Sip - feeling like 2003

da skers

I think it's pretty funny that both of the upper tier writers for the two major newspapers in the state wrote "2003" articles within two days of each other.

2003 was probably a little different than now. The first game of that season had Nebraska winning against a ranked Oklahoma St team, and LOTS of support with past lettermen on the field in a show of solidarity for a coach who was operating under some pretty heady ultimatum's.

(And in hindsight, he was in an unwinnable situation. He was told to go get new assistants, he did, he was then told he paid too much for them, and was then told that if he was on thin ice, and any slip ups would probably mean his job. Anyway, sorry for a tangent, back we go)

As the season went on, there were several disappointments along the way. Sure, Nebraska avenged a bad loss to Penn St the previous year, but it was a Penn St team that was a shell of the previous years version, and Nebraska looked very pedestrian in doing so. Then, a top ten ranked Nebraska team strolled into Columbia and got shelled by an unranked Mizzou team. After getting healthy against the bottom end of conference, it walked into Austin and got shelled by a Texas team starting a freshman QB and was ranked below Nebraska. Then, after beating Kansas, it had KState at home and got embarrassed. (KState was pretty damn good that year). Everyone says now Frank knew he was cooked after the home loss, which would explain his near collapse as he walked out to greet the CU coach after the narrow win.

The differences between that and this year:

-Nebraska was ranked the entire season, and got as high as 10th in the nation.

-Credit where it's due on those losses, Mizzou had a pretty damn good team in the making. That freshman QB Texas started turned out to be better than average (sarcasm, I know it was Vince Young)

-This was the first time a Nebraska coach was starting with a clean slate of new coordinators since the pre-Devaney days. And it was happening with a new athletic director who was nursing an agenda and not much else. (God I'll never understand how Steve Pedersen had no plan when it was becoming clear in September he wanted Solich out)

We're looking at a team now that was tenuously ranked to begin the year, and knew full well that if it lost to UCLA, that ranking was probably gone, likely for the season. Is 2013 UCLA better than 03 Mizzou? Oh yeah, no question, but 2013 Minnesota isn't on the same planet as 03 Texas. And this iteration of the Big Ten isn't close to the XII that year. Hell, 2003's NU team walks to the Legends title. Or more appropriately, runs an option to the short side to the Legends title.

This team also has tenured assistants and coordinators, all hand picked by the coach, in place. Papuchus isn't a young, fiery Bo Pelini that already had bookstores selling shirts with his name on it. Beck isn't the first play caller that isn't the head coach since the Johnson administration for Nebraska.

Ultimately, the biggest things for me here goes like this:

- the 2013 version of the Nebraska Cornhuskers is pretty damn reflective of Bo Pelini's vision, where 2003 was sold to the fans as a new beginning. Bo has had opportunities to build something that Frank Solich never had. Not even close.

-The 2004 Cornhuskers were likely going to be bad even if Frank was the coach. There was a new QB coming in that had seen minimal if any time (btw, if you ever wanted to know Frank's biggest shortcoming as a coach, there it is. He was absolutely terrible at handling and preparing his quarterbacks), and the offense was already sputtering. Whereas, in my opinion, 2014 probably will result in at least 8 wins for Nebraska, regardless of the coach. Plus, there's legit talent scattered all over this team, and a finished product in the way of facilities. Frank constantly showed kids facilities covered in tarps in places and skeletal frames of future facilities, never to be used by the kid.

Basically, just to quit blathering, Nebraska's in a better spot for a change than it was ten years ago should one occur. Lots of people, but namely Tom Osborne, are to thank for that. So we should stop trying to scare people with tales of 2003.

• Fire 5

I think it's pretty funny that both of the upper tier writers for the two major newspapers in the state wrote "2003" articles within two days of each other.

2003 was probably a little different than now. The first game of that season had Nebraska winning against a ranked Oklahoma St team, and LOTS of support with past lettermen on the field in a show of solidarity for a coach who was operating under some pretty heady ultimatum's.

(And in hindsight, he was in an unwinnable situation. He was told to go get new assistants, he did, he was then told he paid too much for them, and was then told that if he was on thin ice, and any slip ups would probably mean his job. Anyway, sorry for a tangent, back we go)

As the season went on, there were several disappointments along the way. Sure, Nebraska avenged a bad loss to Penn St the previous year, but it was a Penn St team that was a shell of the previous years version, and Nebraska looked very pedestrian in doing so. Then, a top ten ranked Nebraska team strolled into Columbia and got shelled by an unranked Mizzou team. After getting healthy against the bottom end of conference, it walked into Austin and got shelled by a Texas team starting a freshman QB and was ranked below Nebraska. Then, after beating Kansas, it had KState at home and got embarrassed. (KState was pretty damn good that year). Everyone says now Frank knew he was cooked after the home loss, which would explain his near collapse as he walked out to greet the CU coach after the narrow win.

