Pelini vs. Beck

Martinez wasn't healthy and should not have played, but that doesn't explain the D's giving up 9 yards a play on first down. This D is terrible and many of us got sucked in because they played okay against terrible competition. Any team with a decent offense is going to put big yards and point on the board against us. And that is on the Defensive Guru himself.

Which is why out offensive play calling and reliance on Martinez was so baffling. I don't think too many really believed we suddenly had a shutdown defense. If the coaching staff believed that, well, come to your own conclusion there.

Agreed. This game was a head scratcher from the get go.

When Taylor Martinez is gone next year and our defense is still having these same problems, what will the excuse be then?

Depends if the offense is doing the same thing. Irregardless of who the quarterback is, if the offense stays on the field for 3 plays and 20 seconds, that is not going to help the defense when they come back on the field.

Knapp, I don't think anyone is excusing the defensive performances. I think it's a little too simplistic to blame all the defensive problems on the defense.

I thought there was a noticeable difference in how the team responded with Armstrong/Kellogg playing. Kind of like when Ganz took over for Keller.

I agree 100%. I thought I was the only one who saw this. I felt the team was more confident when Armstrong/Kellogg were in there. Obviously the teams they played had issues defending both QB's. Opposing defenses are just not threatened by TM and his sketchy decision making. Even a simple swing pass was completely telegraphed and resulted in a 8 or 9 yard loss against Minnesota. You can tell Martinez has very little on field awareness and no ability to check down receivers. He can only lock onto one receiver that's a defenders dream on pass plays.

I thought there was a noticeable difference in how the team responded with Armstrong/Kellogg playing. Kind of like when Ganz took over for Keller.

I agree 100%. I thought I was the only one who saw this. I felt the team was more confident when Armstrong/Kellogg were in there. Obviously the teams they played had issues defending both QB's. Opposing defenses are just not threatened by TM and his sketchy decision making. Even a simple swing pass was completely telegraphed and resulted in a 8 or 9 yard loss.

You weren't the only ones who saw this. It was clear the guys responded. TA is a leader.

I disagree with this. People are very conveniently forgetting the WR drops that Tommy Armstrong experienced at Purdue, and his 3 interception performance in that game.

What I don't understand at all is why you would play Martinez and then not use the QB run game. It makes ZERO sense. What the hell is our offense supposed to be? Is it a running offense? Then why don't you get the RB, who's averaging more than 8 ypc, more than 20 carries? Is it a dropback passer offense? Then why is Ron Kellogg III, who is EASILY the best passer on the team, on the bench? Is it an option offense? Then why do you wait until the 3rd quarter to ask Martinez to run the ball?

Minnesota knows who they are. They know what they have to do. Nebraska, on the other hand, has absolutely no idea what their identity is on offense. No clue.

Minn has a sh**ty defense. Why didn't we exploit them like they exploited us?

How-- after a bye week, scrimmage game, bye week are we the ones not CONFUSING THEM?

I couldn't watch the game but I followed it on gamecast and sometimes it took a minute to upload the drive stats and I just couldn't believe DRIVE AFTER DRIVE AFTER DRIVE that there were 9, 18, 12, 20 yard gashes agaisnt us!!!

How come we say, "they blitzed all game and out 8 in the box, what were we supposed to do??"

But then the other team never says that? We run the same sh#t over and over with nary an adjustment and get gashed play after play.

I have really really stuck up for Bo and Co over the last few years. Now to a damn near fault.

But I gotta say man, "what the hell are we doing???"

Kliff freaking Kingsbury is doing something right. What are we doing wrong???

I agree 100%. I thought I was the only one who saw this. I felt the team was more confident when Armstrong/Kellogg were in there. Obviously the teams they played had issues defending both QB's. Opposing defenses are just not threatened by TM and his sketchy decision making. Even a simple swing pass was completely telegraphed and resulted in a 8 or 9 yard loss.

You weren't the only ones who saw this. It was clear the guys responded. TA is a leader.

I would have taken either TA or Kellogg today. Both guys have superb accuracy TA can really put the ball in tight spaces. I harped on that before his first start while just reviewing his HS tape granted it was HS but the ability to squeeze throws into tight spots only where a receiver can get it, that is flat out skill. You can't coach that stuff.

I agree 100%. I thought I was the only one who saw this. I felt the team was more confident when Armstrong/Kellogg were in there. Obviously the teams they played had issues defending both QB's. Opposing defenses are just not threatened by TM and his sketchy decision making. Even a simple swing pass was completely telegraphed and resulted in a 8 or 9 yard loss against Minnesota. You can tell Martinez has very little on field awareness and no ability to check down receivers. He can only lock onto one receiver that's a defenders dream on pass plays.

Same issues for 4 years! We all thought it would get better, but it has not!

Same issues for 4 years! We all thought it would get better, but it has not!

This is true as the shot-put throwing motion returned today too. His deep passes hang in the air waaaay too long which helps a defender make a break on the play. I saw this quite a bit today when TM went deep.

I cannot believe Tommy Armstrong never even stepped foot on the field. I just can't believe it.

Jesus christ True. What the f#*k is going on. This is an embarrassment. If Martinez trots out for the first snap next Saturday, I'm walking out that north stadium and not watching another play all year.

I like Taylor as a person. and he's been a warrior for us. And i've tried to be nice about saying these past 5 weeks the it's time to move on, but it really is. I just dont get it anymore. If what Benning is thinking has any substance, then Bo really does need to go. Seriously, what does the Martinez family have on Bo that we have to continue down this road.

it's one thing to call for the backup when we've never seen them play (ala Carnes, Green, etc), but we've seen the team play with a level of fluidity and confidence under Armstrong and kellogg in all 3 phases for 3 games that we havent seen consistently ever under Bo that I know of.

Bo said in the presser today that it wasnt Taylor's fault. That the team played poorly and didnt execute all across the board bla bla bla. But why? Doesnt everyone see that Taylor being back in the game, that the team reverted back to playing sh**ty like they did before Taylor's injury. The players know who gives them the best chance to succeed at qb. We saw it plain and simple today. Total regression. And after the progress made on both sides of the ball last couple games, Taylor's presence is the only explanation. hell, even our punter couldnt do his job today. What gives? It's just not working.

Was I supposed to read this post sarcastically? Should we be blaming Taylor for Ameer's fumble, too?

No. But i wanna hear a logical explanation why sh#t like that hadnt happened in the 3 games without Taylor, and why the offense looked far more fluid and consistent in those three games than it ever has under Bo.

I guess I would also like an explanation as to how it's not blatantly obvious anymore.