Big Red Wrap #s

tmfr15

The sideline survey was interesting tonight.

While I realize that the numbers for the survey are probably WAAAAYYYY off.. last week's question was on whether it was a good idea to keep Pelini and a decided majority voted that SE dropped the ball on that call.

Later, on the new survey, the vote was on whether Husker fans intended on traveling for the bowl game. And only 10 percent, five percent definitely and five percent maybe said they were going. The rest fell under probably not or no.

Do we have a reaction this ... or do we just say... low vote numbers, not representative of the fan base.

Expected. I don't think Northern Florida is a big hub for Husker fans. Even in 2008 when fans were relatively excited for the bowl, the stadium was only about 70% full and I'd say it was a 60-40 split in favor of Clemson fans. Most fans (including Georgia's) aren't excited about the rematch, especially with all the key injuries.

Combine that with $700+ flights, and I doubt you will get many more than 10,000 Husker fans. And maybe 30,000 Georgia fans. I don't think we'll get many long shots from the ESPN2 producers.

So we are going to end up losing money on going? I would have gone to Tempe, but just can not justify the extra 2k to go to Florida. I doubt many are going to go to this game. That will hurt us in the future if the team continues to play at this level. Putting butts in the seats is all that is important to the bowl games.

So we are going to end up losing money on going? I would have gone to Tempe, but just can not justify the extra 2k to go to Florida. I doubt many are going to go to this game. That will hurt us in the future if the team continues to play at this level. Putting butts in the seats is all that is important to the bowl games.

More a reflection of who the team is playing and in what bowl than how the team is playing

More a reflection of who the team is playing and in what bowl than how the team is playing

I don't know HuskerHill...I live in Tampa (a 3 hour drive to JVille) and I am not going and it's not b/c of who we are playing or the bowl...but I am not going to spend the money to make the trip, tix, etc only to see them get pounced...which may or may not happen...but since I am not a betting man, I will just keep my money...

So, for me anyway, it is b/c how the team is playing and that makes me sad. :mellow:

I don't know HuskerHill...I live in Tampa (a 3 hour drive to JVille) and I am not going and it's not b/c of who we are playing or the bowl...but I am not going to spend the money to make the trip, tix, etc only to see them get pounced...which may or may not happen...but since I am not a betting man, I will just keep my money...

So, for me anyway, it is b/c how the team is playing and that makes me sad. :mellow:

Is that the fan definition of the bandwagon. I will cheer for us if we are good or we have a great chance to win. If I lived 3 hours away I would be there for sure.

Is that the fan definition of the bandwagon. I will cheer for us if we are good or we have a great chance to win. If I lived 3 hours away I would be there for sure.

Well...good for you....you are awesome.

It is the definition of a fan that doesn't have a lot of extra cash especially around Christmas time that really isn't interested in spending money he doesn't have to be disappointed with a team that may or may not show up.

I guess since you know me so well, you can go ahead and make that judgement call

(and for what's it worth, I will be wearing red and screaming and cheering my butt off for the Husker as they play, but it will just have to be from my living room)

I think more fair weather fan but everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit. What I should have said in my OP was the lack of traveling husker fans isn't just because of current state of program but also the opponent and location of the game. Combination of multiple factors

Expected. I don't think Northern Florida is a big hub for Husker fans. Even in 2008 when fans were relatively excited for the bowl, the stadium was only about 70% full and I'd say it was a 60-40 split in favor of Clemson fans. Most fans (including Georgia's) aren't excited about the rematch, especially with all the key injuries.

I think there's a city ordnance in Jacksonville that states the stadium can't be more than 70% full - 50% on Sundays.

It is the definition of a fan that doesn't have a lot of extra cash especially around Christmas time that really isn't interested in spending money he doesn't have to be disappointed with a team that may or may not show up.

I guess since you know me so well, you can go ahead and make that judgement call

(and for what's it worth, I will be wearing red and screaming and cheering my butt off for the Husker as they play, but it will just have to be from my living room)

If it is a money issue it is completely understandable. If the decision is based purely off team performance then it is a matter of being a fair weather fan. Money is the reason I can make it to only 1 game a year and the spring game. If I could just stop having kids I could maybe go to more games. I will be sitting on my couch cheering for them just like you are. GBR!!

If it is a money issue it is completely understandable. If the decision is based purely off team performance then it is a matter of being a fair weather fan. Money is the reason I can make it to only 1 game a year and the spring game. If I could just stop having kids I could maybe go to more games. I will be sitting on my couch cheering for them just like you are. GBR!!

GBR! :power

• Fire 1

Those poll numbers mean nothing and they are the farthest thing away from anything scientific. When a poll like that comes out at that point in time, the majority of people who are going to vote are people who are all worked up and want to make a statement.

That obviously are the people who aren't getting what they passionately want.

Another thing is that a lot of fans don't watch that show. I used to, but it's not interesting or informative enough to spend an hour of my time.