Pelini vs. Beck

South Dakota State

Illinois

Purdue

Those are the facts about the teams RKIII and Armstrong faced.

Wyoming

So Miss

UCLA

Minnesota

Outside of UCLA, it's a wash, considering So Miss is probably equal or worse than SDSU.

And besides, it's not about comparing competition. But rather, we'll never know, when we shouldve.

• Fire 2

Yep, and as Junior said in another thread, if this defense is playing poorly because of who's behind center, we have far bigger problems than Taylor Martinez.

I think that's obvious. But as a coach to you look at the lone piece of low-hanging fruit and ignore the rest? You've got to address all the big issues, not just one area.

Yep, and as Junior said in another thread, if this defense is playing poorly because of who's behind center, we have far bigger problems than Taylor Martinez.

That's the thing. I think we do right now. There's a total lack of chemistry. I wanted to give Taylor this chance. I really did, becuase he did deserve it. The chance that is. But he's not the answer anymore. For some reason, the team-even winning-has looked rather uninspired all around with Taylor in at qb. There was a spark. A confidence. A swagger with the other, regardless of the competition. I'm really trying to observe how this is not being seen right now.

• Fire 1

I think it's clear that we DO have far bigger problems than Martinez. Like our Knife-through-hot-butter run defense for one.

Anyone else listening to Big Red Overreaction? Damon Benning is of the opinion that Pelini is making Beck start Martinez and Beck is reacting by putting Martinez in a position to fail. Pretty interesting theory, particularly given Beck's comments after practice on Tuesday and Pelini's bizarre post-game press conference.

Of course we should've had more qb keepers since that was one thing that actually worked and if he means Beck didn't call them because of Martinez injury then that may be a possibility. Beck probably feels Martinez is more capable of hitting the big pass than the other two qb's and calls that more as well. Martinez does have a lot of leeway on handoff options and where to throw it,...if you don't think his decisions are right then you take him out. Or if you absolutely want the qb to run without fear of reinjury then you put in Armstrong or RKIII and do that. I didn't think Martinez was terrible today and it truly was a total team loss, but I don't understand the stubbornness to not try another qb just to make something happen either.....and then maybe put Martinez back in if that seems best.

It would be nice to play a run-first offense, capable of getting big chunks on first down, just 15 or so well-timed passes, and generally wear down the other team with long drives, executed over 4 consistent quarters.

Unfortunately, the Nebraska offense doesn't play many defenses as pourous as the Nebraska defense.

It's genuinely amazing to me to see how much Taylor Martinez is dominating this board today, when the defense went out and made Minnesota look like Alabama. When virtually any offense in the country can look at Nebraska and start licking it's chops, that's the big story.

I had talked myself into seeing significant improvement over the past three games, but it was on the defensive side. We can ride Abdullah and Cross like horses and don't need Martinez on a single zone option as long as our defense isn't giving up 9 yards a carry on the other side.

The coaching staff seems to have completely lost the team. That's what I'm seeing...in what they say, don't say and in their body language.

No. I dont think the staff has. I think Taylor has. Watch the first three games. Then watch the next three games. Then re watch today, and try to argue with me.

Oddly, folks said the same thing when he was hurt and Lee came in. Appeared guys played harder for Lee. A sad day when the HC desires over ride the needs of the team if this is the case.

The coaching staff seems to have completely lost the team. That's what I'm seeing...in what they say, don't say and in their body language.

No. I dont think the staff has. I think Taylor has. Watch the first three games. Then watch the next three games. Then re watch today, and try to argue with me.

Oddly, folks said the same thing when he was hurt and Lee came in. Appeared guys played harder for Lee. A sad day when the HC desires over ride the needs of the team if this is the case.

You thought that too? I'll be damned.

It would be nice to play a run-first offense, capable of getting big chunks on first down, just 15 or so well-timed passes, and generally wear down the other team with long drives, executed over 4 consistent quarters.

Unfortunately, the Nebraska offense doesn't play many defenses as pourous as the Nebraska defense.

It's genuinely amazing to me to see how much Taylor Martinez is dominating this board today, when the defense went out and made Minnesota look like Alabama. When virtually any offense in the country can look at Nebraska and start licking it's chops, that's the big story.

I had talked myself into seeing significant improvement over the past three games, but it was on the defensive side. We can ride Abdullah and Cross like horses and don't need Martinez on a single zone option as long as our defense isn't giving up 9 yards a carry on the other side.

agree....after 6 games, the defense is not showing any improvement....steady improvement is not in the cards...I saw lots of guys pull up as a play was about to be made, thinking they didn't need to contribute...sickening.

You thought that too? I'll be damned.

Great minds think alike. Might be some truth to the rumors.

I think the notion that players played harder for one guy or another is at best, unsubstantiated.

But we do run a smoother, crisper offense with Ron Kellogg back there and even Tommy, maybe. I don't know, I'm no expert, but something just doesn't look or feel right when Taylor's running the show in comparison. Chalk it up to his injury situation or Beck being less able (or willing! conspiracy :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:. just kidding. to be clear) to call the offense with Taylor at the helm or whatever you like.

Anyone else listening to Big Red Overreaction? Damon Benning is of the opinion that Pelini is making Beck start Martinez and Beck is reacting by putting Martinez in a position to fail. Pretty interesting theory, particularly given Beck's comments after practice on Tuesday and Pelini's bizarre post-game press conference.

Wasn't there rumor floating around a couple of years ago similar to this? That Pelini was making Watson start Martinez but Watson wanted Cody Green or even RKIII?