Present Day Human Slavery

http://www.huffingto..._n_2607871.html

"

Super Bowl Is Single Largest Human Trafficking Incident In U.S.: Attorney General"

I don't watch the Super Bowl. Shame of those of you who do!

Well, that is pretty disgusting.

So...answer me this...why isn't there an all out HUGE effort the week of the Super Bowl, in whatever city it is in, to crack down on all prostitution?

I would think that if it is this prevalent, it would be almost easy to put a large force on the streets and in hotels to crack down.

500 men arrested for hiring prostitutes and the market would dry up ASAP.

"

Super Bowl Is Single Largest Human Trafficking Incident In U.S.: Attorney General"

So...answer me this...why isn't there an all out HUGE effort the week of the Super Bowl, in whatever city it is in, to crack down on all prostitution?

I would think that if it is this prevalent, it would be almost easy to put a large force on the streets and in hotels to crack down.

Going back to one of my original points and intentions in starting this and discussing it, a big reason for that is ignorance and lack of awareness. The atrocity of the super bowl trafficking has come to light in the last few years, and I don't know the numbers, but I think I read that last year's was an improvement over 2012 as far as combatting this. If you do a google search you'll also see plenty of articles about the upcoming SB and their efforts towards fighting this.

But give these people some credit - they aren't idiots. This stuff goes on pretty far underground. One of the negative side effects of making prostitution illegal is that it also can make it invisible.

"

Waste of taxpayer money, much better spent in millions of other ways.

The best way to remove the human slavery aspect of prostitution is to legalize it. There is a reason why its known as "The World's Oldest Profession" being illegal because of the sex-phobic religious influence has not made it go away, and nothing ever will make it go away. Nevada has it legal to a certain level, and it has not ended civilization in that state.

"

The best way to remove the human slavery aspect of prostitution is to legalize it. There is a reason why its known as "The World's Oldest Profession" being illegal because of the sex-phobic religious influence has not made it go away, and nothing ever will make it go away. Nevada has it legal to a certain level, and it has not ended civilization in that state.

^^^ This is a good point.

Legalize it and regulate it, and it's no longer slavery; it's willful employment. I don't just mean that semantically either - because it's illegal, because it's underground, there's a higher percentage of women being forced into it against their will, afraid or unable to try and escape because A) the law isn't set up to protect them but to punish them and B) if they're caught by their pimps and sellers the abuse to them and possibly to their family and loved ones can be extreme.

If it's regulated, the women have a safe® place to run if they're being forced, the brothels have to go through inspections and meet standards, and the only people punished for wrongdoing are the people that are guilty.

"

Legalize it and regulate it, and it's no longer slavery; it's willful employment. I don't just mean that semantically either - because it's illegal, because it's underground, there's a higher percentage of women being forced into it against their will, afraid or unable to try and escape because A) the law isn't set up to protect them but to punish them and B) if they're caught by their pimps and sellers the abuse to them and possibly to their family and loved ones can be extreme.

If it's regulated, the women have a safe® place to run if they're being forced, the brothels have to go through inspections and meet standards, and the only people punished for wrongdoing are the people that are guilty.

It is legal in some places. Like parts of Nevada. But I'm sure there are still illegal (unregistered?) prostitutes there too.

/ edit: Nice avi ya got there LL. :lol:

"

It is legal in some places. Like parts of Nevada. But I'm sure there are still illegal (unregistered?) prostitutes there too.

/ edit: Nice avi ya got there LL. :lol:

Partly due to the fact that it is legal in most of Nevada, but not in Vegas. Its something along the lines of it not being legal in any county with a population above a certain level. Which really makes no sense.

And some of it just goes with any business.

"

Or just, ya know, legalize it.

edit: Whoops, didn't notice it's already been covered. Carry on.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more optimistic news re: superbowl trafficking:

High school students, teens as young as 13 and other children reported missing by their families were among 16 juveniles rescued from forced prostitution during Super Bowl festivities in and around New Jersey, the FBI said Tuesday.

Authorities arrested more than 45 pimps and their helpers, some of whom said they traveled to the New York region to traffic the women and juveniles at the NFL championship at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

The teens, ages 13 to 17, were found in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. More than 50 women coerced into sex for money were also saved, the agency said. Some of the victims had been involved in international sex trafficking.

Six children were rescued in both New Jersey and New York, and four others in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, the FBI said.

Social services, which included food, clothing and referrals to health care facilities, shelters,were provided to 70 women and juveniles.

http://www.usatoday....tution/5207399/

• 3 months later...

Much of the cited data on trafficking is based on shaky estimates, and many conflate all sex work with trafficking. A 2003 study funded by the Agency for International Development used actual counts to estimate that 88 percent of female sex workers in Cambodia had not experienced coercion. A 2009 analysis of suspected trafficking cases reported by nongovernmental organizations in Cambodia concluded that 76 percent “had a prior knowledge that they would engage in prostitution-related activities.”

Article sheds some light on the farce which is much of sex slave trafficking allegations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/opinion/the-price-of-a-sex-slave-rescue-fantasy.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

• Fire 1

Much of the cited data on trafficking is based on shaky estimates, and many conflate all sex work with trafficking. A 2003 study funded by the Agency for International Development used actual counts to estimate that 88 percent of female sex workers in Cambodia had not experienced coercion. A 2009 analysis of suspected trafficking cases reported by nongovernmental organizations in Cambodia concluded that 76 percent “had a prior knowledge that they would engage in prostitution-related activities.”

Article sheds some light on the farce which is much of sex slave trafficking allegations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/opinion/the-price-of-a-sex-slave-rescue-fantasy.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

That's just it--we have a lot of folks throwing around the term 'sex trafficking', but failing to define it.

If you have women who are of age, willingly entering the trade, and are not coercing anyone else into said trade, then they're not 'trafficking sex'--they're selling it, which is different.

Of course, a lot of this stems from the Puritanical aspects of North American Christianity and how any sex outside of missionary in your bedroom is bad sex.

Yes, underage prostitution, pimping, sexual abuse are all bad, and no one is supporting them--but to lump in willing sex workers with the ones that are too young or are too powerless to truly consent undermines the credibility of these organizations reporting inflated numbers and casting a net larger than they should be.

And the big picture is that this maneuvering and 'slut shaming' by these Christian organizations is ultimately going to hurt the people that need their help the most.