Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 3)

knapplc

Bo Pelini's job security  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What say you, knapp? Think this is end times stuff?

I think he's gone. That performance yesterday wasn't the behavior of a man who thinks he's saying, or even wants to stay.

Even if he wanted to stay, he clearly doesn't understand how the head coach of Nebraska should comport himself.

It seems not. That presser put a bleak spin on that leaked Ohio State audio. Couldn't have scripted a performance better suited to the narrative.

Truth be told I find this whole thing a little surreal. I was fairly sure Pelini was going to get another year even a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think Pelini would self-immolate, as someone else put it.

Same here. Even yesterday morning I would have voted "somewhat unlikely". Yesterday's performance (not talking about the football team) was a game changer.

this. both the dude and husker_x.

i thought the mighigan game bought him one more year. but, once again, it was not the loss but how the loss was handled.

at bo's presser he could have given an articulate defense on why he should stay (still learning as coaches, bright future with young talent, his players graduate and stay out of trouble...). but instead he used it to be stubborn, defiant, and petulant. he just made it near impossible to keep him.

From an Iowa fan on an ESPN comment board:

http://espn.go.com/c...t-fire-go-ahead

"Welcome to the big ten Bo. You have to work at it to win here. Speaking for Iowa and the rest of the big 10, we hope you stay around. One easy win a year is about all we can hope for. "

Ouch

Ouch for this guy's stupidity? I see nothing here that makes me think "ouch" for Nebraska. Like Husker_x just said, Bo's 2-1 against Iowa. If anyone has an easy W on their schedule for the Heroes Game, it's Bo (if he stays).

Iowa fans are like little fish with 10 second memories. The are forced to live in a fabricated future because looking into the past makes them realize just how terrible their teams usually are. They win ONE game against a truly depleted Nebraska, and they will believe that the Hawkeyes have dominated for years. They do not remember being 4-8 last year. They have take advantage of the rare occurrences that they can talk smack.

• Fire 1

What is happening is more of a Nebraska problem than a Pelini problem. There are about 7 million reasons why Pelini isn't concerned. There are plenty of reasons for concern about Nebraska football.

the negative publicity Bo has brought to Nebraska could be something that could hurt his standing with those 7 million reasons. i believe they are probably trying to negotiate away about 5 or 6 million of those reasons.

That's nothing I would be in the know about. Is it anything other than speculation on your part, or do you have something to back that up?

he has nothing to back it up.

Like a few others in this thread, I'd you had asked me before the game yesterday, I was pretty certain Bo would still have a job. Hell, I still believe there is a sliver of a possibility that he is retained because of the copious amount of injuries we have endured.

I tend to think after yesterday's tirade, he's out. He should have conducted himself better manner. Bo Pelini needs friends right now and you don't get people in your corner with awkward,standoffish display of hubris.

Unfortunately, that press conference is a microcosm of Bo's tenure here...much like our regular loss to an inferior opponent, all Pelini had to do was "execute" what should have been a relatively simple task, but he was distracted and allowed the press conference to be derailed, instead of handling himself with composure and poise, making it about the seniors. You could also look at it like this was a press conference Bo Pelini needed to go his way in just about the worst way. Say, like a big game. Like our team so often does when the lights are the brightest, he melted down and made mistake after mistake, misstep after misstep, leaving everyone who witnessed scratching their heads. Did he behave like that yesterday because he was a man with nothing to lose? Did he know his fate already? Or is he just a self destructing loose canon?

This whole situation has been a f'ing nightmare and I think we need to sh#t or get off the pot with our current dilemma.

Like a few others in this thread, I'd you had asked me before the game yesterday, I was pretty certain Bo would still have a job. Hell, I still believe there is a sliver of a possibility that he is retained because of the copious amount of injuries we have endured.

I tend to think after yesterday's tirade, he's out. He should have conducted himself better manner. Bo Pelini needs friends right now and you don't get people in your corner with awkward,standoffish display of hubris.

