Is it just me or is Michigan State not THAT good...

My point was not to discount the long run, it was to point out that we're good at making adjustments. At no point did I try to say that it was a fluke or make excuses for the fact that it happened.

I don't mean to excuse my post, but . . .

Also, please enlighten me as to how "the Purdue game was an aberration" equates to me saying that MSU is the best team in the country.

I didn't intend for that to come across as you saying that MSU is the best team in the country. I was just relaying my own feelings after looking closer at specific instances of poor play and/or losses.

Michigan state is going to load the box and run blitz the hell out of our O-line. Tommy must make some great throws to loosen up the defense and force the safeties to play honest, or we will be in for a long day. He will have to play the best game of his short career for NU to win. We will not be able to win by running the ball 70% of the game.

Agreed. I'm just a little confused about the brimming confidence from MSU fans.

Stop me if you've heard this before:

MSU team with extremely hyped defense is favored to beat Nebraska and . . . __________________________.

I think that I'll wait and see. MSU deserves to be favored at this point but I don't think that anyone except MSU fans would be shocked if Nebraska won in Lincoln.

Not really sure how much more the MSU D has to do to gain any respect.

To be fair, MSU's D has the respect of basically anyone who isn't entirely delusional or batsh#t insane.

Excellent reasoning!

Well not really. Now anyone who doesn't agree that MSU's D has to have respect is lumped in with delusional or insane people. Still, you've committed a logical fallacy and used a rhetorical device to hammer your point home so it really doesn't mean much.

MSU's defense will demand respect if they shut down our rushing offense. We're the highest ranked one they've faced all year so far. Until then, no conclusions can be made except that they have shut down some of the worst offenses in college football in games to this point.

You know what, you're right, I'll concede your first point. It was wrong of me to basically say people that don't respect that defense are crazies.

But they have done a lot in recent years to earn their reputation as a stout defense. And I don't think Nebraska having a good day running the ball on them will do a whole lot to change that reputation.

That defense will still be towards the top of the college football heap.

I agree that turnover battle is #1, but the run game is #2. If Abdullah gets going and busts some big ones then MSU will have to play a lot less aggressive in defending the option and that opens things up a lot for TA. If MSU's run game gets going then Nebraska's D is going to be battling uphill on TOP which is how we typically like to dictate games.

Has MSU faced any option this season? I've watched some MSU games and haven't seen a single option play run against their defense. Since option is a classic counter to blitzes, I'm excited to see if NU challenges the blitz with speed and lead options. Ameer could really hurt them on the edges with some good option calls. Also throwing to Ameer in the flats may be effective. Denicos Allen has the speed to get outside with Ameer, but Bullough and the other LB (forgot his name) don't look to have the lateral quickness.

Allen is the best defender for MSU, IMO. That guy tackles well, takes on blockers, and has good speed. Hopefully NU can get into the right play calls to take advantage when Allen blitzes.

YSU used some option, Indiana used the option a lot against us but their scheme is not really the same as Nebraska's. UM tried to use the option but the DL was in the backfield essentially from the snap so that didn't really work. Allen does have speed to the outside. The weakside LB Taiwan Jones is actually pretty fast for his size (6'3 250lbs) and was really good in defending Indiana's lateral attacks with their speed guys. He should actually be a big benefit against the option. Bullough is definitely our best overall defender though. No question.

I agree that turnover battle is #1, but the run game is #2. If Abdullah gets going and busts some big ones then MSU will have to play a lot less aggressive in defending the option and that opens things up a lot for TA. If MSU's run game gets going then Nebraska's D is going to be battling uphill on TOP which is how we typically like to dictate games.

Has MSU faced any option this season? I've watched some MSU games and haven't seen a single option play run against their defense. Since option is a classic counter to blitzes, I'm excited to see if NU challenges the blitz with speed and lead options. Ameer could really hurt them on the edges with some good option calls. Also throwing to Ameer in the flats may be effective. Denicos Allen has the speed to get outside with Ameer, but Bullough and the other LB (forgot his name) don't look to have the lateral quickness.

Allen is the best defender for MSU, IMO. That guy tackles well, takes on blockers, and has good speed. Hopefully NU can get into the right play calls to take advantage when Allen blitzes.

YSU used some option, Indiana used the option a lot against us but their scheme is not really the same as Nebraska's. UM tried to use the option but the DL was in the backfield essentially from the snap so that didn't really work. Allen does have speed to the outside. The weakside LB Taiwan Jones is actually pretty fast for his size (6'3 250lbs) and was really good in defending Indiana's lateral attacks with their speed guys. He should actually be a big benefit against the option. Bullough is definitely our best overall defender though. No question.

