Spotty at best: Bo Pelini will resign following Iowa game

I want to keep Bo, but I believe a caveat to keeping him is reworking his staff. As I've heard several people say the last few days, Nebraska is a destination job. It's not a proving ground. I think we took a pretty big risk hiring Pelini when we did, and his promoting of friends from within I think has seriously hurt the program.

If we rework the staff and keep Pelini, then it becomes a game of how much longer do we give him to gel with the new guys, and then how much influence will Eichorst try to have in the assistant hiring process?

That's about where I'm at as well, even though I think it's generous. Bo already had chances to revamp his staff. He chose to promote from within and give jobs to unqualified candidates, one of whom has his job done for him.

The coordinator decisions are one of the strikes against Pelini, IMO. And it's doubly worse because I think Bo would sooner go down with the ship than fire his pals.

Okay, so Shawn Eichorst comes out and says he fully supports Bo and expects to retain him. Then, Nebraska goes and drops the last two games. If Eichorst makes a change, he's a liar and a backstabber because he said he fully supported Bo, but then fired him. If he says he's evaluating the staff as the season moves forward, then he's a head hunter and is looking to drop Bo at any possible time. It's totally lose-lose.

I think "expects" is a key word here. If we drop 1 or 2 of the remaining games and Pelini is let go, Eichorst is not a liar at all. Expectations can change. Is that the actually wording Eichorst used? If so, he gave himself an out. It would be different if he said, "he fully supports Bo and will retain him.

You can fully support someone and want them to succeed, but that doesn't mean you can't let them go.

We continue to get recruiting commitments. That speaks volumes to me about what Pelini believes his status to be.

Yep, this is being overlooked. If he has resigned already I highly doubt he and the coaches could in good faith accept commitments which is basically telling them, "yes, i will be here next year."

http://lukebinder.wo...er-good-enough/

I thought this was interesting. He brought up some good points. I have no idea what's gonna happen after the Iowa game, but I don't have a good feeling.

I've seen several 'Blogs' point to the marketing of the program. The simple fact of the matter is, countless recruits talk about the stadium atmosphere and experience when they commit. Marketing the the product is winning games, not laser light shows and smoke. There are 60K at the Spring game.

I'm nervous if Bo is indeed gone. Feels like Solich all over again.

When you make as many mistakes as he did in the beginning (PR, Recruiting, Coaching Hires, 2 RS Freshman QB - 3 if you count Green), you're going to struggle. Struggle for years in fact. I'm still not convinced that they are not getting better. That being said, I'm not convinced the are not getting worse either.

I want to keep Bo, but I believe a caveat to keeping him is reworking his staff. As I've heard several people say the last few days, Nebraska is a destination job. It's not a proving ground. I think we took a pretty big risk hiring Pelini when we did, and his promoting of friends from within I think has seriously hurt the program.

If we rework the staff and keep Pelini, then it becomes a game of how much longer do we give him to gel with the new guys, and then how much influence will Eichorst try to have in the assistant hiring process?

That's about where I'm at as well, even though I think it's generous. Bo already had chances to revamp his staff. He chose to promote from within and give jobs to unqualified candidates, one of whom has his job done for him.

The coordinator decisions are one of the strikes against Pelini, IMO. And it's doubly worse because I think Bo would sooner go down with the ship than fire his pals.

I hope that's not the case with him. This is a business, and if he wants to be a head coach he has to make tough decisions. I understand loyalty to the coaches and assistants but this isn't the time or the place to sacrifice Nebraska football just because he wants his assistants to do better and be better.

Pelini obviously knows what's being said about him, and I'm sure he realizes that what he's doing in his program right now isn't working like he'd want it to.

My big issue though is the one you touched on, that he's had a lot of chances. I don't want to throw the towel in on him, but the concern is, how much longer do you give him to be successful...

Marketing the the product is winning games, not laser light shows and smoke.

I completely agree. Winning fixes everything, and this can't be emphasized enough. If Nebraska's winning conference titles and competing for championships, very few will complain about the fans, very few will complain about the Tunnel Walk, very few will complain about our PR/marketing, etc.

Winning. Cures. Everything.

Not going to link it because it is on a rival forum. Check out some other husker forums and you'll find it

PM maybe? I'm hope we're not talking about HM. I'd rather not have to subject myself to anything affiliated with Red Reign any more than is necessary.

i'd like a pm as well.