Unfortunately, that press conference is a microcosm of Bo's tenure here...much like our regular loss to an inferior opponent, all Pelini had to do was "execute" what should have been a relatively simple task, but he was distracted and allowed the press conference to be derailed, instead of handling himself with composure and poise, making it about the seniors. You could also look at it like this was a press conference Bo Pelini needed to go his way in just about the worst way. Say, like a big game. Like our team so often does when the lights are the brightest, he melted down and made mistake after mistake, misstep after misstep, leaving everyone who witnessed scratching their heads. Did he behave like that yesterday because he was a man with nothing to lose? Did he know his fate already? Or is he just a self destructing loose canon?

This whole situation has been a f'ing nightmare and I think we need to sh#t or get off the pot with our current dilemma.

So... you're saying Bo failed to execute?

Because that might just be hypocritical and ironic enough to make me do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

Has anybody considered that his actions yesterday may have been scripted and performed for a purpose? It was rumored two weeks ago that he would resign following the Iowa game. Is it possible they had to create an event to lend credence to his ouster?

I know many of us have legitimate concerns about the job he has done but there are a lot of people who are stuck on the 9-10 win thing. Did they create an event to make it more palatable for those folks? Did Bo go along with it to keep the rumored dirt buried? Probably a bit farfetched.....

Has anybody considered that his actions yesterday may have been scripted and performed for a purpose? It was rumored two weeks ago that he would resign following the Iowa game. Is it possible they had to create an event to lend credence to his ouster?

I know many of us have legitimate concerns about the job he has done but there are a lot of people who are stuck on the 9-10 win thing. Did they create an event to make it more palatable for those folks? Did Bo go along with it to keep the rumored dirt buried? Probably a bit farfetched.....

This is a pretty elaborate ruse if that were the case. If he truly were going to resign, why not go out on a positive note and not the way it was presented to the fans and media.

One of the reasons I expect him to be gone is that he has virtually NO visible active supporters either locally or nationally.

Case in point. Last night on ESPN, (who normally deems us unworthy of even a mention when discussing college football), LED OFF with Bo's presser and then proceeded to rail about how every story concerning Bo negatively reflects on the University..........conveniently ignoring how they are contributing to it).

So, leading SportsCenter, huh? Bo's returned us to relevance! :sarcasm

I've been a Bo supporter. Obviously things have not gone as well as we all would have liked (expected?). But I would really have liked to see what would have happened had he had a chance to get it all put together. I know, year six and everything. But I still claim we didn't hit recruiting as hard as we should have his first couple years. That led to a drop-off after pretty good second and third years here. But I think the talent level was getting back up where it needs to be. Even with the youth on defense this year I though this would be a telling year but then we also ended up with injury/youth/inexperience at the QB spot (not to mention OLine) which makes it tough to get a good picture of what's actually going on.

Many have asked about being satisfied or how many "one more years" does a guy get. I'm not "satisfied" with what we've seen but I also don't think changing coaches every 5-6 gets you anywhere as well. We've fired two coaches thinking the next guy would lead us back to the promised land and here we are 10+ years down the road an in basically the same spot. I personally wouldn't mind seeing one more year as we'll have most of the offense back and a defense that has been vastly improved in conference play. I think that would be a more true reflection of what this staff can do. Maybe it's the same as we've seen, maybe not.

Having said all that, I think after yesterday he's most likely gone. And I can't really argue with that at this point.

@JoshHarveyScout 1m Eichorst: "We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future." #Huskers

http://btn.com/2013/11/30/shawn-eichorst-releases-statement-on-bo-pelini/

Nebraska Direcor of Athletic Shawn Eichorst released a statement on Coach Bo Pelini on Saturday morning. Read the full release in this post.

“My approach has always been to not comment publicly about our coaches until their full seasons are complete, as I strongly believe it is unfair and counter to best practices. However, given the volume of unfounded speculation and conjecture about our head football coach, I want to reaffirm what I have said many times since I have arrived at the University of Nebraska — that I positively respect, appreciate and support our football student-athletes, coaches and staff, as we do everyone in the Husker family. We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future.”

@JoshHarveyScout 1m Eichorst: "We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future." #Huskers

I guess we're okay with all the empty seats and lack of excitement from our fans. Yippee. Congrats guys, we are officially Iowa.