42 Years a Nebraska Fan and...

T_O_Bull

If you have nothing nice to say . . .

Say it louder than everyone else.

Here goes.

We are and have been the most self entitled, arrogant, and over-expectant fans in history. Yes, we got lightning in a bottle twice and it lasted decades.

Now, we are likely facing another season with three or four losses and in meltdown mode?

Come on. We have already fired one coach for similar reasons. I fear greatly the results of doing so again. If the worst we have to deal with is a few more nine win seasons before we break through . . .

Well ninety percent of teams would trade places with us.

Total entitlement. And we are owed nothing, yet demand BCS level games.

I am all for changes, and to see some big moves, but I really think it is premature to toss a HC with Bo's record. I also understand the argument for the quality of losses, but that is, in part, why we are here. Not letting the Oklahoma's of the world take over, remember?

HolyJeebus

1. It's not the losses it's how we're losing. We are being embarrassed by good teams and struggling with mediocre ones.

2. It's the recurrence if not increase of fundamental mistakes each season. If there was some hint of progress, you might hang on. But if things haven't completely stagnated, they are going downhill. If you extrapolate Bo out another 4-5 years there is zero reason to believe the program will be any better off than it is today and likely much worse.

after last weekend...now we are being embarrassed by mediocre teams...

Here goes.

We are and have been the most self entitled, arrogant, and over-expectant fans in history. Yes, we got lightning in a bottle twice and it lasted decades.

Now, we are likely facing another season with three or four losses and in meltdown mode?

Come on. We have already fired one coach for similar reasons. I fear greatly the results of doing so again. If the worst we have to deal with is a few more nine win seasons before we break through . . .

I am all for changes, and to see some big moves, but I really think it is premature to toss a HC with Bo's record. I also understand the argument for the quality of losses, but that is, in part, why we are here. Not letting the Oklahoma's of the world take over, remember?

HolyJeebus

what do you see that makes you think we are about to break thru?........when you get your ass handed to you by Minnesota after laying around in the whirlpool for 2 weeks...I mean WTF??

Is this as bad as the Clownahan regime? I would think not. During his time here, he managed to smash records that had stood longer than many on this board had been alive. Are things bad, yeah, they're definitely not good, but no where near the level that Clownahan had lowered this program to...

This is a good talking point, because I am starting to think it is. Not 2007 bad, but you combine the last few years and we're in worse shape. Look where Cally had us going into 2007. That was an exciting offseason. It all fell apart, but it happened over a 3 month period. This has been going on for a LONG time here. We knew it was going to be a tough transition w/ Cally and we weathered it pretty well. Things were on the upswing until the end. Go back through the 2006 season. Other than a couple of games against good teams, there weren't many red flags that would have indicated the D would fall off that much. Go back to the 2011 season and you'll see some of those red flags on this team. (wisconsin, michigan, usc). 2012 they are glaringly obviously. Now 2013, we're suffering yet another year of it. This is 30 months of near 2007. It's not as bad as it go, but it's been without excitement for a LOT longer.

• Fire 1

We are and have been the most self entitled, arrogant, and over-expectant fans in history.

Do you get out of Nebraska, or off this website much?

We are exactly as entitled, arrogant and over-expectant as fans in the other major college football programs who have tasted success in the past 20 or 30 or 50 years.

And some impartial observers think we're more respectful and polite than most.

Throw professional sports fans into the mix, because Nebraska doesn't have a pro franchise, and we would seem patient and forgiving in comparison.

Throw professional sports fans into the mix, because Nebraska doesn't have a pro franchise, and we would seem patient and forgiving in comparison.

True.....with the exception of those pesky Pittsburgh Steelers who 1) hang on to coaches and 2) win championships. But yes, most professional sports teams hire the flavor of the year and hope the microwave works.

We are and have been the most self entitled, arrogant, and over-expectant fans in history.

We are exactly as entitled, arrogant and over-expectant as fans in the other major college football programs who have tasted success in the past 20 or 30 or 50 years.

I live in Tampa Bay. Perhaps that skews my perspective, given the Bucs miserable decade? LOL. Perhaps I was a little hardcore, but it remains my point that we, as fans, are considering for the second time in around a decade, firing a coach with a tremendous win percentage.

I know the losses are maddening, puzzling, and unacceptable. I think there are solutions aside from starting ALL OVER, again. Mack Brown at Texas was widely considered a fizzled pile of ash, just waiting to be scooped out the door a few weeks ago. Maybe that will still happen, but one coordinator change seems to have made a big difference there.

I would suggest, given the % of wins under Bo, that if we turn up the heat, we need to look closely at the underlying issues first. If those can be addressed, maybe we can see this turn around without going through the turmoil of changing out a whole staff, instituting new schemes, and going through another 5 year process of waiting to see if it pans out.

Our problems vary widely, so we need a powerful microscope. We need to look closely at Bo, of course, but more closely at other things. Our coordinators, everything. Especially our strength and conditioning and nutrition programs. Even our team psychologist and all the things we are trying to do to help the team grow together, mature together, and motivate them. Every detail counts.

On Saturday, it looked like we were getting blown off the line on both D and O, giving up 3-4 yards just because the other guys were moving better or stronger. That could be a physical thing, a mental thing. We need to find out what causes it, and why it seems to happen in only certain situations.

I am convinced this can be repaired, rather than destroyed and replaced.

And I say all this with utmost respect to opposing views. It is impossible, right now, to know what approach will work, if any at all.

Best wishes,

Flood

I live in Tampa Bay. Perhaps that skews my perspective, given the Bucs miserable decade? LOL. Perhaps I was a little hardcore, but it remains my point that we, as fans, are considering for the second time in around a decade, firing a coach with a tremendous win percentage.

