Sip - feeling like 2003

da skers

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

Briles also went 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5, and now finally 9-0.

If you're trying to make a point it's not working.

So, you don't see improvement from when Briles took over to where Baylor is now?

• Fire 1

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

He probably does feel that way - doesn't mean he should be happy with a huge grin about it. That's not something to be joyful about.

Except for the fact that Baylor was never ANYTHING before Briles got there and Nebraska has a long standing history.

• Fire 2

So, you don't see improvement from when Briles took over to where Baylor is now?

The same can be said about Bo and Nebraska. We went 5-7 in 2007, the next season we won 9 games.

• Fire 1

From 2000 to 2007 preceding Briles' arrival at Baylor

2-9

3-8

3-9

3-9

3-8

5-6

4-8

3-9

Record from 2008 to present

4-8

4-8

7-6

10-3

8-5

9-0*

From 2000 to 2007 preceding Pelini's arrival at Nebraska

10-2

11-2

7-7

10-3

5-6

8-4

9-5

5-7

Record from 2008 to present

9-4

10-4

10-4

9-4

10-4

7-3*

To suggest they took over similar programs is silly.

• Fire 2

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

Not sure....can you tell me what kind of injuries Baylor has had on their offense this year?

Sure I see improvement, so what? Improvement doesn't = better coaching. If it did, then Nick Saban isn't really very good since his teams haven't really improved much in the last few years. It would have been harder for Art Briles NOT to improve he started at the bottom.

The post you quoted stated that on paper, Art Briles isn't a better head coach than Bo. I think that's true, or at least, unable to be proven false. Your counter was that he has a better record than Bo this season, and then your next point to me was that he has improved the team. Those are two elements out of literally dozens that factor into being a good coach, and only about half of them are able to be documented (not even getting into the discussion about being ethical, clean and honest). Bo has had better recruiting classes every year, has three divisional titles compared to none for Briles, owns head-to-head over Briles, better winning percentage, more consistent product on the field, better graduation rate, etc.

So again, I don't know what point you're trying to make. Different coaches, different schools, different environments, different preceding circumstances, different competition, different levels of support, etc.

Douchebags of a feather, flock together...

If you're so anti Bo, why come to the f*ckin' game?

I'm anti Bo and I just had a helluva time at the Michigan/Nebraska game about a week or so ago. There is nothing wrong with loving your team yet not liking the coach. There is no rule that says if you love your team then you must also have to love or like the coach.

A lot of people are capable of or look at the 'bigger' picture. I love my Cornhuskers. It's in my blood and I was born and raised with it. Just like there are people out there who don't want to see him fired and are happy with the program as it is there are also people who want him gone and are not happy with the state of the program over the past 6 years. Pretty simple really.

Sure I see improvement, so what? Improvement doesn't = better coaching. If it did, then Nick Saban isn't really very good since his teams haven't really improved much in the last few years. It would have been harder for Art Briles NOT to improve he started at the bottom.

The post you quoted stated that on paper, Art Briles isn't a better head coach than Bo. I think that's true. Your counter was that he has a better record than Bo this season, and then your next point to me was that he has improved the team. Those are two elements out of literally dozens that factor into being a good coach, and only about half of them are able to be documented (not even getting into the discussion about being ethical, clean and honest). Bo has had better recruiting classes every year, has three divisional titles compared to none for Briles, owns head-to-head over Briles, better winning percentage, more consistent product on the field, better graduation rate, etc.

So again, I don't know what point you're trying to make.

You are counting division titles against Briles? He only coached 3 years when he was able to win a division title, coaching currently in a league that doesn't have divisions... yea... good comparison.

And your counter that Bo has had better recruiting classes than Briles and a worse record? yea... good comparison.

Finally, your counter that Saban hasn't shown improvement by record is just too silly to begin to address.

The same can be said about Bo and Nebraska. We went 5-7 in 2007, the next season we won 9 games.

The improvement from 2007-08-09 is great. But he's been here 6 years....to me he can no longer call on the Cally days as an excuse or a benchmark for his performance. He's no farther today than he was at the end of 08', and he's certainly behind the 09', 10' teams. It's gradually gotten worse each of the last 3-4 years. Whether you want him here, or want him fired - it's hard to deny the team as a whole is not progressing in the right direction at the moment.

We have ZERO special teams...how can a coach completely ignore that side of the game? I can't remember the last time we put even a marginal amount of pressure on a punter. We don't have a D that creates turnovers, we have an O that commits a ton of them. It's going to be hard to win games with those glaring deficiencies. And it's not something that's been an issue for a single season. This is a core staple of the Pelini era, things you can count on week in, and week out.

Except for the fact that Baylor was never ANYTHING before Briles got there and Nebraska has a long standing history.

Thanks for proving my point. There's no comparing the two.

Not really. What exactly have we won since Bo's been here?

When Bo was hired, I was excited. I thought he was the right guy for the job. At the end of 2009 I was even more confident. But after last year I soured on him big-time. If we could clean up penalties and turnovers somewhat I think I'd still be on board with him, despite the national perception of him being relatively negative. But right now I just don't feel like he's the guy to take us to the next level. Sure we're respectable, but I thought we would strive for more than that. His inability to fix the things that have been plaguing us from day 1 just scares me a little. I think he gets at least 1 more year, and hopefully he turns it around.

I was definitely rooting for Cally to be gone, and the only way to make that happen was to lose. So if anyone says they weren't at least partly hoping for losses in 2007 I think they're lying through their teeth. I don't find myself rooting for losses now, but if we do lose a couple more games I will probably be calling for Bo's head, and I'm borderline on that right now. I'd much prefer he shake up the coaching staff instead, but I feel like he's too loyal to do it unless forced to.

The post you quoted stated that on paper, Art Briles isn't a better head coach than Bo. I think that's true. Your counter was that he has a better record than Bo this season, and then your next point to me was that he has improved the team. Those are two elements out of literally dozens that factor into being a good coach, and only about half of them are able to be documented (not even getting into the discussion about being ethical, clean and honest). Bo has had better recruiting classes every year, has three divisional titles compared to none for Briles, owns head-to-head over Briles, better winning percentage, more consistent product on the field, better graduation rate, etc.

So again, I don't know what point you're trying to make.

You are counting division titles against Briles? He only coached 3 years when he was able to win a division title, coaching currently in a league that doesn't have divisions... yea... good comparison.

And your counter that Bo has had better recruiting classes than Briles and a worse record? yea... good comparison.

Finally, your counter that Saban hasn't shown improvement by record is just too silly to begin to address.

I used division titles because conference titles are something that neither Bo nor Art have accomplished. Bo has better recruiting classes and a better record, don't know what you're talking about there. The bit about Saban was hyperbole, of course, to show that improvement is only one sign out of so many possible that a coach is any good.

You're the one that started the comparisons. I don't think they are relevant in any way, but since you want to compare, I figured I would point out that there is nothing Art Briles has accomplished thus far, on paper, that would make him a better coach by comparison.

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

Not sure....can you tell me what kind of injuries Baylor has had on their offense this year?

I believe they were forced to start their third string running back on Saturday, and he got 182 yards on 22 carries. They also lost their star wide receiver for the season.