Espn says we lost out in the realignment

So let me get this straight. We make a whole lot more money in the Big 10 than in the Big 12. We have our own conference tv channel in the Big10 network. We don't have to bow down to Texas. Etc. Etc. And yet our move to the Big10 was a bad one? Riiigghht.

So let me get this straight. We make a whole lot more money in the Big 10 than in the Big 12. We have our own conference tv channel in the Big10 network. We don't have to bow down to Texas. Etc. Etc. And yet our move to the Big10 was a bad one? Riiigghht.

Our move to the Big 10 was a no-brainer. It was a solid football decision, a solid athletic department decision and a slam-dunk on the academic and research grant end of things.

The analysis only concerns how the conference moves have worked out for the football teams so far, and based strictly on performance and expectation, how can you argue with a C grade?

While I certainly don't want to go back under Texas' wing, we haven't exactly thrived in a momentarily mediocre Big 10. If the grade is unfair, it's because it's hard to tell how we would have compared in the realigned Big 12. I think we might have done worse, which would mean the move would deserve a BETTER grade, but that would be pretty weird to celebrate.

In terms of perception and expectations a C seems about right for now. Some of these "future outlooks" will be proven wrong. Hope we're one of them. But shooting the messenger is silly.

Missouri had a good run(not a lot of injuries helped) in a crappy division this year, that doesn't make "the move" good or bad...that will prove out over the next 50 years. I do think A and M has a very unique advantage being in Texas pitching playing in the SEC to all those kids in Texas and an alternative to UT. we had nowhere but the b10 to go . we weren't going to the SEC or PAc 10....

this article is ESPN needing to publish something...anything. this is like predicting a games outcome on the first play of the game. there is long way to go..

Nebraska issues have nothing to do with realignment...Nebraska issues has everything to do with Nebraska...and Nebraska alone..

• Fire 1

ESPN is a direct competitor to the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten Network currently poses one of the biggest threats to ESPN's billions of dollars per year college football industry.

ESPN rates our move to the Big Ten poorly?,

Color me surprised.

Since ABC/ESPN gets dibs on the best B1G games, it's hard to see how they're competitors. ESPN gets $5 per subscriber. B1G Network isn't close to that.

Let's keep this in context. This is an article from espn.com. It wasn't a story run on the network.

I just glanced over the list. Lost any credebility it had whn placing Nebraska behind Pitt.

Oh.......what a shocker....A&M and Mizzou take top 2 spots......

Nice to see you keep up with current events. One team went from unrankd in the big 12 to a top 7 school. The other team was a top 10 team with a heismen winner. Nebraska went from a top 20 team to an ranked.....avg at best team. When we went to a conference that's consider soft.

ESPN is a direct competitor to the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten Network currently poses one of the biggest threats to ESPN's billions of dollars per year college football industry.

ESPN rates our move to the Big Ten poorly?

Color me surprised.

Ooh. And the old wise master is on to something again. Even from his rascal scooter he realizes ESPN is a fuxking joke ruled by the almighty dollar. Metamucil is an amazing thing.

This assessment is spot on and I shamefully concur with Espn's assessment of our conference change. In my mind, a couple of things are causing Nebraska to lose the respect of the fans and writers nationwide. The first, is the increased amount of coverage for college football as a whole. The Nebraska brand had an upsurge at the same time CFB was made available to television viewers. I can't really speak for the 70s, but I have seen footage so I know it was being broadcast, but in the 80s games were not on 5 days a week, 12 hours a day. There was maybe 3 games a day, and maybe even just one, on tv and that slot was at 2:30. Everyone watched that game. The second reason is no more OU/Nebraska . As someone who lives outside of the state, my Nebraska apparel is constantly mentioned. But the people who mention are almost always 55 plus, and their comments are similar. "Nebraska, huh, man those were some epic battles they had with OU. How I loved watching those teams smash it out." That is dead to everyone young. Ohio State still has Michigan, Florida State/Florida, Notre Dame/Michigan, etc. We have Iowa. Not last, but last for here, is we have not won anything big or looked good in big games. Even two or three years ago, people I work with would constantly be ribbing me, via text or telephone, about the beat down Nebraska was taking in any given game that was on TV. That ended a couple years ago. This year, we lost to Minnesota and not one of my co workers texted me or even mentioned it at work. I lie, there was one asshat that texted me "Man, I wish we could schedule Nebraska this year" He's a University of Louisiana-Lafayette fan. My point is, it's not fun to beat a fan when their team annually disappoints, underachieves and is generally embarrassed on any sort of national stage. People have better things to do besides be in awe of Nebraska.

I think it is a little pretentious that anyone expects the country to think Nebraska is a top tier program. We have not won anything in over a decade

I like how people are upset of this assessment even though it's 100% correct. Too many posters on this board thought we would come into this conference and push most other teams around. They constantly call the Big Ten crap. They always play the what if game and how if we didn't lose fumbles so much we would have won. it cracks me up. So much hate and disdain for the Big Ten. I get it. Changed happened and it's hard for most to comprehend and we don't have a solid rival anymore like OU. We don't have much of a history with the Big Ten teams. But there is no reason to put down the Big Ten when they could have left us in the Big 12 to squirm. Since we haven't gotten the results we expected from our Huskers a lot of posters have distorted reality. Until we win this conference year in and year out we don't any right to complain how much this conference sucks.

