Tunnel Walk of Shame Speaks Out

Landlord

We can't just rely on tradition to get top recruits here anymore. These kids weren't even born the last time we won a MNC.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to be exactly like Oregon, but we need to build our own brand/story to get kids here. The gameday atmosphere needs a kick to get people excited again. Like beanman said, the tunnel walk just doesn't do it for some people anymore. The band does the same pregame/halftime show every week. Its like going to a Catholic mass. We are just a bunch of robots programed to do the same thing every weekend.

Do something that kicks some life into the fans at the game. Do things that will get top recruits excited to come play for Nebraska. I guess I just don't see whats wrong with trying something new. Not completely go away from our roots, but tweak things. The tradition is great, but it hasn't done anything for us in the last 15+ years.

Yes I understand that something needs to be done. But I think that its a little misdirected. The blue hairs are kind of an issue at the game, I get that.... But to act like we don't have a better gameday atmosphere than 90 percent of the country is blasphemous. I'd argue that we have a better gameday atmosphere than Wisonsin imo. The grass is always greener on the neighbors lawn. This is nebraska, we have one of, if not the best gameday atmospheres out there. Could we use some better music during the game? yes!!! (as i state in my comment) we do not have anyone capable of making the decisions like these that need to be made in our offices... we just don't. If its not 95 to 100%, the percentage of recruits that say yes after a home game visit has to be up there. Thats our bread and butter for getting recruits... if you get them to a home game, they will probably say yes. If you're a little bored, or you want to do the chicken dance in the stands, there is zero reason why that should affect on the field play. If you argue that doing a little dance in the stands is gonna bring more recruits and change the nebraska brand for the better, i'm going to so bullsh#t.

I never said change everything about the gameday experience. You don't even need to change "Sirius" Hire someone that can make a video that will get people pumped up. Every year the majority of people on this board talk about how stale the video was and how it was similar to the last season. There are people out there to make it better. Like someone said, the guys at WWE can edit a video to make two curtain jerkers look like main eventers. That made me laugh because its so true.

I also don't see the problem with doing something between the third and fourth quarter to get players and fans up on their feet. Isn't the fourth quarter the most important quarter after all? And the band doing something different every week like tOSU would also be cool. Keep the same pregame with all the fight songs and what not, but change the halftime show every week.

And I don't see the problem with creating a new website that catches your eye. Did you even go to the links in the article? As soon as you enter the Oregon site your first thought is "wow, this is pretty cool" You don't have that thought when going to the Husker website. Those little things can make people remember you. Recruit: "Hey man, did you check out the Husker website, that was pretty awesome! I learned a lot about the school and program." Those little things make all the difference in the world to get people to remember you.

I never said change everything about the gameday experience. You don't even need to change "Sirius" Hire someone that can make a video that will get people pumped up. Every year the majority of people on this board talk about how stale the video was and how it was similar to the last season. There are people out there to make it better. Like someone said, the guys at WWE can edit a video to make two curtain jerkers look like main eventers. That made me laugh because its so true.

I also don't see the problem with doing something between the third and fourth quarter to get players and fans up on their feet. Isn't the fourth quarter the most important quarter after all? And the band doing something different every week like tOSU would also be cool. Keep the same pregame with all the fight songs and what not, but change the halftime show every week.

And I don't see the problem with creating a new website that catches your eye. Did you even go to the links in the article? As soon as you enter the Oregon site your first thought is "wow, this is pretty cool" You don't have that thought when going to the Husker website. Those little things can make people remember you. Recruit: "Hey man, did you check out the Husker website, that was pretty awesome! I learned a lot about the school and program." Those little things make all the difference in the world to get people to remember you.

