4 dropped passes

I think the replay showed the ball hitting either his right or left hand first and that's why he missed it. Wonder if he has a hard time seeing the ball sometimes? Then other times, the dude catches a highlight reel one hander. Just and all around off day for the guys, but back in the day it was still something they could overcome. Maybe it's the Y Generation coming out.......

Hits your hands ....it's catchable

Says who???

This is one of those very unintelligent things I always hear, much like people yelling to a runner in second place, "Run faster! Catch him!" It's just that easy isn't it? Scatter throws randomly across the field, and as long as somebody can manage a lunge or leap to touch it, well then, the QB has done his part, hasn't he?

Here's what we'll do: Turn your back towards me, put out your arms, and I'll hit your hands with a football. We'll see how many in a row you catch. We'll only count the ones that are "catchable" because they hit your hands.

• Fire 1

Well, if we agree that the ball wasn't really in the right place and it's just a question of whether we expect our awesome WRs to make the catch or if we think it's understandable for them to miss a tough one without characterizing it as an inexcusable drop, then I'd have to say we are really

Split-Shift-300x205.jpg

Yeah, there were screenshots posted in the game thread of that play where Kenny was wide open but the throw made it more difficult than it should have been.

Another one looked really low and the receiver had to stop and get to the ground to try to make it.

Drops happen every game, but it's a function of more than one variable. Better throws are easier to catch. On Kenny's endzone miss the ball was also behind him. He was running left across the field and the ball came high and to the right. Even if it hadn't required him to reach back over to get his hands on it, Kenny was likely going to get walloped too. But Taylor was under duress on that one.

I wonder if that throw to Kenny in the back of the endzone wasn't Taylor attempting to just throw it away

I feel like every pass Martinez throws is an attempt to throw it away.

• Fire 1

If Bell catches that ball, he's going to get pounded about three times on the way down and probably land square on his shoulder, head, or neck. A lot of the throws effectively punished our receivers, requiring them to go down flailing hard for the last bit of extension, or position themselves to get killed by tacklers eager to knock it out.

Yes, they should have caught more, but it was not at all a well thrown game by Martinez.

This might be a discussion point again after Enunwa's comments.

Does anyone remember (m)any drops from Kellogg passes against Purdue? Personally I thought a lot of it had to do with Tommy and Taylor being off the last couple games. I'm at the point with this QB situation where we just need to figure out who has the hot hand that day and stick with him.

http://hailvarsity.com/2013/10/a-long-lunch-with-bo/

–And, finally, read what you want into this quote from wide receiver in Quincy Enunwa on the Huskers’ drops on Saturday.

“We expect to catch every ball obviously. There are going to be tough catches that we should make but at the same time there’s going to be tough passes that the quarterback should make as well,” he said.

When asked if he felt Martinez was rusty coming off his injury, Enunwa declined to answer.

This isn't a catchable ball. OK.

J7Id1Uc.jpg

So, if you can touch a basketball rim fully extended with one finger, you should be expected to dunk a basketball?

He's not touching that ball with one finger at full extension. The bulk of that ball is below the top of his fingers. That's a catch that Kenny makes - that he has to make - 99 of 100 times.

I'm not here to tell you that Taylor played a great game because we all know he didn't. But those four dropped passes were critical, and while we've got our tar and feathers out for Martinez, shouldn't there be some to spare for our two star WRs who, literally, dropped the ball?

If we have antipathy for the quarterback and not the receivers, that says more about us than it says about the quarterback.

It was also a pass that led Kenny Bell to get the crap kicked out of him...

Two of those balls (one for sure, two if memory serves correct) that were missed were on slant routes that the ball was thrown high and behind, the absolute ONE place a slant route should NEVER be thrown. There is some blame to be placed on ball placement.

This isn't a catchable ball. OK.

J7Id1Uc.jpg

So, if you can touch a basketball rim fully extended with one finger, you should be expected to dunk a basketball?

He's not touching that ball with one finger at full extension. The bulk of that ball is below the top of his fingers. That's a catch that Kenny makes - that he has to make - 99 of 100 times.

I'm not here to tell you that Taylor played a great game because we all know he didn't. But those four dropped passes were critical, and while we've got our tar and feathers out for Martinez, shouldn't there be some to spare for our two star WRs who, literally, dropped the ball?

If we have antipathy for the quarterback and not the receivers, that says more about us than it says about the quarterback.

It was also a pass that led Kenny Bell to get the crap kicked out of him...

Two of those balls (one for sure, two if memory serves correct) that were missed were on slant routes that the ball was thrown high and behind, the absolute ONE place a slant route should NEVER be thrown. There is some blame to be placed on ball placement.

I don't recall the slants but the pass at the goal line that was 'dropped' was thrown three yards short of the receiver and he slipped trying to come back for it. The other to Enunwa was basically thrown at his knees. It was a pass that probably gets caught a lot of times but there wasn't any reason for it to be that low.

I dunno, that appears to be an errant pass Kenny Bell is trying to go get. Catchable? Sure. Just like his miraculous 1-handed grab against Illinois was catchable. But it was miraculous for a reason.

I agree. I also believe that he starts to gator arm to brace for a hit. Q got hit hard in the first and I don't think these guys are looking to get crushed every time they need to make a catch.

You guys can call it whatever you want, but having a receiver extend as much as our kids our is going to get someone hurt.

The enunwa pass was borderline either way...not thrown super well but not super catchable. I'm just saying the blame goes both ways. I've heard a lot of arguments against the recievers, but Ronnie Rolo's Kellog was what- some 80% with his passes? It just seems to an mildly educated eye that balls thrown by other QB's seem to be more catchable...better placed? IDK. I don't think any of martinez's decisions were bad, less the interception. I just think they weren't placed great. He's had better days. He's got broken toes, hip spur, and a broken shoulder? I wouldn't even be able to hold a football let alone throw one.

Ronald Ulysses Swanson! you kiss your mother with that mouth? :o I don't know guys, I maintain that this was only a marginal catchable ball and that we have the best WR corps we've seen at Nebraska in a long time. I wish Kenny would've come down with it, sure, but I wish even more we didn't have to blame one or another guy for this. Kenny did a great job of getting open and Taylor did a great job of not getting sacked, stepping up, and finding him in the endzone. They didn't connect but it's nothing to get so worked up over. There was a lot worse that we saw today.
Sadly there is one guy to blame. Per my previous points, it's Bo. Hate to admit that, but man I just can't believe he put Taylor out there. That's just so irresponsible, arrogant, and self spiteful I can't even comprehend it.

It isn't so much as putting him out there (Remember, Taylor did tell Bo he was fine and ready to play...but who the hell couldn't tell that he wasn't 100% in that game? Don't you have the common sense to get him out and put Tommy in if he's struggling? Sorry, I know thousands of Husker fans aren't coaches or medical staff. But we're not idiots either.

Starting Taylor because he says he's healthy and ready to go? I'm ok with that. Not realizing that something is wrong with a Senior player that you have watched for 4 seasons and should know by now? A problem.

I can't believe I'm defending the coaches on this point but we did see Taylor bust out a 30-yard run or something in this game. The performance was ultimately pretty bad, but he still seemed to have some speed. I don't know. I'd like for Taylor's sake to chalk it all up to injury but maybe it was just a bad day for him.