"There are things that went on that weekend that not many people know about."

Not sure much of that passes the smell test for me. Beck and Martinez were well down the list of our problems for that game. Martinez wasn't great but he was over 50% despite several drops. AA ran for 165 yards at an 8.7 clip. Other than our receivers not catching passes, the offense wasn't that bad. It was the defense giving up 430 yards and being terribly out of position several times that killed us. Partly why Afalava didn't see the field the rest of the season.

The team could have been thrown off by it but you would have expected the momentum to be opposite of what it was if that was the case. If they were thrown out of whack right before the game, you would think we would have started terrible and possibly gotten better as they got into the flow of the game. Instead we came out playing great for a quarter or so before it went down hill.

Not saying that any of that makes the claims false, just seems odd as it is completely backwards of what "should" have happened given those circumstances. And even if the team was expecting TA to start, it's had to fault the coaches for trying to get Martinez back in there. It's entirely possible that they were seeing a lot of things in practice that we hadn't seen from TA up to that point but became painfully obvious in later games.

Yes, the infamous..."lets just motion a guy in the backfield and watch them completely break down" game.

(the offense was absolutely pathetic in this game though).

All I know is that after the game, Beck explained that Minnesota was dropping safeties in the box and playing mostly to all cover 0, so they thought they could beat them with the pass, ALL WHILE AMEER WAS AVERAGING 9 YARDS PER CARRY ANYWAY. Yet he went away from the run and tried to play Tom Brady with Taylor again. If theyre in cover 0 already, and dropping safeties down, and still cant stop your running game, guess what. They aint ever gonna. Feed the man and get the W. Stupid.

NO-PROB.gif

All I know is that after the game, Beck explained that Minnesota was dropping safeties in the box and playing mostly to all cover 0, so they thought they could beat them with the pass, ALL WHILE AMEER WAS AVERAGING 9 YARDS PER CARRY ANYWAY. Yet he went away from the run and tried to play Tom Brady with Taylor again. If theyre in cover 0 already, and dropping safeties down, and still cant stop your running game, guess what. They aint ever gonna. Feed the man and get the W. Stupid.

I'll also add that Beck pretty much did the same thing against Michigan St. The whole second half. Run on first down, gain 2 yards. 2nd and 8 and we try some sort of low percentage, play action-yes, on 2nd and long, hence putting us in a near impossible 3rd and long, instead of running for another 3-4 yards so we can use the full book on a 3rd and short. Watch the tape. this happened time and time again on opportunities to get ahead in that game. Then, when the 4th quarter came around, and Ameer had already shown he was fully prepared to put the entire team school stadium state on his shoulders, he some how come up missing from the playcards. It's just mind boggling and I honestly think this staff is overthinking things so much and trying to coach so far ahead of themselves that theyre failing to execute the basics right now. I really believe we just have to get back to doing what we do. Ameer deserved no less than 30 carries per game with the situation our offense was in personnel wise and the way our defense improved down the stretch last season. I know, coaches know better than me, but this appears to be an obvious observation.

It's amazing that in recent years, we've had issues running our top RBs into the ground, forsaking extra carries to the backups, so they are worn down at the end of the season; and then Abdullah has the 5th best rushing season any Husker ever; yet here we are talking about him being underutilized. But it's true - we needed him just a little bit more and abandoned him in key situations. Damn it, Beck.