The differences between that and this year:

-Nebraska was ranked the entire season, and got as high as 10th in the nation.

-Credit where it's due on those losses, Mizzou had a pretty damn good team in the making. That freshman QB Texas started turned out to be better than average (sarcasm, I know it was Vince Young)

-This was the first time a Nebraska coach was starting with a clean slate of new coordinators since the pre-Devaney days. And it was happening with a new athletic director who was nursing an agenda and not much else. (God I'll never understand how Steve Pedersen had no plan when it was becoming clear in September he wanted Solich out)

We're looking at a team now that was tenuously ranked to begin the year, and knew full well that if it lost to UCLA, that ranking was probably gone, likely for the season. Is 2013 UCLA better than 03 Mizzou? Oh yeah, no question, but 2013 Minnesota isn't on the same planet as 03 Texas. And this iteration of the Big Ten isn't close to the XII that year. Hell, 2003's NU team walks to the Legends title. Or more appropriately, runs an option to the short side to the Legends title.

This team also has tenured assistants and coordinators, all hand picked by the coach, in place. Papuchus isn't a young, fiery Bo Pelini that already had bookstores selling shirts with his name on it. Beck isn't the first play caller that isn't the head coach since the Johnson administration for Nebraska.

Ultimately, the biggest things for me here goes like this:

- the 2013 version of the Nebraska Cornhuskers is pretty damn reflective of Bo Pelini's vision, where 2003 was sold to the fans as a new beginning. Bo has had opportunities to build something that Frank Solich never had. Not even close.

-The 2004 Cornhuskers were likely going to be bad even if Frank was the coach. There was a new QB coming in that had seen minimal if any time (btw, if you ever wanted to know Frank's biggest shortcoming as a coach, there it is. He was absolutely terrible at handling and preparing his quarterbacks), and the offense was already sputtering. Whereas, in my opinion, 2014 probably will result in at least 8 wins for Nebraska, regardless of the coach. Plus, there's legit talent scattered all over this team, and a finished product in the way of facilities. Frank constantly showed kids facilities covered in tarps in places and skeletal frames of future facilities, never to be used by the kid.

Basically, just to quit blathering, Nebraska's in a better spot for a change than it was ten years ago should one occur. Lots of people, but namely Tom Osborne, are to thank for that. So we should stop trying to scare people with tales of 2003.

This. So much this.

If a change needs to be made, this is how we need to look at it. I am, much like our AD, waiting until the end of the regular season to decide how I really feel and I will not allow actions from a decade ago influence how I feel.

Unfortunately when talking about firing someone, you are talking about affecting his life, his family and his home. Being a father of two, getting fired from my job would be somewhat catastrophic, at least for a short time. I don't make the money Bo makes though either.

It's not a conversation to take lightly, but I also recognize the emotions of being a football fan. I appreciate people who are passionate about things they care about. Sometimes maybe football shouldn't be so,high on the list of things you care about, but hell, who am I to judge.

One thing is certain in my mind. Guys like me, and guys like Bo land on their feet. Bo will be fine if he leaves here. Bo has a lot of knowledge in this game. A ton. Where Bo seems to be lacking is getting that knowledge translated onto the field. Maybe some changes in his scheme, changes on his staff, or changes in his coaching methods may have helped him. I'm not saying Bo hasn't learned some things along the way, because he has, but this fan base and university is hardly the place patient enough for on the job learning. It just not the way the world is anymore in any walk of life.

The word going around is Bo and UNL have already agreed that it may be best for both parties to simply part ways at this point. Obviously I have no way of knowing the truth behind that. I know this, Bo is getting better, but he has hardly shown the willingness to make the changes that I would see as necessary at this point.

I wish him luck if he stays or goes.....I just don't want to ever see a game like I saw last Saturday ever again.

• Fire 1

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

Must be nice to be able to do a job where everyone literally expects nothing from you.

Unfortunately when talking about firing someone, you are talking about affecting his life, his family and his home. Being a father of two, getting fired from my job would be somewhat catastrophic, at least for a short time. I don't make the money Bo makes though either.

It's not a conversation to take lightly, but I also recognize the emotions of being a football fan. I appreciate people who are passionate about things they care about. Sometimes maybe football shouldn't be so,high on the list of things you care about, but hell, who am I to judge.

One thing is certain in my mind. Guys like me, and guys like Bo land on their feet. Bo will be fine if he leaves here. Bo has a lot of knowledge in this game. A ton. Where Bo seems to be lacking is getting that knowledge translated onto the field. Maybe some changes in his scheme, changes on his staff, or changes in his coaching methods may have helped him. I'm not saying Bo hasn't learned some things along the way, because he has, but this fan base and university is hardly the place patient enough for on the job learning. It just not the way the world is anymore in any walk of life.

