Spotty at best: Bo Pelini will resign following Iowa game

Shatel:

What makes a guy like big No. 71, Jeremiah Sirles, put himself back in the lineup a second straight game with a bum knee? It's not the Outback Bowl watch that's coming his way.

“We do it because we are playing for each other,” Sirles said. “You play for legacy. You play because you want to be remembered like this for a long time.”

Maybe, just maybe, there's a member of the 1992 or 1993 Nebraska team who just nodded his head.

“Championship teams get all the credit,” Brown said. “But if you ask them, they'll tell you that it was the guys on the teams before, in 1992 and 1993, who built it. They set up the culture that turned into a championship.

“We are not going to win the Big Ten championship. But this team is building something. This team has a lot of young guys who are maturing into a team right before our eyes.

“I think we're setting the stage for something special, to be honest with you.”

That sounds like a sales pitch directed to the ears of an athletic director. But Brown, who has worn championship rings and was also fired on Frank Solich's staff 10 years ago, speaks from the heart. He says what he believes.

The Huskers turned it over five times to Michigan State. They were listless at Minnesota. It's not all youth. When NU Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst makes his evaluation after the season, there's a big picture to consider, and that means the good, bad and ugly.

But if you're Eichorst, and you see a team that refuses to fold, a team with every reason to not show up for this one but showed up big, you have to ask yourself one question.

What if Brown is right?

Yeah ok, this team is just like the 93 team. Honestly.

If Bo is fired, it really will not be for the team performance. Anyone can see improvement on this team. Now the question, is it improvement in spite of the coaching or because of the coaching. Is it that leadership has finally stepped forward, given the group goals, a finish attitude.

I really do not think anyone knows but our AD and chancellor. If he is let go, it will be because of past actions, not on the field failures.

I just want what is best for Nebraska, no request for firing or keeping. The powers that be need to make the choice.

I really hope the rumors aren't true as I am starting to lean towards Bo getting another year.....(The UCLA game had me wanting assistants or even Bo gone).

However, food for thought here and take it for what it's worth......

My buddies GF, who happened to be watching the Penn St game with me, stated that the rumor is true......

Now, the credibility she has stems from her knowing the players (as far as I know)......she has hung out with the likes of Martinez, Kellogg and a few others.....

She seems like she is in "the know," however, if her info. is coming straight from the players.....it can be either taken as 100% true or a 100% false considering Bo had a talk with the team about such rumors on Thursday.

I didn't clarify with her on where she got her info......I was too busy watching the game and honestly didn't want to discuss such matters....

I really hope the rumors aren't true as I am starting to lean towards Bo getting another year.....(The UCLA game had me wanting assistants or even Bo gone).

However, food for thought here and take it for what it's worth......

My buddies GF, who happened to be watching the Penn St game with me, stated that the rumor is true......

Now, the credibility she has stems from her knowing the players (as far as I know)......she has hung out with the likes of Martinez, Kellogg and a few others.....

She seems like she is in "the know," however, if her info. is coming straight from the players.....it can be either taken as 100% true or a 100% false considering Bo had a talk with the team about such rumors on Thursday.

I didn't clarify with her on where she got her info......I was too busy watching the game and honestly didn't want to discuss such matters....

Based on the tweets that Knapplc just posted, I would say that your friends GF is incorrect with her info. Tell her to get back to the kitchen where she belongs.

It puts to bed the rumor that he resigned. It doesn't say anything about whether he'll be retained. To wit:

@mitchsherman

Pelini: "I’m not coaching to save my job. At the end of the day, I want to be here. .. If they don’t want me here, I’ll go on my way."

@ericolson64

Bo says, "I can look myself in the mirror and feel good about what I''ve done for this program."

Honestly.....I would agree with Bo's 2nd quote......

I would be proud at the end of the day........

The program was in shambles when he took over and he built it back up to a team that has won it's division 3 times and has played in 3 conferences championships.....

I would say that isn't too shabby.

I just really wish the team would get over that hump and get over the countless turnovers and blunders that plague them....

• Fire 1

I know people are gonna rag on him for saying "he wants to be here" with the audio and such, so I'm gonna get ahead of that little scuffle now. Just because he'd rather be somewhere more (ohio st) doesnt mean he doesnt want to be here at all. So hopefully that little snippet wont get nitpicked becuase of a little temper tantrum 2 years ago.

It puts to bed the rumor that he resigned. It doesn't say anything about whether he'll be retained. To wit:

@mitchsherman

Pelini: "I’m not coaching to save my job. At the end of the day, I want to be here. .. If they don’t want me here, I’ll go on my way."

@ericolson64

Bo says, "I can look myself in the mirror and feel good about what I''ve done for this program."

Honestly.....I would agree with Bo's 2nd quote......

I would be proud at the end of the day........