1. Completely agreed about the pump up/tunnel walk video.

2. Sure, doing something songwise *whenever* is a good idea. Don't get me wrong, i'm a musician for crying out loud.

3. New website? absolutely! Oregons website I pretty sweet, ours is pretty wack. I get it. By all means.

I guess I just don't think these should be a huge primary focus. I've studied marketing and read books on the importance of branding.. been to seminars. Nobody knows the importance of branding more than me. Oregon has done a hell of a job at getting into importance because of THEIR branding. But thats them. If we do it right and get the correct people involved, then i'm for it, and it should be a focus. I guess my issue is, which i'll probably be crucified for, is that I don't trust Nebraska/Nebraska offices with the handling of "cool". Branding is of extreme importance, i'll sing it from mountain tops. Hell, i'll yodel it. Which is why its way more important to NOT brand yourself the wrong way. I simply do not trust a re branding, outside of the-on the field product, for Nebraska. I think my feelings generally stem from the way that the new logo was handled, also 87% of the posts in the alternate uniform thread or the general views by the majority of husker fans when it comes to uniform change, the apparant HUUUUUGGGGGE influence that the alternate uniform thread has, the lack of a DECENT soundsystem in memorial for way past-way too long (the priority that is placed on the soundsystem), the fact that they recruited some local guy's way sub par music for the tunnel walk, that was blatantly bad, simply because hes in house, and then trashed it a year later [because it was so bad], basically a lot things. Call it what you want. Im sure my huskerboard likability went from around 10% to a 5%. I dont want to look like a jerk here, its just how i feel.

Look at it this way. Let's say we all rally together to change the brand for the better. We change it so that we think its really super duper and neato. We think we are shiny and polished now. Does it matter what we think, if the recruits all think we're trying too hard and come off corny? If that happens, then we're a bunch of cornballs who might've tainted our tradition a little....

I just think messing around with stuff can be dangerous here. Play amazing football with whoever. If you're gonna lose, lose playing your ass off. That takes care of a lot. Most of our recruits suck, but I think that Dobson has done a sh**ty ass job as of recent. Our D line, I don't care what year they're in, are out of shape. Thats gotta stand for something.

Nebraska has always been cool to me because of their minimalism uniforms/logos/branding which just so happen to be traditional as f#*k, and the way everyone plays with perfection and goes hard on the field. Those two combined are the best marketing scheme ever. I literally believe that. Its how the huskers got me, and how they got an entire "nation." I don't want that to change.

When the author is describing what schools like Oregon have to offer in the way of a story, compared to Nebraska, it's very important to realize that this message was the vision of the current head coach. Bo wasn't hired and told "recruit with this message". He was told "you're hired, build your program". Because it needed building.

Oh and you know who had major roles in the re-branding and "upgrades" at Ohio St and Oregon, his two examples? The coaches.

I'm all for tweaking our image for the better, but we don't need to invent anything and God Forbid we continue to copy Oregon. It's gotten Oregon zero national titles and it's gotten Nebraska stupid looking jerseys that get made fun of.

Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances and BCS games and conference championships than Nebraska in the modern era (BCS Era)

What has your "Tradition" done for you since football became a national sport rather than regional? Nothing. No National Titles, 1 Conference Title, You haven't lost less than 4 games in a season for 10 years. Even in 2003 you lost 3 games. Haven't been a threat on a national level since the 90's.

I am typically hopeful for Nebraska but when they take unwarranted shots at a program that has built itself into what it is right now, which is a national power, I get a little fired up. Put up or shut up, Oregon got a late start on building a national power, so that automatically makes them irrelevant? Good grief, Oregon has been far superior to Nebraska since 2000.

Excuse the harshness, but man that upsets me.

In the BCS era:

National titles played for: 1 for NU, 1 for Oregon.

My ultimate point was this, the article posted...not me.....pointed out that "Oregon had to invent something because they had no titles to build on" the articles words. Not mine.

I don't think Nebraska's model to success should be Oregon's. Nebraska doesn't have NIKE's marketing staff, and we seem to be less eager to pay recruits.

But hey sorry I sullied your one Rose Bowl victory, your beatdown at the hands of an Ohio St team NU can't seem to beat, a beatdown of a KState team that NU had no problem doing, and your annual bed pooping against an inferior opponent.

Honestly, you came to Nebraska board expecting what again?

Here is the "Do the Gopher" video for this season.

and one from last season:

shoot, just youtube "Do the Gopher" there are some pretty entertaining ones on there...the things people do when they see they are on camera.

Like I said, its fairly ridiculous but clearly fun and all the fans (not just the student section) get into it.

