WR Niles Paul

I see it now. Jimmy Clausen with the great bloodlines and place already cleared for his Heisman trophies. He's all set to become the next Todd Marinovich.

I heard Clausen looked horrible in the east/west game???

He missed a couple of easy throws but he also had some nice looking passes as well. I don't know if I would say he played horrible but not the world beater that the media is going to make him look like over the next four or five years.

I see it now. Jimmy Clausen with the great bloodlines and place already cleared for his Heisman trophies. He's all set to become the next Todd Marinovich.

Has Beeno Cook given him the kiss of death yet?

not only did he give him the kiss of death, i hear he slipped him the tonuge while he was at it.

He is still the same player regardless of stars.

He didn't get any smaller or slower because he fell 30 spots.

That being said, I too was surprised that he dropped.

Crabtree was on 1620 yesterday talking about the drop. While Crabtree said he argued for Paul for some reason those above him seem to think Paul has reached his maximum skill level. Yet they don't seem to be taking into account in college he can still get stronger and faster with the help of Nebraska's strength trainers.

He is still the same player regardless of stars.

He didn't get any smaller or slower because he fell 30 spots.

That being said, I too was surprised that he dropped.

Crabtree was on 1620 yesterday talking about the drop. While Crabtree said he argued for Paul for some reason those above him seem to think Paul has reached his maximum skill level. Yet they don't seem to be taking into account in college he can still get stronger and faster with the help of Nebraska's strength trainers.

i'm not all that familiar with how these recruiting services do their things, but it's always seemed to me that defining a players "ceiling" is the most ambiguous and most opinionated part of the analysis. It seems to be used more as justification for ratings, rather than reasons for determining the rating.

Like in this situation. Suddenly Paul's "ceiling" got so much smaller over the course of this season?

• 2 weeks later...

LJS

OMAHA — Thirteen months ago to this day, Niles Paul became the first player to commit to Nebraska’s 2007 football recruiting class.

The fleet Omaha North wide receiver never once wavered on his verbal pledge, unlike dozens of other high-profile prep recruits across the country whose impulses are thoroughly documented on recruiting Web sites.

Paul’s case is unique.

In committing to accept Nebraska’s scholarship offer, Paul fulfilled a promise delivered as a boy to an ailing mother who died six years ago yet remains an inspiration to Paul each day.

“I told my mom when I was 8 or 9, ‘I promise you that I will play for Nebraska one day,’” the 17-year-old Paul said.

He first realized he wanted to play for the Huskers when he was a boy watching his uncle, former NU standout I-back Ahman Green (1995-97). Paul’s mom also delighted in watching her brother-in-law Green, now with the Green Bay Packers.

Paul’s promise to his mom will be fulfilled Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period — a national holiday of sorts in the college football world. Paul, arguably the most gifted and touted in-state football recruit since Eric Crouch of Millard North in 1997, will sign a letter of intent and send it to the NU football office.

Somewhere, his mom will be smiling.

Marjorie Beck battled hepatitis B, a disease of the liver, for nearly four years before dying at age 43.

“Throughout those four years, it was the worst times of my life because there were points where my mom didn’t even know who I was anymore, didn’t even know I was her son because of the medicine she was on,” Paul said.

“When she died, it hurt my whole family. It hurt my dad the worst. It hurt my brothers. My two older brothers lashed out. They were awesome athletes, too. They had the potential to do what I’m doing now, but they went a different way.

“I took it my way.”

Niles Paul’s way was to channel his anger into energy in football, basketball and track.

“It made me work that much harder,” he said. “I was mad that I was so young and the Lord took away my mom. There’s still anger inside me. Everybody sees that. I get angry really fast. But on the court and on the field, I use my anger as a skill.”

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Paul last week was named to the prestigious Parade All-America team, one of eight wide receivers and 58 players overall from 25 states and the District of Columbia.

In leading Omaha North to a 9-2 record this past season — including a first-ever state playoff victory — Paul caught 46 passes for 814 yards and 13 touchdowns despite double and triple coverage.

At the state track meet last spring, Paul won both hurdles races and also ran on the winning 400- and 1,600-meter relay teams as North captured the Class A and all-class team titles. In addition, he is averaging 17 points and ranks second in the state with 11-plus rebounds a game for the Vikings’ basketball team.

“He’s hands-down the most physical player I’ve coached, and he has all of the intangibles,” said seventh-year North football coach Larry Martin. “He just has tremendous determination.”

A tattoo of Paul’s mother adorns his right shoulder. After he makes a good play or wins a race, you’ll often see Paul kiss two fingers, tap the tattoo and point skyward.

“What drives me is knowing my mom is watching me,” Paul said. “I want to make my mom happy. I know when I mess up because I can just feel it. I feel bad inside.”

His mom was strict, Paul said. For instance, she enforced a rigid curfew; when the streetlights came on, he had to be inside their home. What’s more, she insisted he read two hours a day even in the summer. If he had a ‘C’ on his report card, he couldn’t go to practice.

Paul said his competitive fire comes from his father, Nicki Paul, a computer software engineer at Offutt Air Force Base and Ahman Green’s brother. Nicki Paul, a former standout running back at Omaha Central, helped coach his son in various youth sports.

“Every time I lost a race, it made practice that much worse,” the younger Paul said.

Nowadays, “I hate losing,” Niles said. “I hate every type and form of losing.”

His competitiveness evidently extends to the classroom; he carries a 3.8 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale.

“At least everybody knows I’m not a dumb jock,” Paul said, smiling. “I’m a jock, but I’m smart.”

Green, a nine-year NFL veteran, said he is particularly proud of Paul’s dedication in the classroom.

As for Paul’s speed, size and strength, “That just runs in our family,” Green said. “There’s a whole lot of athleticism on my side of the family and on the other side, too. Being a 6-foot-2, 215-pound wide receiver, that’s impressive. It’s going to help Niles, and he’s figuring that out.

“He came up here (to Wisconsin) to train with me this summer, and a lot of my teammates figured he was already in college.”

Green admits he was taken by surprise by Paul’s early verbal commitment to Nebraska last January, the first of the Huskers’ 29 commitments — and probably the strongest pledge.

“He said I should take all of my (recruiting) visits,” Paul said. “I told him, ‘Nebraska is where I want to go,’ and he understood.”

Turns out, Paul’s decision was easy, for he had a promise to fulfill.