Has our defense improved in the last two games?

Hayseed

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that the D gives up 24 to NW, i would've counted it as a win. I'm not sure anyone can argue that D played well for most of the game and did their job. What we will see next week is an entirely different story.

You serious? I'm not sure anyone can argue that our defense didn't play well for most of that game.

We started out terrible. But what did Northwestern do after the first quarter?

A whole lot of nothing, is the answer. 2-14 on third down conversions, less than 40% completion percentage for 80 yards passing, etc.

No.

Why do you say no?

I misread the thread title as "...last two years".

As for the last two games? Like, Minnesota and Northwestern? Two poor teams that ate us alive with their running game, one with their 5th string RB? Meh.

10-4

Play VV and we get better. That way the whole DL doesn't need to worry about stuffing the middle. He is the most important player on our defense.

We have 6ft3 330lbs of run-stuffing awesomeness that we didn't utilize against Minnesota.

Actually if you chart out the season we play better when Curry is in there.

Play VV and we get better. That way the whole DL doesn't need to worry about stuffing the middle. He is the most important player on our defense.

We have 6ft3 330lbs of run-stuffing awesomeness that we didn't utilize against Minnesota.

Actually if you chart out the season we play better when Curry is in there.

FIFY

Actually if you chart out the season we play better when Curry is in there when Randle isn't in there.

I just think about what our front 7 will look like next year without randle and ankrah. should be something like moss, gregory, curry? valentine, bando, gerry, santos, rose.... should be very good athletically without any "chosen" seniors that never lose their job.

Yeah, I would say Moss, Curry, Vaneltine and McMullen with Maurice and Collins working in on the line. Gregory either DE or OLB depending on the scheme. Bando, Santos, Rose, Afalava and Anderson with Newby and Love to help at LB. Plus Gerry depending on where he goes. That's a lot of guys to pick from. And they'll all be here for at least two more years except Anderson.

I just think about what our front 7 will look like next year without randle and ankrah. should be something like moss, gregory, curry? valentine, bando, gerry, santos, rose.... should be very good athletically without any "chosen" seniors that never lose their job.

Yeah, I would say Moss, Curry, Vaneltine and McMullen with Maurice and Collins working in on the line. Gregory either DE or OLB depending on the scheme. Bando, Santos, Rose, Afalava and Anderson with Newby and Love to help at LB. Plus Gerry depending on where he goes. That's a lot of guys to pick from. And they'll all be here for at least two more years except Anderson.

OMG...Santos has been terrible.

Yes. And you're absolutely sure he won't improve in the next two years?

Yes. And you're absolutely sure he won't improve in the next two years?

he's certainly regressed from last year. i NEVER see him hustling to the ball. for some reason the last couple of games i've kept an eye on him, and it's painful to watch. i was a HUGE santos fan after that first wisconsin game, and couldn't figure out why he drifted off towards the end of the season last year. now i know why. he's the slowest, least talented of the LBers IMO...and it's by a wide margin.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that the D gives up 24 to NW, i would've counted it as a win. I'm not sure anyone can argue that D played well for most of the game and did their job. What we will see next week is an entirely different story.

You serious? I'm not sure anyone can argue that our defense didn't play well for most of that game.

We started out terrible. But what did Northwestern do after the first quarter?

A whole lot of nothing, is the answer. 2-14 on third down conversions, less than 40% completion percentage for 80 yards passing, etc.

I was trying to say that the D played well against NW. It didn't quite come out that way.......

I like the idea of CJax back to CB. Didnt think about Gerry in the nickel. I think CJax would be a great Nickelback as well because of his tackling ability.

I hadn't thought about Gerry in the Nickel until just as I was typing that. But he has the speed and likes to hit so it might be a good fit. I still think we need some play-makers at Safety, which is why I'd like to see Gerry back there. I'm not impressed with Cooper (too slow, imo) or HJax. Alexander has looked OK in the chances he's gotten and maybe Singleton will develop.

Saw a quote from TJ about Gerry not playing as much lately. Said it was mostly to do with matchups. Also said he thinks he has a "very bright future" and could see him being an All Big Ten player ot either LB or Safety. At least TJ still wants him back! :thumbs