The word going around is Bo and UNL have already agreed that it may be best for both parties to simply part ways at this point. Obviously I have no way of knowing the truth behind that. I know this, Bo is getting better, but he has hardly shown the willingness to make the changes that I would see as necessary at this point.

I wish him luck if he stays or goes.....I just don't want to ever see a game like I saw last Saturday ever again.

Well said.

I respect the Hell out of Bo Pelini as a man, and he'll land on his feet.

As for Bo and NU agreeing to amicably part ways........probably so. This board might get really interesting after the Iowa game.

Where Bo seems to be lacking is getting that knowledge translated onto the field.

I disagree, with 2003 Nebraska, Oklahoma, LSU, and 2009-2010 Nebraska as my evidence.

Where Bo seems to be lacking is sharpening his players into mental and emotional consistency in preparation for playing football.

Other than the people who Bo personally pissed off for what ever reason, I think that Most people that "hate" Bo are probably self absorbed little bitches who more than likely stomped like little girls when they didn't get their way growing up. I personally do not have a problem with the guy. I cheer for the team to win and wished Bo luck before the game Saturday. I also believe that if he doesn't get the job done he was hired for than the people that hired him and current administration have every right to fire him. I just don't see it happening unless we would drop the next two games badly.

Where Bo seems to be lacking is getting that knowledge translated onto the field.

I disagree, with 2003 Nebraska, Oklahoma, LSU, and 2009-2010 Nebraska as my evidence.

Where Bo seems to be lacking is sharpening his players into mental and emotional consistency in preparation for playing football.

I disagree, with multiple lapses on defense, 6 of 10 worst defensive performances all time, multiple blowouts, players throwing their hands up looking confused, countless numbers of times hearing of talented guys not getting time due to the mental aspect of the scheme (CJ being the latest victim), countless times where either adjustments were not made or players were not able to execute it, and a Head Coach who as of the last two years has almost seemingly said himself he doesn't know why the guys aren't executing what they are coaching. If the HC says, we are teaching them and they just aren't executing it, is that not by definition something being lost in translation somewhere? It is the definition, thats rhetorical question.

I'm trying to be polite about it bud but if you want to use your positives over the last few years to counter my point, you will realize there are just as many negatives to come right back with.

I disagree, with multiple lapses on defense, 6 of 10 worst defensive performances all time, multiple blowouts, players throwing their hands up looking confused, countless numbers of times hearing of talented guys not getting time due to the mental aspect of the scheme (CJ being the latest victim), countless times where either adjustments were not made or players were not able to execute it, and a Head Coach who as of the last two years has almost seemingly said himself he doesn't know why the guys aren't executing what they are coaching. If the HC says, we are teaching them and they just aren't executing it, is that not by definition something being lost in translation somewhere? It is the definition, thats rhetorical question.

I'm trying to be polite about it bud but if you want to use your positives over the last few years to counter my point, you will realize there are just as many negatives to come right back with.

The difference, as I see it, is that your evidence works towards my point as much as it works towards yours, and my evidence works against yours.

If Bo was lacking getting that knowledge translated onto the field, then there shouldn't be evidence that he has had great success translating his knowledge to the field. But there is. There is a lot of it.

So a team lets the other team go 5 of 8 on third down. They surrender 628 yard of offense even though they controlled the clock 35 mins to 25 mins and allowed 5.1 yards per rush to the other team. They still won. I'm sorry that doesn't tell the whole store. This is a very good team.

If people don't see the difference between taking a program that's never done anything and turning it into a title contender and taking a proven program on a hiccup and getting them to an improved level but still a level that's below their standard then i have nothing to say.

One coach also had RG3. And is located in Texas. Once you get a school in Texas on the map, it is much easier to recruit there.

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

Not sure....can you tell me what kind of injuries Baylor has had on their offense this year?

I believe they were forced to start their third string running back on Saturday, and he got 182 yards on 22 carries. They also lost their star wide receiver for the season.

Now lets see them lose Petty and 4/5ths of their starting O Line.

If you believe that the only way the team can win the big games is to have the current coach be removed from the program, that is fine. Keep those thoughts to yourself and don't act as giddy as a schoolgirl when things happen that might turn things your way.

You don't celebrate losses by the current team to celebrate potential wins for future teams. To illustrate my point, to everyone who likes when we lose because losing makes Bo Pelini one step closer to being fired, go up to [i don't know] Ameer Abdullah, Quincy Enunwa, Jeremiah Sirles, and try explaining that to them.

• Fire 1

So a team lets the other team go 5 of 8 on third down. They surrender 628 yard of offense even though they controlled the clock 35 mins to 25 mins and allowed 5.1 yards per rush to the other team. They still won. I'm sorry that doesn't tell the whole store. This is a very good team.

This team would be Bama by the way.