So what??? whats your point??? Dances will get us winning? We are toooooooo far gone here people. Too far gone.

Haha. All this conversation and you draw out of it that "Dances will get us winning"? Well done, sir, well done.

When the author is describing what schools like Oregon have to offer in the way of a story, compared to Nebraska, it's very important to realize that this message was the vision of the current head coach. Bo wasn't hired and told "recruit with this message". He was told "you're hired, build your program". Because it needed building. Oh and you know who had major roles in the re-branding and "upgrades" at Ohio St and Oregon, his two examples? The coaches. I'm all for tweaking our image for the better, but we don't need to invent anything and God Forbid we continue to copy Oregon. It's gotten Oregon zero national titles and it's gotten Nebraska stupid looking jerseys that get made fun of.
Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances and BCS games and conference championships than Nebraska in the modern era (BCS Era) What has your "Tradition" done for you since football became a national sport rather than regional? Nothing. No National Titles, 1 Conference Title, You haven't lost less than 4 games in a season for 10 years. Even in 2003 you lost 3 games. Haven't been a threat on a national level since the 90's. I am typically hopeful for Nebraska but when they take unwarranted shots at a program that has built itself into what it is right now, which is a national power, I get a little fired up. Put up or shut up, Oregon got a late start on building a national power, so that automatically makes them irrelevant? Good grief, Oregon has been far superior to Nebraska since 2000. Excuse the harshness, but man that upsets me.
If you read this thread carefully, Streeter, there's quite a bit of admiration for Oregon's program, Chip Kelly and the style of ball being played there. Looks like fun. Most of us are envious. The last poster was giving Kelly credit for both the rebuilding and branding. Never came close to calling Oregon irrelevent. Just the opposite, really. So I think you can absorb a modest jab about your jerseys, Phil Knight's money, and Nebraska's 5 - 0 lead in National Championships, right?

I suppose so. Living in Nebraska I get it alot, so its easy to get upset after hearing so many times...

Yea, I will lighten up.

When the author is describing what schools like Oregon have to offer in the way of a story, compared to Nebraska, it's very important to realize that this message was the vision of the current head coach. Bo wasn't hired and told "recruit with this message". He was told "you're hired, build your program". Because it needed building. Oh and you know who had major roles in the re-branding and "upgrades" at Ohio St and Oregon, his two examples? The coaches. I'm all for tweaking our image for the better, but we don't need to invent anything and God Forbid we continue to copy Oregon. It's gotten Oregon zero national titles and it's gotten Nebraska stupid looking jerseys that get made fun of.
Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances and BCS games and conference championships than Nebraska in the modern era (BCS Era) What has your "Tradition" done for you since football became a national sport rather than regional? Nothing. No National Titles, 1 Conference Title, You haven't lost less than 4 games in a season for 10 years. Even in 2003 you lost 3 games. Haven't been a threat on a national level since the 90's. I am typically hopeful for Nebraska but when they take unwarranted shots at a program that has built itself into what it is right now, which is a national power, I get a little fired up. Put up or shut up, Oregon got a late start on building a national power, so that automatically makes them irrelevant? Good grief, Oregon has been far superior to Nebraska since 2000. Excuse the harshness, but man that upsets me.
In the BCS era: National titles played for: 1 for NU, 1 for Oregon. My ultimate point was this, the article posted...not me.....pointed out that "Oregon had to invent something because they had no titles to build on" the articles words. Not mine. I don't think Nebraska's model to success should be Oregon's. Nebraska doesn't have NIKE's marketing staff, and we seem to be less eager to pay recruits. But hey sorry I sullied your one Rose Bowl victory, your beatdown at the hands of an Ohio St team NU can't seem to beat, a beatdown of a KState team that NU had no problem doing, and your annual bed pooping against an inferior opponent. Honestly, you came to Nebraska board expecting what again?

Oregon never paid any recruits. The one recruit that was allegedly recruited unfairly to Oregon, never played a snap for the Ducks. He's now at Baylor. Oregon was just getting started when they lost to Ohio State. Would have you beaten KState last season? No, you wouldn't have. Annual pooping the bed against an inferior opponent? What constitutes inferior? The same inferior that Nebraska loses 2-3 games to every year? ok, yea thats what I thought you meant, too.

