The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

Anyone that takes off their rose colored glasses that can't see that UCLA is an easier and better job than ours I don't think understands, ) They are basically within an hour of a lot of the prospects that we go after and have beaten us out for kids for years basically due to location. Plus, you have better weather and you aren't far from Arizona which is also full of talent. You wouldn't have to go more than 500 miles for a recruit ever unless you chose to. Also, your leash is much longer than what you'd have at Nebraska. Many less natural disadvantages than Nebraska.

Chris Peterson? You could approach him and he could always say no. After he turned down the UCLA job I predicted that he would never leave Boise and I stick by that. But the arguments as to why he'd come here you could also make for UCLA. Minus what NUPolo said about Lincoln being more similar to his natural environment than LA being which is more of a valid point than anything I've heard so far.

The classic "We are Nebraska so we can get anybody we want," isn't the case anymore. Schools have caught up to us in basically every area. There are teams with just as good a facilities in terms of weight room, etc as us and there are just as historic stadiums as ours in our own conference.

Does anyone remember our 2003 coaching search??? It was an embarrassment watching Pedey beg people to take the job.

If we do start a coaching search, prepare to be humbled. We will not get an A-list guy. The only thing we really have to attract a top candidate is a competitive salary over other schools. At best, we are just like every other job.

UCLA is a good job. A great job even. But it's not "easier" or "better" than Nebraska.

The commitment to winning and the subsequent money spent at Nebraska is far better than UCLA. That's not an opinion, that is a researchable fact. UCLA's close proximity to all if these wonderful recruits is overblown considering modern times where these kids are nationally recruited, and being from the west coast, are a lot more accessible and easier to break free from their home area than an SEC kid.

And to that point, Petersen never had much of a problem getting guys he wanted to go to Boise, (who's weather makes Lincoln look downright balmy), and to buy into their system.

To say nothing of the fact that Nebraska's history ( with the exception of this year) dwarfs UCLA.

Stop saying this isn't a destination job compared to UCLA. It's patently false, regardless of how bad Pedersen handled things in 03

I have family in Boise and I stayed there for a summer. The weather in Boise does not make Lincoln anything close to balmy. You have summers without humidity and winters that aren't completely bone-chilling. It's that way throughout that region also down into Utah. The absence of humidity makes the summers so much more bearable than here. Chris Peterson isn't leaving Boise. That has been my stance for awhile and I stick by it. If my prediction is wrong, I'll be the first to tell you. If we go coach shopping, should we approach him? Absolutely. The worst that happens is he says no.

http://www.businessi...2-1/1-auburn-25

Interesting to see the schools ahead of us and behind us on that list.

Are you honestly going to tell me that location doesn't make a difference in recruiting? I wish you were right but that is flat out not the case. Sure kids are nationally recruited, but that doesn't change the fact that recruiting is a lot easier when the talent is in your backyard. We have missed on a lot of quality players because of location. That isn't up for debate.

Bottom line, with the very (almost unreasonable at times) expectations at NU and it's built in recruiting disadvantages it makes a lot of jobs easier and better than ours. Schools like aTm and UCLA come to mind when saying that. At either school you wouldn't be in the constant shadow of two legends and you'd never draw those comparisons. I hate to break anyone's heart, it's just the case. We aren't as attractive as schools in talent rich recruiting areas or where you aren't constantly under a microscope. Sure we have a rich tradition. Sure we have top level facilities. Sure we could pay them money. I personally don't think that will be enough for a top level guy to want to commit career suicide and risk not living up to our fanbase's standards.

If USC and (possibly) Texas go on the hunt this year a top level coach is going to be very difficult if not impossible to pull.

If changes are made, you are running a huge risk.

Its currently 20 degrees cooler in Boise than it is in Lincoln right now. And its winters are bone chilling. You've never watched an Independence Bowl?

And since you've abandoned my other points as to why UCLA doesn't pose much of a risk to NU, I guess that means you've conceded those points.

And, like I said, crazier things have happened than him coming to NU. Just because "it isn't the 90's, doesn't mean they need to aim low. Hell, if the likely scenario plays out where Eichorst gets the advice from his mentor and find a hard ass coach with a vision from a lesser conference, that ain't all bad either.

And the only coordinators that should get looks should be of the Greg Roman variety.

Anyone that takes off their rose colored glasses that can't see that UCLA is an easier and better job than ours I don't think understands, ) They are basically within an hour of a lot of the prospects that we go after and have beaten us out for kids for years basically due to location. Plus, you have better weather and you aren't far from Arizona which is also full of talent. You wouldn't have to go more than 500 miles for a recruit ever unless you chose to. Also, your leash is much longer than what you'd have at Nebraska. Many less natural disadvantages than Nebraska.

Chris Peterson? You could approach him and he could always say no. After he turned down the UCLA job I predicted that he would never leave Boise and I stick by that. But the arguments as to why he'd come here you could also make for UCLA. Minus what NUPolo said about Lincoln being more similar to his natural environment than LA being which is more of a valid point than anything I've heard so far.

The classic "We are Nebraska so we can get anybody we want," isn't the case anymore. Schools have caught up to us in basically every area. There are teams with just as good a facilities in terms of weight room, etc as us and there are just as historic stadiums as ours in our own conference.

Does anyone remember our 2003 coaching search??? It was an embarrassment watching Pedey beg people to take the job.

If we do start a coaching search, prepare to be humbled. We will not get an A-list guy. The only thing we really have to attract a top candidate is a competitive salary over other schools. At best, we are just like every other job.

UCLA is a good job. A great job even. But it's not "easier" or "better" than Nebraska.

