Future Expectations and Benchmarks

Getting their doors blown in the CCG, or not playing for it, should be cause for coaching change next year if the current head coach is still the coach.

I don't know. The only team with an easier schedule than Nebraska is Wisconsin. We have to go up there. I could easily see us only having 1 conference loss, and still missing out on the CCG. If we are 11-1 at the end of the season, is that still cause for a coaching change? or 10-2?

That situation would be a sticky one, for sure. I would say probably not, but it wouldn't be very fun around here. They'd probably make a damn good bowl if that happened, against a pretty good team. And depending on who they played and how they played, it would be a pretty good year.

But man next year actually scares me. They could lose every away game and it wouldn't stun me.

Getting their doors blown in the CCG, or not playing for it, should be cause for coaching change next year if the current head coach is still the coach.

I don't know. The only team with an easier schedule than Nebraska is Wisconsin. We have to go up there. I could easily see us only having 1 conference loss, and still missing out on the CCG. If we are 11-1 at the end of the season, is that still cause for a coaching change? or 10-2?

That situation would be a sticky one, for sure. I would say probably not, but it wouldn't be very fun around here. They'd probably make a damn good bowl if that happened, against a pretty good team. And depending on who they played and how they played, it would be a pretty good year.

But man next year actually scares me. They could lose every away game and it wouldn't stun me.

Next year scares me, because we could actually be a worse football team, and still finish 10-3, or be much worse, and still finish 9-4.

But yes, those 5 away games will all be toss-ups in the early predictions. Sad we've gotten to the point where we can't even be confident we'll beat Fresno State.

Let's start with a B1G title. That will make 99% of us quite happy.

True but I'm asking if the season is seen as a good season if we make a major bowl but not the playoff. Winning a conference title and making a major bowl aren't mutally exclusive.

How did I imply that they were mutually exclusive? Mutually exclusive means they can't both happen. Winning the conference title guarantees a major bowl, so of course the two can both happen, and usually do.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a "BCS bowl" next season. The Sugar and Rose bowls are both part of the playoff, so if we make one of those, we are in the playoff. The Cotton, Fiesta, Chick-Fil-A and Orange bowls will be the major rotating non-playoff bowls that we could be selected for. If we go, say, 10-2, and get in one of those four, I would consider it a "good season" but not as good as winning the B1G title. It all depends on your definition of "good" I guess. It would certainly be a hell of lot better than this season, but still not as satisfying as a conference championship.

Let's start with a B1G title. That will make 99% of us quite happy.

True but I'm asking if the season is seen as a good season if we make a major bowl but not the playoff. Winning a conference title and making a major bowl aren't mutally exclusive.

How did I imply that they were mutually exclusive? Mutually exclusive means they can't both happen. Winning the conference title guarantees a major bowl, so of course the two can both happen, and usually do.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a "BCS bowl" next season. The Sugar and Rose bowls are both part of the playoff, so if we make one of those, we are in the playoff. The Cotton, Fiesta, Chick-Fil-A and Orange bowls will be the major rotating non-playoff bowls that we could be selected for. If we go, say, 10-2, and get in one of those four, I would consider it a "good season" but not as good as winning the B1G title. It all depends on your definition of "good" I guess. It would certainly be a hell of lot better than this season, but still not as satisfying as a conference championship.

Never said you implied anything I was just asking for more clearification if you thought a good season could be obtained without winning a conference championship which you did in your second paragraph. Also I am aware that there are no longer "BCS bowls" just used the term to describe which bowls I meant aka rose sugar orange fiesta and so on because I couldn't remember what term if any they assigned to these bowls.

I don't have a lot of hard and fast benchmarks the team has to meet. My number one priority is simply that they play better in all facets of the game, win games they should, don't get blown out in any, and for the love of God, play and coach all 4 quarters for once.

As far as more tangible things;

1- We're Nebraska- we belong in the top 25. Do what it takes to get there and stay there every week. I would've said top 15 but I am willing to accept baby steps for now.

2- I do think, as far as this current staff is concerned, there are some hard and fast requirements at this point in time. Winning our division and at least playing well in the CCG would be a bare minimum for the upcoming season.

I wouldn't say I "expect" any of this to happen, but if it doesn't, Pelini and Co. can go packing.

• Fire 1

I'm curious....... what if we have a similar number of injuries *knock on wood* as we did this year? Will that automatically cause some of you to back off these 11 and 12 win requirements, 0-2 loss requirements, CCG appearance demands? It sure seemed to be a pretty universal excuse (explanation) for the results of this past season by many posters hereabouts.

I'm curious....... what if we have a similar number of injuries *knock on wood* as we did this year? Will that automatically cause some of you to back off these 11 and 12 win requirements, 0-2 loss requirements, CCG appearance demands? It sure seemed to be a pretty universal excuse (explanation) for the results of this past season by many posters hereabouts.

I'd back off my expectations in the face of multiple, serious injuries. Sure we can expect to lose a guy or two over the course of a season. But it's just unreasonably bad luck to lose our starting QB, backup QB (for a couple games), and 80% of our O-line. It would be silly to think we'd not drop off some after this level of injury.

OTOH, if we have those same kinds of injuries next year (heaven forbid), then we need to ask some serious questions about or strength and condition program.

I would say that we have a lot to fill in on the O-line and in the secondary. I feel 10-2 regular season is the mark to feel good from this far out.

However, at this time last year, I said the same thing. I look at our 8-4 mark now and I am not happy, but I understand.

Depending on what events unfold can change what makes a season good or not, but if all you care about is a number I say 10.