments with me about the weather in certain places but you are too good to "taunt an anonymous defeatist."

By the way, before you edited the post I caught it. Never one time have I advocated keeping or firing the current staff. Let's get that straight. Nothing I have said should be read in a way to suggest that.

I think it's really speculative as to whether the UCLA job is better or not than the Nebraska job.

Consider, though, that UCLA:

-is located right in beautiful Westwood

-a quality (right now) Pac-12 conference with plenty of opportunity for exposure

-recruiting hotbed and a struggling USC program in a much poorer location at their doorstep

-very quality school that has a lot to offer outside of athletics

-a lot of other sports gigs in town such that the spotlight isn't so searing

Contrast that with Nebraska, which has a much stronger tradition and fanbase, but also is the only show in the state and has some really high standards for every coach who comes through here. There's precious little room to take the program through a couple of formative years away from the spotlight and then be able to have everyone talking about you once the ball is rolling again. That's where UCLA was and what they got in Mora, but we need to hit that 'next level' and we need it now.

Now, I think Peterson is a great coach and I would be extremely pleased if they could sell NU to him and land him. Just laying out that it might not happen.

Not to mention, a lot of these smaller school coaches practically have tenure there. If they like and are comfortable with where they are at, why would they jump ship?

And I gave you reasons why he wouldn't based on the fact that he has turned down multiple jobs in the past. One being UCLA which is perceived by everybody outside of the state of Nebraska as a better job than a cold Midwestern school with maybe 30 BCS level recruits within 4-5 hours to go around between about 7 schools and only 3 kids in your state worth an offer.

There is a huge difference between being a defeatist and a realist. Realistically, Eichorst would be a man worthy of a hefty raise if he got anyone comparable to the HuskerBoard shortlist.

So you are okay engaging in petty arguments with me about the weather in certain places but you are too good to "taunt an anonymous defeatist."

By the way, before you edited the post I caught it. Never one time have I advocated keeping or firing the current staff. Let's get that straight. Nothing I have said should be read in a way to suggest that.

Why would any coach jump in UCLA at that time? All the great Cali kids were going to USC. It was a Pete Carroll conference and universe. The second tier kids were going to Oregon as they started to become the 2nd best team in the PAC10. And Stanford had Harbough. UCLA was not a hot commodity at that time. Unless you are talking about going there when Mora did a year ago? Did I miss understand that?

Why would any coach jump in UCLA at that time? All the great Cali kids were going to USC. It was a Pete Carroll conference and universe. The second tier kids were going to Oregon as they started to become the 2nd best team in the PAC10. And Stanford had Harbough. UCLA was not a hot commodity at that time. Unless you are talking about going there when Mora did a year ago? Did I miss understand that?

Peterson was offered the job in 2012 when Mora Jr got it. Unless I am mistaken. He was offered a blank check in the sense that UCLA was more than willing to pay him any crazy amount of money he wanted.

On a side note though, there are MORE THAN ENOUGH talented kids to go around in SoCal.

Peterson was offered the job in 2012 when Mora Jr got it. Unless I am mistaken. He was offered a blank check in the sense that UCLA was more than willing to pay him any crazy amount of money he wanted.

On a side note though, there are MORE THAN ENOUGH talented kids to go around in SoCal.

Ohhh....Gotcha. If that's correct, my misunderstanding. This time around, Oregon and Stanford are pretty tough to overtake. I think he could do well against OSU, Wisc, and the Michigans.

But with USC in turmoil and uncertainty last season he could have sealed up SoCal to where the talent he wanted didn't leave UCLA. That why I think that teams like UCLA and aTm are in outstanding shape to be big time players in MNC talk this next decade or so.

Peterson turning down UCLA was a cultural thing. The man clearly has higher priorities than money, among them is quality of life. He clearly is not a SoCal type of guy. In case you all haven't noticed, Lincoln is a million times more Boise than LA.

Peterson to Nebraska is not a stretch.

ive been reading this thread for the last few days and ive come away kinda confused....

what i gather is for whatever reason or another nebraska could never find a (top notch) coach from the pro's, college, Division III etc.... that would be willing to come here and turn things around...... whats with this??

ive been reading this thread for the last few days and ive come away kinda confused....

what i gather is for whatever reason or another nebraska could never find a (top notch) coach from the pro's, college, Division III etc.... that would be willing to come here and turn things around...... whats with this??

The same self-loathing sentiment that makes people think we should be grateful for the putrid product Pelini is putting out on the field. The Solich/Callahan episode has really messed with this fan base's self-esteem.