Pelini vs. Beck

Anyone else listening to Big Red Overreaction? Damon Benning is of the opinion that Pelini is making Beck start Martinez and Beck is reacting by putting Martinez in a position to fail. Pretty interesting theory, particularly given Beck's comments after practice on Tuesday and Pelini's bizarre post-game press conference.

I've got it on.

So, apparently Martinez just admitted to McKewon that 1) He has been hurt since the Wyoming game, 2) He does not have turf toe, but the second and third toes on that foot are hurt, 3) he would not answer when asked if they were fractured, and 4) he was hurt today.

Of course they keep juxtaposing this with the clip from Beck that he would "Play the guy who is healthy".

Yeah, the whole thing is weird. Combine all of that with the fact that the team seems to play far harder when Kellogg/Armstrong are starting at QB and you have a situation where it seems the team and certain of the coaches don't want Martinez starting and Pelini is forcing the issue. Today's game was the result.

I think this is one conspiracy theory that seems plausible. I'm not sure what Pelini's love affair with Martinez is, but it's pretty bizarre.

Sabotage like that could hurt Beck's chances of getting another job in the future. But it makes sense considering he let Martinez throw it 30 times his first game back, when we were averaging over 6 yards a carry.

Didn't Abdullah average 8.9 yards per carry? So why the hell didn't we keep pounding the ball?

There is simply no way "the team plays harder" if Armstrong plays this game and Martinez doesn't. We spotted that defense a ten-point lead and they couldn't hold it against Minnesota.

When are people going to learn that the Quarterback has zero affect on the defense? And what will the excuse be next year when Martinez is gone and we give up another game like this, or another 500 yards of offense to a weak team? Hangover from the Martinez Era?

I don't think Beck would do something that will make himself look bad.

I cannot believe Tommy Armstrong never even stepped foot on the field. I just can't believe it.

I think it's because we prepared to go with Martinez and it would've been setting up Armstrong to fail to just throw him in there. Remember, we were in this game to pretty much the end.

There is simply no way "the team plays harder" if Armstrong plays this game and Martinez doesn't. We spotted that defense a ten-point lead and they couldn't hold it against Minnesota.

When are people going to learn that the Quarterback has zero affect on the defense? And what will the excuse be next year when Martinez is gone and we give up another game like this, or another 500 yards of offense to a weak team? Hangover from the Martinez Era?

The offense not being able to keep the D off the field to catch their breath, make adjustments, etc. absolutely can affect the defense. So can turnovers. So your statement is absolutely false my friend.

• Fire 8

You are wrong, twice we went 3 and out and the defense had less than a minute to rest. Minnesota is a physical team. The offense needs to give them a break and Martinez was awful throwing the ball today!

• Fire 1

I cannot believe Tommy Armstrong never even stepped foot on the field. I just can't believe it.

Jesus christ True. What the f#*k is going on. This is an embarrassment. If Martinez trots out for the first snap next Saturday, I'm walking out that north stadium and not watching another play all year.

I like Taylor as a person. and he's been a warrior for us. And i've tried to be nice about saying these past 5 weeks the it's time to move on, but it really is. I just dont get it anymore. If what Benning is thinking has any substance, then Bo really does need to go. Seriously, what does the Martinez family have on Bo that we have to continue down this road.

it's one thing to call for the backup when we've never seen them play (ala Carnes, Green, etc), but we've seen the team play with a level of fluidity and confidence under Armstrong and kellogg in all 3 phases for 3 games that we havent seen consistently ever under Bo that I know of.

Bo said in the presser today that it wasnt Taylor's fault. That the team played poorly and didnt execute all across the board bla bla bla. But why? Doesnt everyone see that Taylor being back in the game, that the team reverted back to playing sh**ty like they did before Taylor's injury. The players know who gives them the best chance to succeed at qb. We saw it plain and simple today. Total regression. And after the progress made on both sides of the ball last couple games, Taylor's presence is the only explanation. hell, even our punter couldnt do his job today. What gives? It's just not working.

• Fire 3

Martinez isn't the only problem, but he's certainly one of them. One aspect of that is his spotty, inconsistent and often head-scratching play. Another is that the entire team, defense included, plays better when he's in street clothes and Armstrong and/or Kellogg is under center. That just seems obvious.

And if Benning is right, the fact that Beck and at least some of the players don't want Martinez to be the starter is dividing the locker room. I think that could be the reason you see such a tepid effort like we witnessed today.

The offense not being able to keep the D off the field to catch their breath, make adjustments, etc. absolutely can affect the defense. So can turnovers. So your statement is absolutely false my friend.

But that wasn't the case this game. I don't believe that we had too many three and outs following scores. This wasn't UCLA part 2, it was something else.