Both Jones and Bullough are pretty fast for their size, but IMO not fast enough to cover Ameer in the flat. I wouldn't be at all surprised for NU to try and get Bullough matched up in coverage. Bullough is intelligent, good leader, great taking on and getting off blocks, but he's too stiff in coverage. I'd be more than happy with any of our backs, TE, or WR against Bullough in space. Bullough gets the most hype and pub, but Allen is still the best defender on your D IMO, although I'm sure I've seen less of MSU than you.

Both Jones and Bullough are pretty fast for their size, but IMO not fast enough to cover Ameer in the flat. I wouldn't be at all surprised for NU to try and get Bullough matched up in coverage. Bullough is intelligent, good leader, great taking on and getting off blocks, but he's too stiff in coverage. I'd be more than happy with any of our backs, TE, or WR against Bullough in space. Bullough gets the most hype and pub, but Allen is still the best defender on your D IMO, although I'm sure I've seen less of MSU than you.

Bullough's value is more than just his play. He is like having another DC on the field. He's not elite in coverage but he's not a liability either. He's also the MLB, so i'm not entirely sure why he'd be matched up with Abdullah in the flats barring a total defensive breakdown. Across the middle maybe you'd get that matchup (Abdullah out of the slot or something) but in that case I'd be surprised if we didn't try to keep a safety somewhat low to help. Abdullah is the biggest threat on your team unless proven otherwise.

Spartan, been great having you on here. Your information and your opinions are very enlightening and brought with the true sense of a college football fan. Love your team, but have respect for your opponent. Sometimes some on this board forget that part. Have a love for history, that they seem to think plays a part in the game.

I hope it is a good game. I am very concerned about our mash unit Oline against what is one of, if not the best Defenses in the country. We have not played anyone of your caliber either. Unfortunately I have not followed you guys very closely this year, but one thing for certain, our fans are the only ones giving us a chance in this game. Most outside the state of Nebraska feel it is not even going to be close. If the same team that played the first seven and half game shows up, you guys roll. If the team that has played the 6 quarters shows up, we have a chance and it will be a very good game. This is our litmus test I think. We are all hoping that the defense has turned the corner.

Good luck to you guys, no injuries and we witness a great game.

Again thanks for your informative posts. I have really enjoyed them.

• Fire 1

The biggest problem Nebraska has this year is Sam Foltz. He hasn't been having a good year and I think everyone agrees that there will be a lot of punting on Saturday.

Yes, some of his punts have been ridiculously short.............this game is going to come down to field position and field goals IMO.

This why I see NU going down this year. MSU will make us pay for any bad punts.

The biggest problem Nebraska has this year is Sam Foltz. He hasn't been having a good year and I think everyone agrees that there will be a lot of punting on Saturday.

Yes, some of his punts have been ridiculously short.............this game is going to come down to field position and field goals IMO.

My question is when the heck are we going to finally use our punter that can run a 4.4 40-yard-dash on a fake. Seriously.

My question is when the heck are we going to finally use our punter that can run a 4.4 40-yard-dash on a fake. Seriously.

Might see it this game if we don't have a choice!

I love all the confidence Husker fans are putting into this thread. But the base of the pyramid is defense, and Sparty has that in spades. Their offense has proven they can score points in bunches against bad defenses. Against the best offense they've faced, healthy and with all their main guns firing, Sparty's D gave up 28 points - half of which came when the game was already a blowout.

Nebraska is bringing a very injured, inconsistent and turnover-prone offense into this game. Our O Line is a patchwork and without three starters. Two thirds of our starting WR corps is hobbled, if not out entirely. We have a fantastic running back, but he's got a banged-up line blocking for him against a very stout run D.

We start a QB making his sixth career start, whose TD/INT ratio is abysmal. Whose knee is three months off being scoped. His backup is a game QB with two bad knees, who has also been known to throw ill-advised passes. The QB who torched this defense for 200+ yards last year may never take another snap for this team again.

Our defense has played great football - for the last six quarters. The six quarters before that, they gave up 55 points and over 100 yards of offense per quarter. When Sparty has faced spotty defenses they have scored around 30 points a game. If the Blackshirts who faced Michigan show up, Sparty may score no more than 10-17 points.

But against that defense, with our offense, that may be more than enough.

I'll be shouting myself hoarse for four quarters this Saturday. But I don't think a victory will be easy, and I for certain don't expect a victory.

Give Sparty props. Offensive inconsistency aside, they have a stellar defense. And that scares the crap outta me.