This assessment is spot on and I shamefully concur with Espn's assessment of our conference change. In my mind, a couple of things are causing Nebraska to lose the respect of the fans and writers nationwide. The first, is the increased amount of coverage for college football as a whole. The Nebraska brand had an upsurge at the same time CFB was made available to television viewers. I can't really speak for the 70s, but I have seen footage so I know it was being broadcast, but in the 80s games were not on 5 days a week, 12 hours a day. There was maybe 3 games a day, and maybe even just one, on tv and that slot was at 2:30. Everyone watched that game. The second reason is no more OU/Nebraska . As someone who lives outside of the state, my Nebraska apparel is constantly mentioned. But the people who mention are almost always 55 plus, and their comments are similar. "Nebraska, huh, man those were some epic battles they had with OU. How I loved watching those teams smash it out." That is dead to everyone young. Ohio State still has Michigan, Florida State/Florida, Notre Dame/Michigan, etc. We have Iowa. Not last, but last for here, is we have not won anything big or looked good in big games. Even two or three years ago, people I work with would constantly be ribbing me, via text or telephone, about the beat down Nebraska was taking in any given game that was on TV. That ended a couple years ago. This year, we lost to Minnesota and not one of my co workers texted me or even mentioned it at work. I lie, there was one asshat that texted me "Man, I wish we could schedule Nebraska this year" He's a University of Louisiana-Lafayette fan. My point is, it's not fun to beat a fan when their team annually disappoints, underachieves and is generally embarrassed on any sort of national stage. People have better things to do besides be in awe of Nebraska.

I think it is a little pretentious that anyone expects the country to think Nebraska is a top tier program. We have not won anything in over a decade

I like how people are upset of this assessment even though it's 100% correct. Too many posters on this board thought we would come into this conference and push most other teams around. They constantly call the Big Ten crap. They always play the what if game and how if we didn't lose fumbles so much we would have won. it cracks me up. So much hate and disdain for the Big Ten. I get it. Changed happened and it's hard for most to comprehend and we don't have a solid rival anymore like OU. We don't have much of a history with the Big Ten teams. But there is no reason to put down the Big Ten when they could have left us in the Big 12 to squirm. Since we haven't gotten the results we expected from our Huskers a lot of posters have distorted reality. Until we win this conference year in and year out we don't any right to complain how much this conference sucks.

Edit.

Please tell me outside of visibility what was inaccurate about the assessment of Nebraska's performance in the Big Ten so far.

The Nebraska brand has gone stale under coach Bo Pelini in the Big Ten. The Huskers have been solid, but they haven't been great and have almost been reduced to second-tier status behind the likes of Ohio State.

So Callahan was successful?

Next year, Nebraska will be in the division opposite Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, which will make for an easier road to the Big Ten championship game, but also less desirable home schedules.

With Wisconsin there, and the possibility of Northwestern staying relevant (remember they were also decimated with injuries) I don't think the home schedule will be that bad.

Nebraska's big rivalry game these days is Iowa, which doesn't exactly move the needle, especially for a program that once played in one of college football's top rivalries (against Oklahoma).

I guess they're right here.

Recruits seem to be sensing the unrest, too. Nebraska currently has a recruiting ranking outside the top 40. That would have been heresy for the Nebraska of the old Big Eight.[/Quote]

I'm sure this has more to do with the uncertainty in coaching that's been going on pretty much all year.

What about the increase of money and revenue sharing that has increased? (and will get higher as you become a full member)

Had you not left, would you be happy with no conference championship game?

I'm trying to find a team that I would compare Nebraska to image wise. I'm thinking maybe Clemsonish? Oklahoma State?

One of the only reasons that Nebraska still is in any top ten lists(i.e. most desirable coaching jobs, college atmospheres, best programs, etc) is the arrogance of our fan base. The "what about us" motto has kept us somewhat nationally viable, but we better win something soon.

In honesty, the Big 12 plays everyone in their conference, so you really are the true champion. I do like the CCG deal though. But it is only about money. I can honestly say the only draw for me coming to the Big 10, was the chance to play Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Now that that is basically gone, we end up with a bunch of ragtag teams, and wins over them will have very little significance in the play off scenario. Plus the fact that we have not really been competitive in the league makes it worse. I know but we won fill in the blank games, but getting curb stomped takes away from that for me.

And I do not know if we can get competitive, be it with Bo or anyone else. Some who claim to know the inner workings of the program, seem to think so. But it all falls on recruiting anymore. We have improved, but we are no where near Michigan or Ohio State, seem to be losing ground on Michigan State and Wisconsin.

You look at recruiting rankings for the last ten years, the BCS national champions and every single one has finished in the top five on numerous years but Ohio States win. That to me spells a lot of problems.

I think ESPN hit the nail on the head as to where we are, but it really has little to do with the move.