Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

As long as we're an average to good but not great football team, we have no right to say that any rivalry or hypothetical rivalry is beneath us.

Iowa is a better football team than us this year. That simple.

Sorry, can't do it, I still spit on the concept of Iowa football, it disgusts me.

Says infinitely more about you than it does about them.

I just am not in the mood to care. I recognize they are better than us this year, but they are not rivals.

As long as we're an average to good but not great football team, we have no right to say that any rivalry or hypothetical rivalry is beneath us.

Sorry, can't do it, I still spit on the concept of Iowa football, it disgusts me.

This ^^^

It is time for NU to return to dominance!!!

good luck with that.

We definitely need it

when you have a rivalry it hurts more to lose to them, and it feels better then normal to beat them. i felt nothing when we beat iowa last year...and dont feel any extra harm from losing to them this year. maybe it is a rivalry for Iowa, but i just don't feel the same way towards them. of course i am an old bastard though and still feel like oklahoma was our only real rival so take my view however you like..

NU should not have a rivalry with any team that is not a perennial top 15 team. This reminds me of Colorado. Colorado thought we were their rival, but NU did not reciprocate. CU had a few good years, but nothing like the dominate streak of OK. And from 1970 to 2000, NU was 28-3 against CU. Iowa is worse than CU was until post Skippy, and if NU has a true rivalry with Iowa, it substantiates the descendance of the program into mediocrity. Great team do not have rivalries with mediocre teams.

Get off your high horse, we're not that good and did you ever think that maybe Iowa doesn't want us as a rival either. TOB

Says infinitely more about you than it does about them.

Yup!

NU should not have a rivalry with any team that is not a perennial top 15 team. This reminds me of Colorado. Colorado thought we were their rival, but NU did not reciprocate. CU had a few good years, but nothing like the dominate streak of OK. And from 1970 to 2000, NU was 28-3 against CU. Iowa is worse than CU was until post Skippy, and if NU has a true rivalry with Iowa, it substantiates the descendance of the program into mediocrity. Great team do not have rivalries with mediocre teams.

Nebraska is not a great team. Next.

Neither is Iowa. Enjoy this one, because Iowa victories in this "rivalry" will be few and far between....

Neither is Iowa. Enjoy this one, because Iowa victories in this "rivalry" will be few and far between....

I guess we'll see. I think you Huskers are more butt hurt about this loss than you let on. Iowa will have a very similar team next year and this years team just curb stomped you guys by 21. Last year Nebraska could only manage to beat a 4-8 Iowa team by 6 and James Vandenberg was our QB!. This series will be close there is no doubt about it. In today's college football Iowa and Nebraska are about equal. Please keep Pelini btw. He makes watching Husker meltdowns so much more enjoyable. :laughpound

I guess we'll see. I think you Huskers are more butt hurt about this loss than you let on. Iowa will have a very similar team next year and this years team just curb stomped you guys by 21. Last year Nebraska could only manage to beat a 4-8 Iowa team by 6 and James Vandenberg was our QB!. This series will be close there is no doubt about it. In today's college football Iowa and Nebraska are about equal. Please keep Pelini btw. He makes watching Husker meltdowns so much more enjoyable. :laughpound

Any Husker meltdown has little to do with losing to Iowa. In the "meltdown" how often have you seen Iowa brought up? Not much, if at all. We're more worried about the coaching situation going forward. Not so worried about a team we'll hammer more times then not over the years.... What happened yesterday would hardly qualify as a "curb stomping". Anybody watching that game would have to admit the game was much closer than the score. As far as last year? The weather had a lot to do with the score. I hope you hang around JockNut. It'll be interesting what you have to say when Nebraska is winning 8/9 out of 10 games against you guys over the years.

Congrats! You're our new Colorado.....

If you didn't watch the game yesterday we played a third string walk-on named Ron Kellogg. We both had average seasons this year, and you are being all Iowa State right now.

If you didn't watch the game yesterday we played a third string walk-on named Ron Kellogg. We both had average seasons this year, and you are being all Iowa State right now.

Compliment or Insult?

Compliment.....

Really wish the big ten paired us up w/ Penn State as a conference rival. Other conf. rivals:

UM - OSU (main), MSU (OSU more important)

MSU - ND (main) Michigan (ND more important)

Minnesota - UW (main), Iowa (trophy game)

Iowa - ISU (main) Minnesota and UW (trophy games), NU (trophy game)

OSU - UM (main), PSU (important)

UW - Minnesota (main), Iowa (trophy game)

Purdue, NW, Illinois, Indiana - :tv

PSU - OSU (not as important as UM, trophy game), Minnesota and MSU (1 game played the past 3 years?)

Nebraksa - Iowa (not as important as ISU, trophy game)

Every team is matched up with a main (game played annually) rival (um-osu, iowa-isu, uw-minn, nd-msu) except us and penn state. You could say iowa is our main rival, but Iowa's rivalry with ISU has a lot more meaning. I dont see why we weren't scheduled to play penn state every year as a thanksgiving game. Both programs have legit natl. championships and PSU is the next highest big ten team on the all-time win list (#4 us, #5 OSU, #12 PSU). Would make for a meaningful rivalry.

Penn State is not Ohio State's rival (at least in OSU's mind)

It's really only Ohio State vs. Michigan.

Ohio State vs. Illinois is a trophy game

There's a budding rivalry with Wisconsin though.