You speak like Nebraska actually wins big games. Every nationally televised game Nebraska gets housed by 30+ points. What is most embarrassing, is that a program of elite status, is becoming Iowa's big brother with no clear path taking you back the other way.

2. Sure, doing something songwise *whenever* is a good idea. Don't get me wrong, i'm a musician for crying out loud.

3. New website? absolutely! Oregons website I pretty sweet, ours is pretty wack. I get it. By all means.

I guess I just don't think these should be a huge primary focus. I've studied marketing and read books on the importance of branding.. been to seminars. Nobody knows the importance of branding more than me. Oregon has done a hell of a job at getting into importance because of THEIR branding. But thats them. If we do it right and get the correct people involved, then i'm for it, and it should be a focus. I guess my issue is, which i'll probably be crucified for, is that I don't trust Nebraska/Nebraska offices with the handling of "cool". Branding is of extreme importance, i'll sing it from mountain tops. Hell, i'll yodel it. Which is why its way more important to NOT brand yourself the wrong way. I simply do not trust a re branding, outside of the-on the field product, for Nebraska. I think my feelings generally stem from the way that the new logo was handled, also 87% of the posts in the alternate uniform thread or the general views by the majority of husker fans when it comes to uniform change, the apparant HUUUUUGGGGGE influence that the alternate uniform thread has, the lack of a DECENT soundsystem in memorial for way past-way too long (the priority that is placed on the soundsystem), the fact that they recruited some local guy's way sub par music for the tunnel walk, that was blatantly bad, simply because hes in house, and then trashed it a year later [because it was so bad], basically a lot things. Call it what you want. Im sure my huskerboard likability went from around 10% to a 5%. I dont want to look like a jerk here, its just how i feel.

Look at it this way. Let's say we all rally together to change the brand for the better. We change it so that we think its really super duper and neato. We think we are shiny and polished now. Does it matter what we think, if the recruits all think we're trying too hard and come off corny? If that happens, then we're a bunch of cornballs who might've tainted our tradition a little....

I just think messing around with stuff can be dangerous here. Play amazing football with whoever. If you're gonna lose, lose playing your ass off. That takes care of a lot. Most of our recruits suck, but I think that Dobson has done a sh**ty ass job as of recent. Our D line, I don't care what year they're in, are out of shape. Thats gotta stand for something.

Nebraska has always been cool to me because of their minimalism uniforms/logos/branding which just so happen to be traditional as f#*k, and the way everyone plays with perfection and goes hard on the field. Those two combined are the best marketing scheme ever. I literally believe that. Its how the huskers got me, and how they got an entire "nation." I don't want that to change.

You make a lot of good points. What is your solution if the "in house" suits are not capable of making positive changes? Hire a consulting company or do nothing? Just curious....

In the BCS era: National titles played for: 1 for NU, 1 for Oregon. My ultimate point was this, the article posted...not me.....pointed out that "Oregon had to invent something because they had no titles to build on" the articles words. Not mine. I don't think Nebraska's model to success should be Oregon's. Nebraska doesn't have NIKE's marketing staff, and we seem to be less eager to pay recruits. But hey sorry I sullied your one Rose Bowl victory, your beatdown at the hands of an Ohio St team NU can't seem to beat, a beatdown of a KState team that NU had no problem doing, and your annual bed pooping against an inferior opponent. Honestly, you came to Nebraska board expecting what again?

Oregon never paid any recruits. The one recruit that was allegedly recruited unfairly to Oregon, never played a snap for the Ducks. He's now at Baylor. Oregon was just getting started when they lost to Ohio State. Would have you beaten KState last season? No, you wouldn't have. Annual pooping the bed against an inferior opponent? What constitutes inferior? The same inferior that Nebraska loses 2-3 games to every year? ok, yea thats what I thought you meant, too.