I know the losses are maddening, puzzling, and unacceptable. I think there are solutions aside from starting ALL OVER, again. Mack Brown at Texas was widely considered a fizzled pile of ash, just waiting to be scooped out the door a few weeks ago. Maybe that will still happen, but one coordinator change seems to have made a big difference there.

I would suggest, given the % of wins under Bo, that if we turn up the heat, we need to look closely at the underlying issues first. If those can be addressed, maybe we can see this turn around without going through the turmoil of changing out a whole staff, instituting new schemes, and going through another 5 year process of waiting to see if it pans out.

Our problems vary widely, so we need a powerful microscope. We need to look closely at Bo, of course, but more closely at other things. Our coordinators, everything. Especially our strength and conditioning and nutrition programs. Even our team psychologist and all the things we are trying to do to help the team grow together, mature together, and motivate them. Every detail counts.

On Saturday, it looked like we were getting blown off the line on both D and O, giving up 3-4 yards just because the other guys were moving better or stronger. That could be a physical thing, a mental thing. We need to find out what causes it, and why it seems to happen in only certain situations.

I am convinced this can be repaired, rather than destroyed and replaced.

And I say all this with utmost respect to opposing views. It is impossible, right now, to know what approach will work, if any at all.

Best wishes,

Flood

you don't fix what ain't broke...signed Bo Pelini

Yup, 42 years. Longer than a lot of you have been alive. I came home from Viet Nam in 1971 just in time for The Game of the Century and became a solid rather than sometime member of Husker Nation. This is the first time in all that time that I have been embarrassed to wear a Husker cap, shirt or jacket on a Sunday after a game. Its not just Peleni, its a lot of things. Beck and Pap as OC and DC are in way over their heads. The S and C coach is stealing his salary. Not sure TO was a lot of help as AD other than to stabilize the program and get rid of Callahan. ( That is the first negative comment I have ever said about Ozzie.) The value of the walk on program, and I don't think it has been fully restored, has to do with young men who really want to be Nebraska Football Players and bring with them the fire and desire and the knowledge of Nebraska Traditions that were then passed on to those that came from other parts of the country. I once sat in the bar of the Holiday Inn in Winona, MN with Boyd Epley. We sat there for about 2 hours and talked Husker football. He told me that we had a lot of Nebraska kids playing on our lines because they were recruited based on bone structure because the coaching staff knew the S&C Program could build them into great All American players. The two lines we had one the field yesterday don't have a single person that even comes close to that description. The blame for the players rests squarely on their dedication to live up to what it means to be a Husker football player. Do I sound like I'm pissed off, well it should because I am. T_O_B

I feel your pain. But good times come, and good times go. But I will NEVER be embarrassed to wear Husker gear. NEVER.

Yup, 42 years. Longer than a lot of you have been alive. I came home from Viet Nam in 1971 just in time for The Game of the Century and became a solid rather than sometime member of Husker Nation. This is the first time in all that time that I have been embarrassed to wear a Husker cap, shirt or jacket on a Sunday after a game. Its not just Peleni, its a lot of things. Beck and Pap as OC and DC are in way over their heads. The S and C coach is stealing his salary. Not sure TO was a lot of help as AD other than to stabilize the program and get rid of Callahan. ( That is the first negative comment I have ever said about Ozzie.) The value of the walk on program, and I don't think it has been fully restored, has to do with young men who really want to be Nebraska Football Players and bring with them the fire and desire and the knowledge of Nebraska Traditions that were then passed on to those that came from other parts of the country. I once sat in the bar of the Holiday Inn in Winona, MN with Boyd Epley. We sat there for about 2 hours and talked Husker football. He told me that we had a lot of Nebraska kids playing on our lines because they were recruited based on bone structure because the coaching staff knew the S&C Program could build them into great All American players. The two lines we had one the field yesterday don't have a single person that even comes close to that description. The blame for the players rests squarely on their dedication to live up to what it means to be a Husker football player. Do I sound like I'm pissed off, well it should because I am. T_O_B

I feel your pain. But good times come, and good times go. But I will NEVER be embarrassed to wear Husker gear. NEVER.

I agree. Let's draw the line at these melodramtic farces, gang. Most college football teams haven't won five national championships in the last 43 years, and most professional sports franchises go 16 years or more between world championships, with plenty of losing seasons in between. Fans may bitch their heads off, but they still wear the colors cause that's just what you do.

And Flood, I sympathize with Tampa Bay's struggles this year, but the Bucs aren't an embarrassment.

The Jacksonville Jaguars on the other hand.....

Here goes.

HolyJeebus

50 years of dominance was lightning in a bottle? Ok.

The word "Entitled" is starting to piss me off. Entitled means you're not willing to work for it, that you just have it handed to you. Nobody here is expecting that. We all understand that it takes hard work to win and to win big. The team and coaching staff however don't seem to understand that, and that is really the big problem here. Clean house.

Reading TO's statement, everyone has gotten a bit short sighted.

Is this as bad as the Clownahan regime? I would think not. During his time here, he managed to smash records that had stood longer than many on this board had been alive. Are things bad, yeah, they're definitely not good, but no where near the level that Clownahan had lowered this program to...

....right, because the callahan era is the guage.

then you tell me, what is the gauge??

Reading TO's statement, everyone has gotten a bit short sighted.

....right, because the callahan era is the guage.

then you tell me, what is the gauge??

I don't have answers but I will say that once an argument for keeping a coach is based on "It's not as bad as the callahan era" then we have a problems.

• Fire 1