Spotty at best: Bo Pelini will resign following Iowa game

Can't imagine he would resign and then coach more games. Really can't believe he would resign period. Plus to me the canidates list looks bogus. Tressel is still under show cause for multiple more years. Can not for the life of me see Nebraska voluntarily taking on ncaa probation for a coach. Smart has never coached outside of the southeast and has turned down a number of jobs there. Has been with saben since lsu and makes like 1.5 mill as an assistant. I seriously doubt he would have any interest in Nebraska, nor would Nebraska want a first time hc that would likely have to make as much if not more than bo from day one.

Whole thing seems bogus. Maybe bo is about to be done, but I don't think it goes down like what is claimed by this guy.

I agree pretty much with all of this, except we should all clarify and understand Tressel's penalties as they're not very significant. The NCAA hit Tressel with a show-cause penalty through 2017. However, the penalty really only affects his first season at a new university, where he must miss the first five games and sit out of any post-season play. After that, the penalty has no real affect on him, according to Andy Staples of SI.

Usually, that show-cause penalty would affect multiple seasons, but it doesn't in Tressel's case. Only one.

Can't imagine he would resign and then coach more games. Really can't believe he would resign period. Plus to me the canidates list looks bogus. Tressel is still under show cause for multiple more years. Can not for the life of me see Nebraska voluntarily taking on ncaa probation for a coach. Smart has never coached outside of the southeast and has turned down a number of jobs there. Has been with saben since lsu and makes like 1.5 mill as an assistant. I seriously doubt he would have any interest in Nebraska, nor would Nebraska want a first time hc that would likely have to make as much if not more than bo from day one.

Whole thing seems bogus. Maybe bo is about to be done, but I don't think it goes down like what is claimed by this guy.

I agree pretty much with all of this, except the Tressel part is slightly incorrect, in terms of his penalties. The NCAA hit Tressel with a show-cause penalty through 2017. However, the penalty really only affects his first season at a new university, where he must miss the first five games and sit out of any post-season play. After that, the penalty has no real affect on him, according to Andy Staples of SI.

Usually, that show-cause penalty would affect multiple seasons, but it doesn't in Tressel's case. Only one.

I believe I also read where during his time off from coaching the first 5 games and post season games, he would be allowed to recruit. So it could be a good thing.

I believe I also read where during his time off from coaching the first 5 games and post season games, he would be allowed to recruit. So it could be a good thing.

I also read that somewhere but can't find it ATM, so no quoting on that :)

I know in previous show-cause cases some coaches couldn't recruit, IIRC that's not the case with Tressel. So, you potentially lose him for at least five games and at most seven, depending on how well the team does. If you disregard the reason he got the penalty (which obviously you wouldn't when deciding whether to hire him, but for this post's sake) then that's not a bad trade off for a coach that's won a national title and seven Big Ten titles.

Since this is all conjecture anyways, I've got a couple theories that could support why Bo would resign.

1- He was basically blackmailed after tapegate, to prevent being let go at that time, maybe he had to agree to resign if certain milestones were not reached this season. It has been rumored that he was required to either get to the CCG and perform well or win it. His demeanor these last few weeks has been extremely subdued imo. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe he has been anticipating this and dreading it for quite some time.

2- Bo seems like a pretty straight shooter and standup guy. Maybe he did not meet some performance standards that had been set and is actually holding himself accountable for falling short.

3- Possibly the rumored 2nd, unreleased, tape recording of him going off at a practice is being held over his head, to assure a resignation and to prevent the distasteful firing of a 9+/- win coach. I would think that would be something the Nebraska AD would be highly sensitive to after the Solich deal.

Anyway, I don't think Bo resigning is near as farfetched as some here do. If true, I've got highly mixed feelings. A few weeks ago, I might've just said good riddance but I've seen much these past two games to renew some hope. One things for sure, this rumor sure does match up with some other recent rumors about Tressel being interested, etc. The fact that this guy, whoever he is, put his name to it, knowing the potential sh#tstorm, only lends credibility imo.

This.

Its not like he is hiding behind a screen name like we all do.

I also read that somewhere but can't find it ATM, so no quoting on that :)

I know in previous show-cause cases some coaches couldn't recruit, IIRC that's not the case with Tressel. So, you potentially lose him for at least five games and at most seven, depending on how well the team does. If you disregard the reason he got the penalty (which obviously you wouldn't when deciding whether to hire him, but for this post's sake) then that's not a bad trade off for a coach that's won a national title and seven Big Ten titles.

Here is a Bleacher Report article that says he can recruit during the 5-7 game suspension. I think that is a very important factor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1428777-tennessee-football-why-jim-tressel-is-worth-the-show-cause-penalty

The same distractions don't seem to be hurting USC, Texas A & M, Texas.....

Two of those 3 have just as many losses as us.

And how is that affecting their recruiting?

Ah, didn't know you were going the recruiting route. My bad, carry on.

It's cool. I was just drawing the line from what Bo said about not knowing what his future is to affecting recruiting.