You speak like Nebraska actually wins big games. Every nationally televised game Nebraska gets housed by 30+ points. What is most embarrassing, is that a program of elite status, is becoming Iowa's big brother with no clear path taking you back the other way.

tumblr_mr3p6i8Up11qgnsnbo1_500.gif

Meh. Article has some interesting points. Author gives OSU credit but NU's Jack Hoffman story has been around longer and is better. Oregon has their Nike connection...good for them. Sure, let's advance on the techy stuff but winning cures all of this. When Alabama is losing...they are supposedly backwards hicks playing in an undesirable part of the country. When Alabama is winning...gee, are they the greatest football program ever? When Stanford is losing...loser tree-hugging worst mascot ever with a dorky band that gets more pub than the football team. When Stanford is winning...they have the best coaches around and are one of the best and most respected programs in college football. Same type of stuff can be said about Penn State (Ped U vs. LB U), Miami (Thugs vs. Program-rich with history and championships), OSU (Maurice Clarett, Tatoo-gate vs. Top 5 program every year guaranteed). WIN THE GAMES...AND YOU WILL BE RELEVANT.

Our example today is The Blackshirts and why I think it is vital we have a strong identity always, consistently, every year, (did I say always and consistently) on the defensive side of the ball. The Blackshirts are a huge brand with our fanbase but because of the poor coaching and play on the field has turned into a national punchline. How the hell did that happen so fast with a so-called defensive genius coming off the Suh years? That is proof alone that Pelini should exit. Sure we'd lose some games with him like 17-13, 14-10, 20-14...but at least the Blackshirts would kick some ass doing it. I hate that our defense is the laughing stock of college football. That is a total collapse of our brand identity and the ripping out of the heart of the team. Sad but true.

• Fire 3

The WWE video editing staff could make Funaki vs Scotty 2 Hotty look like Macho Man vs Steamboat.

Those of you who get that reference likely now know my first love as it pertains to sports.

TOp notch video team, hell yes bring em on.

please stop complitmenting kevin dunn

signed

every wrestling fan ever.

To address one point of that article - from my understanding the AD has attempted for years to get licensing rights to some Johnny Cash music. But if they had gotten the music, I believe it was going to be somehow used during the Tunnel Walk.

The issue are that the fees for alot of Cash's music is rather expensive. The money is available, but the AD is still apprehensive about spending alot of money on the music knowing that folks are not fond of change to certain things with the program.

Remember DJ Mikey Bo and the reaction that simple change got?

That Mikey Bo thing was totally blown out of proportion. He didn't create a new song, he just added some effects to Sirius and threw in an intro. And only about a third of the stadium can hear the sound system during the Tunnelwalk anyway.

Just keep Sirius but do an awesome pre-Tunnelwalk segment like the Epoc days, then hire a legitimate production crew to actually make an awesome Tunnelwalk video with respectable CGI. Then upgrade the damn sound system and BOOM, you're completely golden.

Now, if you want raucous reactions like VT's pre-game... well, good luck. That has nothing to do with song choice and everything to do with the fan base. Nebraska's is older and calmer. That comes with pluses and minuses.

Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances

Appearance. Oregon has done well this past decade with conference wins and BCS bowl games.

I really don't understand how they do so well when they change their uniforms all the time. Their fanbase must be outraged at all the winning they do.

You make a lot of good points. What is your solution if the "in house" suits are not capable of making positive changes? Hire a consulting company or do nothing? Just curious....

I guess there are a lot of questions at this point.... I would have a lot more clearer suggestion at the end of the season. At this point, replace the soundsystem (which I understand is next in line after the expansion) and then we can talk in game music directors/dj's, otherwise don't make drastic changes. But yes, at some point hire a consulting company with help on the website. We could do something similar to Oregon's website and still keep our identity.

Replace the soundsystem and you'll be amazed at how many people just start dancing out of the blue during the game. Play a song over and over on a good soundsystem and all of a sudden you have a dance. I highly doubt all of Wisconsin got together and huddled up and was like... "alright guys, lets do a dance." They played jump around and people jumped around. Good sound solves lots.

K-State has half of what we have in every single field, and they didn't have a problem almost making a title run with juco players. Fix it on the field first.... bells and whistles aren't any kind of fix for us.

• Fire 1