Frost to Shaw connection

Interesting article in light of tonight's Oregon vs. Stanford game.

In September 1994, freshman Scott Frost played mostly at safety. But in a game against Oregon, coach Bill Walsh gave him the shot he wanted at quarterback.

Frost threw the first touchdown pass of his college career. It was also the last touchdown catch in the college career of one David Shaw, now Stanford's head coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Once-a-Stanford-QB-Frost-helps-Oregon-fly-now-4958481.php#photo-5421057

Would love to see us bring Shaw to Lincoln...maybe he can bring Frost too. ;)

In September 1994, freshman Scott Frost played mostly at safety. But in a game against Oregon, coach Bill Walsh gave him the shot he wanted at quarterback.

Frost threw the first touchdown pass of his college career. It was also the last touchdown catch in the college career of one David Shaw, now Stanford's head coach.

http://www.sfgate.co...p#photo-5421057

Yeah, I'd love to have a billion dollars, but that's not happening any time soon either.

http://www.sfgate.co...p#photo-5421057

There's a better chance of me becoming the next HC at Nebraska, than David Shaw.

Watching that game last night made me yearn for old school power football at Nebraska again, but Beck has to be multiple and ruin the fun.

Watching that game last night made me think of all the posters here on HuskerBoard who wish we could play like that.

Stanford proved it can still be done -- with a talented senior-laden offensive line -- but how rare is it to see ball control at that level? Against a well respected defense? Gotta admit, as ugly as a 3.7 yard rush can be, that was almost beautiful.

That was the thing about Tyler Gaffney. He rushed the ball 45 times for a 3.7 yard average. But it didn't seem like an average of the high and low. It looked like he just got 3.7 yards every time he carried the ball.

Last night Stanford ran the ball 66 times and threw 13. The vast majority of runs were between the tackles for 3-4 yards. Nothing really sophisticated last night, just pound the rock and make Oregon cry. (Which they literally did)

Between the tackles was definitely working for Stanford last night. There are games when it doesn't, though, and Shaw and Harbaugh both executed a "take what the defense gives you" approach using the dreaded "mulitple" strategy to great effect. If you think Beck is too cute, Harbaugh would drive you crazy. Except for all that constant winning.

Most coaches -- college and pro -- would love to stick with a running game, and often do when it's working. But once you announce your intention to run, most defenses will tighten up. It takes a helluva offensive line to exert its will for a whole game, like Stanford did last night and Nebraska did many, many times in the past. By the third and fourth quarter, Oregon knew what Stanford was going to run but didn't have a way to stop it.

You think Stanford's not multiple and sophisticated? I didn't watch, but at least under Harbaugh they were running quite the pro-style, sophisticated offense. If anything, our own offense is simpler than theirs. By far.

I agree with you in general (not by far, but multiple) but that wasn't the case last night. They probably lined up in a double-tight I about 80% of the time and ran the power play about 40 times. Jesse Palmer called the play before it happened probably 15 times and he was right every time. Oregon just couldn't stop it.