The program was in shambles when he took over and he built it back up to a team that has won it's division 3 times and has played in 3 conferences championships.....

I would say that isn't too shabby.

I just really wish the team would get over that hump and get over the countless turnovers and blunders that plague them....

Firing Bo at this point would be an odd manuever. I could understand if it was a predetermined scenario where he really DID have to win the conference to stay, or win X amount of games, and has failed to do so. But those are pretty high goals and it would just reek of an agenda if Bo was let go after a 9-3 regular season and a second place finish in the division. Someone would've wanted him gone, likely because of his perceived inability to get over the hump coupled with the audiotape bit.

But what would be appropriate at this point would be for Eichorst to sit Bo down after the season and be frank with him about the things that need to happen to get this team where we all want it to be. For instance:

• Some semblance of special teams schemes that were not seemingly drawn up by someone that appears to read at a third grade level and actually understands the concepts.
  • Our offense to quit acting like they just dipped their genitals in IcyHot and the hands in KY and actually held onto the ball (and perhaps bandaging that proverbial never-healing gunshot wound in our foot). If we could hire a chiropractor full time that could make sure a certain one of Tim Beck's appendages stays out of a certain one of his orifices when calling games on gameday as well, great!
  • A full time recruiting coordinator so that we can minimize the talent gap between us and teams that reside in more easily recruitable areas.

If any and all of that happens, I believe Bo can a very successful head coach here at Nebraska in the years to come.

One thing that should be EXTREMELY encouraging to all of us has been that that "deer in the headlights" look we're so used to when things start to go downhill during a game seems to have disappeared. We seem to have a firm grasp on the floodgates when something goes wrong and will not allow them to burst open anymore. This team shows heart and resilience and determination to get back up after they've been knocked to the mat. Given we looked really, really mistake-prone during the MSU loss. But that comes down to ball security, a separate (though equally pervasive and worrisome) issue. They never gave up.

I don't want to say I've seen that go away since T-Magic has been out, but... :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

I know people are gonna rag on him for saying "he wants to be here" with the audio and such, so I'm gonna get ahead of that little scuffle now. Just because he'd rather be somewhere more (ohio st) doesnt mean he doesnt want to be here at all. So hopefully that little snippet wont get nitpicked becuase of a little temper tantrum 2 years ago.

like, i want to be with kate upton. but i am very happy to be with my wife. and at the end of the day, i am proud of what i have done for our relationship.

Sipple:

At last, Iowa week.

Dust off the "Heroes Game Trophy," or whatever you call it.

It's a tale of two head football coaches: One with a Big Ten regular-season record of 10-13 since the start of the 2011 season, the other 17-6 during the same period.

Guess which coach pushes forward amid swirling speculation about his job security.

Hint: It's not Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, whose Hawkeyes (7-4, 4-3) come to town Friday. Ferentz's crew has rebounded admirably from last season's 4-8, 2-6 debacle.

Although Nebraska coach Bo Pelini owns the 17-6 record, shrill Husker fans are on his back as NU (8-3, 5-2) tries to close the regular season on a strong note.

Pelini's situation is a good example of why I typically find myself defending Nebraska football coaches, and coaches in general. I admittedly turned it up a notch after former NU coach Tom Osborne's retirement following the 1997 season.

Osborne raised the bar to the heavens. Reasonable folks don't expect Pelini, or anybody else at Nebraska, to match Tom's achievements, including that ridiculous 60-3 record in his last five seasons.

In a sense, Osborne ensured that almost anything his successors accomplish won't be enough in the eyes of the most zealous (and most entitled) Nebraska fans. Those folks can make quite a ruckus. They can be downright vile. So, I typically find myself siding with the underdog coach.

How can any post-Osborne Husker head coach not be considered an underdog, considering the enormity of expectations?

As veteran Nebraska assistant Ron Brown pointed out Saturday, the "Pelini culture" has taken hold in the program. It has character, resilience, a sense of family, sense of purpose. It also has ample young talent, on both sides of the line. What I see now is a strong foundation.

The anti-Pelini folks cry, "Show me progress," as if they're blind to the young defense's considerable progress this season. As if they're blind to Ameer Abdullah churning out 100-yard games behind a line ravaged by injuries. As if they're blind to Nebraska's injuries in general.

As veteran Nebraska assistant Ron Brown pointed out Saturday, the "Pelini culture" has taken hold in the program. It has character, resilience, a sense of family, sense of purpose. It also has ample young talent, on both sides of the line. What I see now is a strong foundation.

The anti-Pelini folks cry, "Show me progress," as if they're blind to the young defense's considerable progress this season. As if they're blind to Ameer Abdullah churning out 100-yard games behind a line ravaged by injuries. As if they're blind to Nebraska's injuries in general.

I just hope people realize there is a middle ground as well.

• Fire 1