My journey to drop the weight

If I'm counting right, you plan to do about 7-8 hours of exercise a week, right? May I ask if you think that is sustainable? For long term fitness, I would hate to see you drop weight because you exercize a bazillion hours a week, but then when life gets in the way and you have to cut back your hours in the gym, the weight creeps back. One of my goals for this new year is to incorporate a quick workout immediately when I get up. I might try the 30 burpees for 30 days challenge to start.

Also, did you mention you have a Jawbone? I'm looking at a Jawbone, Fitbit, or the Nike product and I thought someone mentioned they use one and I would love feedback before I buy. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or not.

If I'm counting right, you plan to do about 7-8 hours of exercise a week, right? May I ask if you think that is sustainable? For long term fitness, I would hate to see you drop weight because you exercize a bazillion hours a week, but then when life gets in the way and you have to cut back your hours in the gym, the weight creeps back. One of my goals for this new year is to incorporate a quick workout immediately when I get up. I might try the 30 burpees for 30 days challenge to start.

Also, did you mention you have a Jawbone? I'm looking at a Jawbone, Fitbit, or the Nike product and I thought someone mentioned they use one and I would love feedback before I buy. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or not.

The excersise will come and go. With my work and life schedule, I will miss days or just be exhausted and miss. This is a hopeful plan.

My jawbone is ok, but not amazing. I have heard good things about the nike fuelband

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I started on Jan 6th. I have basically done a good job of being around 1,700-2,000 calories a day. Workout the first week was not very good because i was fighting a cold.

A co worker suggested are whole office doing a 100 days in a row of being active for 30 min... started that on monday.

Technically i lost 5 pounds the first week, but am not looking much in to that.

Sleep is not going well-- struggling on that.

All in all. Feeling good, but need to improve day by day.

1700 is completely fine as long as you don't feel like you're starving yourself. 'grats, sounds like it's going well.

Ya.. the first day i did it i was concerned, but i had 3 complete meals. I wasnt hungry. Didnt feel lethargic. Meals are simplitic- Chicken(maybe some hot sauce) and a veggie of some kind.

I had a cheat meal saturday night cause the wife and I went on a date.. but if i deny myself those things, i will go nuts.

Trying to drink a lot more water too... so far, cant complain.

If you dont hear from me for awhile, someone come to omaha with a snickers bar tho.

Suddenly going nuts on diet/exercise/lifestyle changes is the best way to screw yourself for long term progress. Ease into working out to let your body adjust, and the same goes with dietary changes. And allow yourself to have a "bad" meal, or even a "bad" day now and then. It helps maintain your sanity and willpower to continue, which is the biggest hurdle anyone has to overcome with changes like this. As long as it's an anomaly and not the general rule, you'll continue to make progress and won't find yourself going crazy or abandoning your diet and exercise.

Also

www.goruck.com

I just did a GoRuck light, and it kicked my ass...

I used to be a svelte 330, I got down to about 315 in a couple months, but the holidays and beer f'd that all up, so I have to get back on the trail...

Here's my workout, Mon/Wed/Fri

Pull Ups x 30 (assisted is fine)

Squats x30 (45lb bar is good)

Box Jumps/Steps x30

Push Ups x30

Dips x30

Kettle bell presses x30

Wing Wipers x30

Dips x30

Pull ups x20 (assisted is cool)

Curls x30 (use 45lbs bar again)

Should take about a half an hour to do that, but trust me, by the time you're done, you are gassed...

I am going to over simplify this and then explain.

It is simply a matter of mind set. You have to be committed to it (assuming you don't have any physical problems getting i the way).

Now, let me explain. You then have to surround yourself with things that can help you accomplish this. I recently dropped 60 lbs and am almost in the best shape of my life and I'm 46. The biggest thing that helped me was an app on my phone that recorded everything I ate and all exercise I did. I set a goal that I was going to consume less than 1500 calories per day and burn over 2500. A lb of fat is basically 3500 calories. So, if you burn 1000 more calories than you take in per day, theoretically, you will be losing 2 lbs per week.

Now that you know that, you can do what you want to accomplish that goal of 1000 calorie deficit per day. If you think you need that large blizzard from Dairy Queen then you just have to realize, that is all you are going to eat all day. Now, if you decide to eat a ton of vegetables to fill you up along with some lean protein, then you can pretty much eat all day. THEN, you understand the decisions you need to make.

THIS WORKS....After I did it, I told several friends who got the app and tried it and it works. You then have all the information you need to make the appropriate decisions.

Once you have the weight loss accomplished, then you can use the app to learn what you can and can not eat to maintain the weight you want.

Good luck.

Consume fewer calories than you use for an extended period of time. Everything else is optional and entirely dependent upon what you can enjoy or tolerate doing. This sh#t's real simple, keep it that way. A lot of people make a lot of money making it seem much more complicated than it is.

It's not entirely that simple, there are plenty of little nuances. Plateaus and how you overcome them, eating enough so you don't screw up your metabolism and general health, and of course the hardest part which is the mental side of things.

• Fire 1

Consume fewer calories than you use for an extended period of time. Everything else is optional and entirely dependent upon what you can enjoy or tolerate doing. This sh#t's real simple, keep it that way. A lot of people make a lot of money making it seem much more complicated than it is.

It's not entirely that simple, there are plenty of little nuances. Plateaus and how you overcome them, eating enough so you don't screw up your metabolism and general health, and of course the hardest part which is the mental side of things.

And one mildly rotund nuance. :lol:

• Fire 1