The commitment to winning and the subsequent money spent at Nebraska is far better than UCLA. That's not an opinion, that is a researchable fact. UCLA's close proximity to all if these wonderful recruits is overblown considering modern times where these kids are nationally recruited, and being from the west coast, are a lot more accessible and easier to break free from their home area than an SEC kid.

And to that point, Petersen never had much of a problem getting guys he wanted to go to Boise, (who's weather makes Lincoln look downright balmy), and to buy into their system.

To say nothing of the fact that Nebraska's history ( with the exception of this year) dwarfs UCLA.

Stop saying this isn't a destination job compared to UCLA. It's patently false, regardless of how bad Pedersen handled things in 03

I have family in Boise and I stayed there for a summer. The weather in Boise does not make Lincoln anything close to balmy. You have summers without humidity and winters that aren't completely bone-chilling. It's that way throughout that region also down into Utah. The absence of humidity makes the summers so much more bearable than here. Chris Peterson isn't leaving Boise. That has been my stance for awhile and I stick by it. If my prediction is wrong, I'll be the first to tell you. If we go coach shopping, should we approach him? Absolutely. The worst that happens is he says no.

http://www.businessi...2-1/1-auburn-25

Interesting to see the schools ahead of us and behind us on that list.

Are you honestly going to tell me that location doesn't make a difference in recruiting? I wish you were right but that is flat out not the case. Sure kids are nationally recruited, but that doesn't change the fact that recruiting is a lot easier when the talent is in your backyard. We have missed on a lot of quality players because of location. That isn't up for debate.

Bottom line, with the very (almost unreasonable at times) expectations at NU and it's built in recruiting disadvantages it makes a lot of jobs easier and better than ours. Schools like aTm and UCLA come to mind when saying that. At either school you wouldn't be in the constant shadow of two legends and you'd never draw those comparisons. I hate to break anyone's heart, it's just the case. We aren't as attractive as schools in talent rich recruiting areas or where you aren't constantly under a microscope. Sure we have a rich tradition. Sure we have top level facilities. Sure we could pay them money. I personally don't think that will be enough for a top level guy to want to commit career suicide and risk not living up to our fanbase's standards.

If USC and (possibly) Texas go on the hunt this year a top level coach is going to be very difficult if not impossible to pull.

If changes are made, you are running a huge risk.

Its currently 20 degrees cooler in Boise than it is in Lincoln right now. And its winters are bone chilling. You've never watched an Independence Bowl?

And since you've abandoned my other points as to why UCLA doesn't pose much of a risk to NU, I guess that means you've conceded those points.

And, like I said, crazier things have happened than him coming to NU. Just because "it isn't the 90's, doesn't mean they need to aim low. Hell, if the likely scenario plays out where Eichorst gets the advice from his mentor and find a hard ass coach with a vision from a lesser conference, that ain't all bad either.

And the only coordinators that should get looks should be of the Greg Roman variety.

It is not like Boise is some ice box and it is not like it is some tropical paradise either. The wind is worse in Nebraska than Boise and I know that from personal experience and the many people I know from that region's experience. The fact that you looked this up shows how much you just wanna argue. Which is fine.

It's interesting that you say I've "conceded points about UCLA" but then don't acknowledge any of my counterpoints that support my position about it being more attractive and an easier job. I suppose that means you've conceded those points to me. So a point each way for those that are apparently keeping score.

Get this through your head, Chris Peterson will not come here. I'd love to be wrong and you could call me out on it if you'd like. If Eichorst pulls it off I will head up the campaign to make him the highest paid state employee. I am not saying any search should start at the bottom, but if you think that the top level candidates are going to be lining up to coach here specifically because "we are Nebraska" and we spend a lot of money and "we are committed to winning" you are sadly mistaken.

This misconception we can get anybody needs to end.

With everything thats happened here in the past couple months, what do you think would be the impetus for Petersen to leave Boise?

He's not in a AQ conference, not in the national spotlight, subjected to ridicule at every turn, and if he has a bad season or two, it's not as big a deal as it is here...

With everything thats happened here in the past couple months, what do you think would be the impetus for Petersen to leave Boise?

He's not in a AQ conference, not in the national spotlight, subjected to ridicule at every turn, and if he has a bad season or two, it's not as big a deal as it is here...

If that's his attitude, then it would be best for both parties for him to stay there.

I would like to think he's a competitive guy that has realized he's hit the ceiling of what he can do at Boise.

If that's his attitude, then it would be best for both parties for him to stay there.

I would like to think he's a competitive guy that has realized he's hit the ceiling of what he can do at Boise.

I would like to think that as well, but I don't think he's a realistic candidate, should it even come down to that...

Seems we have 2 camps here...the "shoot for the stars camp" and "the no one wants to come here camp". Frankly, I am a more shoot for the stars...why would we ever sell ourselves short?! So, go for Shaw, Peterson, Richt, etc. If that doesn't work then let Frost build it back from the ground up or bring in DeRuyter or other. The common denominator here is Pelini's time is up. I supported him for several years but he missed his chance to make changes and improve the program. Let's move on.

I think we should totally shoot for the stars, I just wish I could share some folks enthusiasm for landing such stars....

Agreed and this is my stance. We don't have two camps here and there is the feeling that we want the best possible candidate. The problem is that this job isn't as shiny as it once was. I think we should shoot for the stars, but I feel that we will fall very short and it will bring a lot of people down to reality.

We have been very spoiled and we've caught lightening in a bottle twice. That same thing is going to be very hard to do with how much CFB has changed in every aspect.